Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

BATTLE FOR SATURDAY 6/28 DETAILS

+7
KCarter1
Mr. Digby
Martin
WJPalmer
MajorByrd
Leffe7
Father General
11 posters

Go down

BATTLE FOR SATURDAY 6/28 DETAILS Empty BATTLE FOR SATURDAY 6/28 DETAILS

Post  Father General Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 am

A battle will be fought in Node 17 on the Gettysburg main map. It is a stock map, so everyone should have it.

The battle will take place at 12:00 noon Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -8/2000 ZULU).

I STRONGLY suggest you arrive as much as an hour early to TEST your setup, mods and that you can connect to the host without crashing.

If a player drops within the first 10 minutes of launch, we may restart at the discretion of the side commanders.

If a key player drops within the first 20 minutes of launch, we may restart at the discretion of the side commanders. It will be up to them if the player is "key" or not.

After 20 minutes, there will be no restart no matter who drops.

If the battle crashes early and without resolution, likely within 75 minutes in, we will examine the problem and refight the following weekend, assuming we can get enough players. If not we will postpone until July 12. Note, I will be absent on July 12 and out of communication, except possibly by phone and brief email. (I'll be in San Francisco.)

A second battle will follow this one as part of the current turn.

I need a volunteer for a host. If you can do it, post here. I will send you the scenario file tomorrow (Friday).

Host please send me the gamedump file so I can apply the results.

Units who do well and commanders who have participated in immersion activities such as writing After Action Reports, letters, or other items of curiosity and interest will receive minor rewards for doing so.

Please avoid gamey tactics, try to think and play historically. Officer scouting will be permitted, but please keep it within reason. Again, try to think and act historically.

A 2 hour limit will be set on the battle but I think we can resolve in in 90 minutes.

The Union player has an end condition which he (Kevin) is aware of. Should that condition be satisfied, he may end the game early by announcing the condition is met, and the game is to end directly.

Someone save the replay and game dump.

We will pick sides on Saturday morning. If you have a custom unit in the fight, take it for yourself. If not, fill in as you can.

I will play if needed, and the Little Father General allows, on the side that needs me.

Post questions to me here or by email.

Remember to try to arrive early.

Thanks,

-Neal

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

BATTLE FOR SATURDAY 6/28 DETAILS Empty Re: BATTLE FOR SATURDAY 6/28 DETAILS

Post  Father General Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 am

The scenario is built and tested and works wonderfully.

I will send the files to the host for local testing as soon as I have a designated host.

We're good to go! Think about your sides and strategies...
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 am

Neal wrote: Host please send me the gamedump file so I can apply the results.

For the carryover to work, Neal will need the gamedump file for each battle. This can be provided by the host or any other player who is in the game till it ends.
There are two ways to create that file.

A) Open the sowgb.ini file in your SOW \Work folder.
Add AutoGameDB=1 to your [Debug] section:
[Debug]
AutoGameDB=1

This will automatically produce a GameDump file after every of your games, even if you “Quit Game” instead of “End Battle”.

OR

B) Alternatively, When your SOW scenario has ended, select END BATTLE (do not select QUIT GAME!). Select BATTLE DETAILS and then DUMP GAME DATABASE.

To find the file, go to your SOW \Work folder and open your GameDump File. It is called "SowGB_gamedb_mm-dd-yy_hh-mm-ss.csv", where the date and time match the moment you selected DUMP GAME DATABASE before.

Kind Regards
Stefan
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:49 am

Good News!

CHISWICK, FRESH HORSES!!!!
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:26 pm

I am available as a backup host. Having a certain amount of rust built up from being out of the KS loop for a number of months, perhaps it would be best if a primary host from the regular KS HITS ranks (e.g., Mitra has a new machine and fast connection  Smile ) steps in for this one?
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Are "whisper" discussions permitted in the campaign and, if so, what arrangements & understanding will there be for these when player/commanders are in proximity? It may be best to avoid, if possible, the added delay and confusion (especially for players new to KS HITS) of trying to figure out, set-up and use whisper keys as the game is being organized. GCM players in particular are, I suspect, unfamiliar with their use. Are designated whisper channels possible on KS Teamspeak? Or alternatively, I'm sure GCM TS is available with it's already established "whisper chat" channels. Anyway, just wanted to anticipate potential complications.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Good question, Ron. We have always allowed the use of whisper keys, if generals are together. But for quite a while now, their actual use has largely fallen into abeyance, because of the disadvantages you highlight.

With the sheer number of players, and so many new to KS games, you may be right that it would be best to avoid the delay & confusion of setting up the whisper keys. It's a lot simpler just to rely on couriers.

And if players are together, it's quite possible to have a reasonable conversation using couriers, as there is no lag in receipt.

Thoughts, Neal?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Whispers are allowed but I for one can't use them. My TS setup seems to be slightly corrupt and won't allow me to set them up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success. In my specific case you'll just have to send me couriers from 6 feet away Wink

Whisper short cut keys need to be set up but it can be a long and painful process with 15+ (mostly new players).

The alternative is leaving channels and going to a private channel temporarily but this will require a second monitor since we'll all be in full-screen and tabbing out to TS will stop the game. The reason we in the KS group introduced whispers is because changing channels involved running the game in a window (and thus crashing our games).

Whispers are the only way to go (lots of time to set up and a bit tedious), or couriers sent at point blank range. I've done the latter a few times and its surprisingly easy to have quite a long conversation this way.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 pm

I myself am not in favor of 2-3+ Whisper keys.

One has to be very careful as to only pick whisper keys which are not in any way used by the game since it will crash it immediately.

15+ players might be near immpossible without involving Mr. Cockup
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Channel Switching would work for me for whisper, as I run TS on a seperate Macbook when I play. There would be a learning curve as far as when it would be permissible to whisper to another commander however, I think for most GCM players. I suppose my third party understanding is that its an arbitrary proximity of distance, like we gauge our 200yd rule in GCM? In other words, if you are within 200 yds or X___ yds or so from a team mate, you can whisper? Right?

Either way... I think I can adapt. Strictly Couriers may indeed be best however, to just avoid any confusion all together...
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Yes.

Since we all play in Fullscreen, switching sadly is out of the question.

Couriers will have to suffice.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:18 pm

In the past the KS group has used whisper keys only when the avatars are in actual contact, right beside each other. One has to assume a lot of noise going on so yelling from 200 yards wouldn't feel right. Wink

If people have second screens or even second computers I have no issues with whispering or even moving players to different channels as long as you move them back afterwards!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:36 pm

lol... Sure, that makes sense... Hence the caveot "or X___ yds. ...", as I didn't know what the distance was  Wink ... I was just relating it to our GCM distance for scouting, not figuring it was realistic historically for a commander to be able to shout 200yds over the roar & crackle of musketry, haha....

But hey, you never know... Maybe we're in an Acoustic Shadow...? lol

Sounds like strictly couriers is the way to go though.
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:05 pm

No problem to host.

For who want make the check of compatibility, I'll be online on KS TS this evening 20:00 british time, we can gain time for tomorrow.

Kevin, perhaps I remember wrongly, but there is not a file to remove from the Large Couriers new installation for the Gettysburg map?

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:38 am

Unfortunately, I couldn't make this one. Have a great game gentlemen.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Davide wrote:Kevin, perhaps I remember wrongly, but there is not a file to remove from the Large Couriers new installation for the Gettysburg map?
No, the Gburg files are fine. No changes need to be made.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:41 pm

So do we need the restricted movement mod installed for this as well? or no?
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:45 pm

no
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks Solider