Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

Go down

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory! Empty Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

Post  WJPalmer Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Few would dispute the symbiotic relationship between beer and wargaming. However, while attending the 200th commemoration last June I stumbled upon a strong historical connection between brewskis and the 1815 conflict. During the Battle a local brewery just happened to be in full operation at Braine l’Alleud, only a couple of kilometers from the battlefield. This business, then known as "Market Brewery", dated from 1456 but enjoyed a major expansion coincidentally in the year 1815. Not so coincidentally, it also kept Wellington's army well-supplied (Could this have been the REAL reason behind the Duke's choice of this battlefield?). Shocked
History of Waterloo Beer

This establishment today is the Waterloo Brewery, which creates a micro-brew from the same recipe served to the Anglo-Allies. My wife and I were able to sample it on a couple of occasions and (I especially) thought it quite good. Below are a few shots from our first encounter with Waterloo Beer, fittingly at a pub/restaurant on the Mont St. Jean ridge at the intersection of Route du Lion and Chaussée de Charleroi.

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory! _rwb1210

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory! _rwb1310

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory! _rwb1211

While enjoying the brew this strange fellow in a tall, hairy hat strolled into Josephine's looking for directions to the battlefield and was instantly mugged by admiring tourists, most of whom appeared to be English sympathizers, such as this one (let's call him "Martin"). Only after 20 minutes did "Martin" and his ilk allow the instant celebrity to go on his way.

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory! _rwb1610

BTW, the avatar I'm now sporting is a photo of the Waterloo: Beer of Victory coaster. And, yes, I confess to absconding with a few... pirat
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down