Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg

4 posters

Go down

Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg Empty Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg

Post  hammurabi70 Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Some years ago Martin flagged a new development: the games of Simmons Games.

At that time he was producing a game on Marengo.
http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Marengo/index.html

Since then he has also done Austerlitz.
http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Austerlitz/index.html

Now he is doing Gettysburg.
http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Gettysburg/index.html

So can anyone comment on how well it does for Kriegsspiel?
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg Empty Re: Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg

Post  MJ1 Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for posting the links. I had not heard or seen these and they look good. I will explore the idea of buying one to play with....

And report back if I do obtain one...

Cheers

MJ

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg Empty Re: Simmons: Marengo, Austerlitz, Gettysburg

Post  Martin Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm

I haven't played any in the series, but my understanding is that they play much like a traditional board wargame. There are some inovative features in terms of the map layout & combat, but you get to see what's there, unlike in a k/spiel game. The wooden blocks do allow for some fog-of-war.

Nothing to stop us using one of them as a base for an umpired game though.

I am told they have sold well, so perhaps someone out there will have played one, and can give a more informed view.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Martin wrote:I am told they have sold well, so perhaps someone out there will have played one, and can give a more informed view.

I own and have played Marengo. The mechanics are very different from a typical wargame (and from Kriegsspiel, though there is some fog of war in not knowing enemy strength and having some dummy units to conceal complete knowledge of positions); the system works well to both create some brain-breaking dilemmas and to create a focus on maneuvering the enemy out of positions instead of bulling straight through.

I'm not sure it would convert into a Kriegsspiel well, though.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks James. Can you explain why do don't think we could easily kriegsspiel with it?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:28 am

Martin wrote:Thanks James. Can you explain why do don't think we could easily kriegsspiel with it?

Yes: the echelon of decision is the same as the echelon of interaction, and the game rewards extreme precision in play.

Your line: "Huh?" .. and thump me with a stick. Smile

Longer explanation:

Terminology first, then the separation thing, then precision:

Terms:

In an exercise, the echelon of decision is the echelon at which you want the players/students making decisions. You are the detachment commander, corps commander, etc.

The echelon of interaction is the echelon at which decisions get entered into the simulation engine -- what the the individual units that have to be controlled?

Separation:

Kriegsspiel works best when these are at least one level different, and ideally two. The players command at division, the umpires translate these into brigade plans which they execute by moving the battalion icons. The umpires take the brigade situations and report back to the player who makes new assessments and decisions, and so on.

(We use these terms and concept a lot at work to explain why an simulation for a given exercise does or doesn't need extra manpower to keep things running. If the echelon of decision matches the echelon of interaction, then the students can put their plan directly into the sim and there's no extra operators necessary....)

Precision:

Kriegsspiel functions in part through having imprecise control of a player's forces. Simmons' games present a situation in which extreme precision -- exactly this unit moves right here, then that oner moves there, then a third just so -- is needed in order to function effectively.

Keep in mind that I'm not knocking either one. I love Kriegsspiel and I think Simmons' core design is excellent. But I don't think they would mix.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 am

Ah I see. Many thanks for such a comprehensive (& precise) answer. Smile

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down