Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Two Part Scenario

+7
Martin
kg_sspoom
kg little mac
Iberalc
Mr. Digby
WSH Baylor
WJPalmer
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Two Part Scenario Empty Two Part Scenario

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 pm

I have an idea for a two part scenario played on Davinci's 10 mile map. Part one will be devoted to reconnaissance and maneuver. Part two will be fighting the battle and completing a strategic objective.

For the first segment, the players will take active control of a light cavalry brigade and ride out ahead of the advancing corps. The mission will be to ascertain the position of the enemy, the size of its forces and its direction of march while denying that same information to the enemy. In the meantime, the divisions will move to positions selected by the CinC which will likely intercept the enemy's advance and also possibly position it to capture its strategic objective and deny the enemy his. Of course each side will be ignorant of the other's intent. The CinCs will have to guess what this may be from the information his light cavalry provides.

The second part of the scenario will place the players in their traditional roles of division commanders. They will take command of their units in the position they were moved to during part one. The goal here of course is to defeat the enemy, capture the strategic objective if possible while denying the enemy the same opportunity.

Ideally for the first part, we would need 5 players on each side, 4 division commanders and a CinC. More can be accommodated of course. At a minimum we'd need 8 but the CinC would be at a large disadvantage trying to maneuver the divisions into optimal position while actively managing a cavalry brigade. We'll need a few GCMers like last week to pull this off.

If people are interested, perhaps one of the Martins can put up a doodle. It would be useful for both teams if CinC's could be selected ahead of time so they have an opportunity to study their briefing and unit positions to come up with a plan of action. This will involve the Austrians and French, schnitzels vs snails.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Two Part Scenario Empty Re: Two Part Scenario

Post  WJPalmer Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Looks interesting -- and that it would be really easy to biff up your chances in part 2 if the intel received in the course of part 1 is shaky.

More GCM'ers are expressing interest all the time. Another one today has asked about getting registered in these forums.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  WSH Baylor Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Hopefully, ACW?

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Sorry Jack, you're going to have to get used to tight pants and wearing feathers in your hat.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Here is a doodle poll for the first of Kevin's two games. Please sign up!

http://doodle.com/sdf7dgq6dgxnurtm

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 pm

Is this 2 parts scenario just 1 game on SOWB? confused

When I read Kevin's explanation I thought he was talking about having 2 battles on SOWB.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Yes, I understand it will be two battles with the second dependent on how the first one goes.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Ok and will both be played the same day? First the "exploration" part and then in a row the "general engament part".
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Each of the 2 phases will be fought on different weekends.

Thanks Martin, for putting up the doodle.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Two Part Scenario <a href=Two Part Scenario Situat10" />

With the Austrian army fully mobilized, it would be a pity not to use it.  This being especially true since war has just been secretly declared against France and two French corps remain separated and encamped in Bavaria.  The Archduke Charles, with uncharacteristic swiftness is moving his army SE to interpose itself between the corps of Davout and Lefebvre.  Being nearly 100 kilometers apart, should the Austrians succeed in this maneuver, they will have taken up a central position where Charles can easily overwhelm each in turn.  Apparently three years of peace and study has turned the Austrian army and its commander into a formidable foe.

Only Général de division Dominique Vandamme and his Bavarians and Wurtembergers stand as a thin line in opposition.  They must hold back the tidal wave and buy time for Davout and Lefebvre to march in support.  Vandamme, extremely aggressive and a looter of the first order, would not be the Emperor's first choice for a defensive mission.  But in a situation where sitting and waiting to be attacked is a recipe for disaster, the general can be counted on to vigorously oppose any enemy advance, regardless of its size.

The Archduke's army is spearheaded by Feldmarschall-Leutnant Freidrich von Hohenzollern-Hechingen's 3rd corps.  The Feldmarschall is by far the best officer in the Austrian army having participated in the defeat of Napoleon twice and in capturing Nicolas Soult in 1800.  Without doubt, the Prinz is prepared to fight.  He will spare no effort to smash through the Germans and cut a wide swath for the army to follow.

The goal of this phase of the battle is to find the enemy, determine his strength and concentrate your forces in such a place to defeat him and carry out your mission.  Every division has light cavalry available to carry out this mission.  Some divisions also have cuirassiers.  That is heavy cavalry and was never used for this purpose.
Phase 2 will start with your divisions in their final location in this phase.  So if you don't want your corps spread out and not in a good position to attack or defend, the CinC will need to be constantly informed concerning the enemy's intentions.

For part 1 of this scenario there will be a few rules in effect.
As usual, players cannot scout more than 250 yd. in front of their troops.

You can use your cavalry to deny the enemy the ability to gather information about your forces, or you can try to avoid enemy patrols in order to find the enemy divisions.
Since this part of the scenario is all about scouting and feeling out the enemy position, no cavalry attacks on the infantry or artillery are allowed.  This is so players do not have to worry about leaving their division behind in order to stay with the cavalry.  In fact you may not approach any closer than 400 yd of the these troops.  That is close enough for you to be able to count flags and determine the direction of march.  Remember, the arty will deploy and start shooting if you get too close.  Canister reaches out to those distances.
Fighting can occur between the scouting cavalry units.  However, all casualties received will be carried over to part 2.  So if you get your cavalry destroyed in this phase of the battle, you will be at some disadvantage in the real fight.

Since this map has a fair amount of woods, artillery will only be able to move through it along roads.  It can deploy along the edge of the woods, but not inside it.  This is not really relevant to this phase of the battle, but you may not want your division deployed or fighting in the middle of the woods at the start of the next phase.

Doodle is here: http://doodle.com/sdf7dgq6dgxnurtm
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Sounds great, I am sure it will be a thrilling experience!

My concern is that maybe the scenario is designed with the idea of having exactly the same players for both battles. I won't be able to play on december 5th, 6th & 7th as we have a bank holyday in Spain and I will be on a short family trip.

If it is understood that some players will not be able to play both battles, I will play this first one.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Pepe wrote:My concern is that maybe the scenario is designed with the idea of having exactly the same players for both battles.
No, there is no need for the same people to be in each battle. It may be best for the CinCs to be present in both since it is their strategy that will be on trial. Embarassed
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Excellent, I am in.

Playing in such a big map, the CinCs will thank that the couriers don't get tired, if they arrive at all. Rolling Eyes
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Player numbers are a little thin at the moment; can our loyal GCM friends drum up any more people from that group?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Seems like a whole lot of marching to me.

And Kevin knows full well I like to get my division destroyed as quickly as possible.

http://forums.sowmp.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=838
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:26 pm

And Kevin knows full well I like to get my division destroyed as quickly as possible.
You are aiming much too low. You have the opportunity to get an entire corps destroyed. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Looks like the game will be on Saturday at 20:00GMT. We need 2 volunteers for CinC. I'm sure there will be a rush to fill the positions. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:10 pm

I saw that Friday was pretty much a washout and Sunday had a 'no' from 1 player so I've trimmed the poll to just Saturday now.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Saturday doesn't work for me
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Re CinC, I could do it if no-one else volunteers. However I cannot play at all next weekend, so it would be much better if others take the roles on this occasion.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Steve - can you do Sunday at 19:00 GMT?

Kevin, why are their 2 French LoCs?

EDIT: Kevin, I'll command the Austrians.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Kevin, I'll command the Austrians.
Well done! I'll send the briefing.

The French have two LOCs because Vandamme is between the two other corps, one to the east and one to the west.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Sunday is workable for me
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Are we playing today or tomorrow? I can do either, but not both.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 pm

We seem to be a bit short on players so far, assuming we need 10.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next