Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 pm

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Statistics
We have 1577 registered users
The newest registered user is errik100

Our users have posted a total of 30522 messages in 2300 subjects

I forgot my password

SOWWL Purchasing, SP use advice

3 posters

Go down

SOWWL Purchasing, SP use advice  Empty SOWWL Purchasing, SP use advice

Post  Hannibal Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:59 am

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to buy SOW:WL, and download the KS mod of course.

Where is the best place to buy it? I've heard mixed reports about Steam and SOW:WL.

Also; in your opinion, what is the AI like? I have an idea of using the game to resolve battles for a solo campaign I have in mind- both sides would be AI and I would be a spectator or command some insignificant little command. Is this feasible, or is the AI rather strange and unrealistic?

Many thanks!

Hannibal
Hannibal

http://www.littlecaesars.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

SOWWL Purchasing, SP use advice  Empty Re: SOWWL Purchasing, SP use advice

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:09 am

Good morning Your Majesty Wink

I don't have a personal preference over the Steam vs Matrix version. You may see a price difference of a few $$$ if that's important for you. If you buy the Matrix version you get a Steam key as well and I have been watching the Matrix forums recently and their tech support seems quite good. I play Steam games in other genres (FPS) and have never had a problem with them and their update interface, etc is really slick and helpful. I've never had need to use their tech support though - which is probably a good sign in its own right.

The AI of WL is much improved over GB and the cavalry behaviour is particularly good. You may see some anomalous behaviour in the small details but the overall result at, say, the division or corps level, feels about right. Just don't focus too much on what individual squadrons or battalions are doing because their behaviour can sometimes look strange down at the melee/charge/halt/counter move level.

We like to think the KS Mod improves the game (or else we wouldn't have invested so much time in making it) and we are especially happy with the new power of well-sited artillery, skirmishers vs formed troops and the brigade formations.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Two people here had problems with the Steam version. One of those may have been due to DirectX9 not being installed. Regardless, I'd recommend buying the game from Matrix. First, their help support is very good and second, you actually own the game you pay for. You're not renting it.

Last summer, I actually used the game and the KS players to resolve a few of the battles I had while playing Campaigns Along the Danube. These were co-op games vs the AI and gave very believable results. The AI won as many as the players. I would think the AI playing itself would be somewhat similar. You will likely have to take the role of CinC of one of the armies as you'll want one to attack and the other to defend. You'd give your corps or division commanders an initial movement order and stance. After that, you could just be a spectator.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down