Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

KS Napoleon Mod 1.21

3 posters

Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.21 Empty KS Napoleon Mod 1.21

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:45 am

I've uploaded a new version of the mod which is compatible with SowWL 1.01.  I also included some of the changes Mitra made in the stock dll file.  So it is different from the one I posted earlier in the version 1.01 patch announcement.

The link is in the first post of this thread: Setup For SOWWL Napoleon Mod
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.21 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod 1.21

Post  Guest Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 am

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 am

My Austrian general's reaction to hearing the new music.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/MusicToMyEars.jpg

...was immediately reminded of...

http://img15.deviantart.net/593d/i/2011/267/8/3/2d_of_gorillaz_by_riu_yuri-d4as3uu.png
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am

On a more serious note we talked a while back about Austrians sometimes forming columns of division. I think you get this with the combat tab and they move in this manner with a brigade order. If you order a single battalion to go into column the units use column of companies.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Austrian_Columns.jpg

Hopefully it is linked to the brigade combat move formations only so should be easy to track down.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Those wacky Austrians, what can I say. Clearly they are avant garde in the music scene. Music is selected by the KS DJ, Mike Morsey. All complaints should be directed to him.

The formation issue was a mistake in unitglobal. It's fixed now. Although in my defense, the column of divisions was the official formation in the Austrian manual. However, Archduke Charles preferred to use column of companies as he thought it was easier to maneuver on the battlefield. Obviously he did ride with a reggae band, as smoking a bone would explain the inconsistency. drunken
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:45 pm

WOW I know have a title! drunken

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 am

I discovered yesterday while building a scenario that the Russian brigade single line formation actually produces a double line formation.

For those nations that historically rarely used columns like the British and the early nations, could we have a pure double line formation back instead of the second line as columns?

Could we have a pure double line brigade formation anyway? I think I prefer it, at least visually, despite the pathfinding problems.

Can we delete the laying down option for everyone except the British (and presumably their 1815 Allies?). Would it be possible to just have skirmishers lay down? Might it be possible to allow units to only lay down x hundred yards from the nearest enemy to represent tired formations being rested? X would be a big number, maybe 600 or 700, the idea being that you'd rest whole brigades in rear, not individual battalions.

Thanks.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 pm

For those nations that historically rarely used columns like the British and the early nations, could we have a pure double line formation back instead of the second line as columns?
The British double line still has everyone in line formation, that hasn't changed.

The reason I changed the brigade fighting formation was two-fold.  First, it was extremely rare, if ever, that an entire brigade would be committed to battle.  Rather, individual battalions would be sent into the fray.  By using the double line formation, the brigade commanders now tend to use only the front line in the fighting, keeping the second in reserve.  This is much more accurate than what we've had.

Second, most of the problems that we and the AI have during the battle is trying to manage the Chinese fire drill of all the battalions trying to find a position on the firing line.  They march back and forth swirling around for many minutes, march perpendicularly along the firing line, oblivious to the enemy and severely overlap with other battalions in not only their own brigade but those of other brigades as well.  I find this to be the most ruinous aspect of the game.  Aesthetics apart, the defensive line was usually just one line thick.  Punch through it and you've broken completely through.  That also was not historically accurate.  Defensive lines were always composed of multiple layers.

The games played during the last two weeks, when the change was made, have looked noticeably different.  There is much less congestion on the front line, brigades do not overlap as much, fighting their way to the front and the lines are now several layers deep.

Could we have a pure double line brigade formation anyway? I think I prefer it, at least visually, despite the pathfinding problems.
Sorry, this is my Brexit, for the reasons given above.  This is also more historically accurate.  Much of the time, units not on the front line were kept in maneuver columns.

Can we delete the laying down option for everyone except the British (and presumably their 1815 Allies?). Would it be possible to just have skirmishers lay down? Might it be possible to allow units to only lay down x hundred yards from the nearest enemy to represent tired formations being rested? X would be a big number, maybe 600 or 700, the idea being that you'd rest whole brigades in rear, not individual battalions.
We can prevent most formations from laying down.  We have no say over skirmishers.  That prohibition is set in the game code and can't be modified.  For the same reason, we also can't make laying down conditional.  It is all or nothing.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:38 pm

We need a referendum before you can Brexit.

But joking aside, yup, okay.

My vote is for a no lay-down rule then, though if it can be done by nationality it would be most reasonable to let the British/Portuguese/KGL/etc have the ability but no-one else.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  scauispo Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:46 pm

You can try for an in-game rule, "troops of particular nationalities (especially Russians)- no-lay down"
scauispo
scauispo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:55 pm

I am fine with the no lay down game rule by nationality.  One of the documentaries I watched about Borodino pointed out the Russian were not ones to lay down regardless of how bad the bombs bursting in air were.

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:04 pm

"Lay down" can be implemented by nationality. It is also possible to have one formation in each army that can lay down, if desired.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:45 pm

We can't make it a voluntary rule I don't think since the AI will lay troops down. It would have to be yes/no by nation.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Good point Digby, them AI are cheaters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm

For the 122 update: Just a quick typo from the Waterloo OOB. Kevin loves mis-spelling this guy:

Allied234 WL15_AL_235 Maj General Si Dennis Pack 9th (British) Brigade

(It's Sir Dennis Pack)

Also can you include the new and very cool Brunswick flags by Reb Bugler please?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Pack has been modified. The flags are part of the stock game and have been incorporated into the KS OOBs.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Excellent.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content