Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

2011 Events

+3
Yendor1958
Martin
hammurabi70
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 Events

Post  Martin Fri May 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Just a reminder that our last game before September is on Sunday 29th May.

This is an ACW game based on Jackson’s 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign, and most players will command brigade-sized forces.

The game will be held at our usual venue at a village hall in Little Gaddesden village, near Hemel Hempstead. The hall is modern, dry & warm, with plenty of space and a large well-equipped kitchen. Start time will be 11 am and finish mid-late afternoon. Cost for the day is £5 a head (to cover the hire of the hall), but may be less if there's a good turn-out. We provide tea, coffee, milk & sugar. First-timers are always welcome, and get their initial game for free.

A few spaces are still available, so if you wish to attend, please contact me direct. Ditto if you have not been before, and would like to find out more about how the day will be run before deciding.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty Autumn 2011 games

Post  Martin Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 am

Thinking about the schedule at the moment. We are probably looking at one game in each of September, October and November.

I already have a 'volunteer' to run the October game, but if you would like to run either September or November please post here, or contact me direct.

Also are there any dates we shoud avoid because of conventions etc?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty Forthcoming UK games

Post  Martin Sat May 21, 2011 10:57 am

A final reminder for our next game on Sunday 29th May. This one’s on Stonewall Jackson’s 1862 campaign in the Shenandoah Valley. Let me know if you are thinking of coming but have not yet contacted me.

We also have provisionally dates for two autumn games. Sunday 11th September and Sunday 23rd October.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty UK games & Historicon 2011

Post  Martin Mon May 30, 2011 10:47 am

An excellent ACW game yesterday, and many thanks to Mark Jarvis for running it. I had better not say too much about it as Mark is taking it to Historicon in the USA (seem more below), but it could have gone either way, and in the final result was all down to the last engagement.

As I mentioned, Mark is planning to run this game at the Historicon convention in July at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. If any American kriegsspielers (or other overseas visitors) are planning to attend, and would like to participate, I'm sure he would love to hear from you.

Our first autumn game will hopefully be in September. Unfortunately we have been unable to book our normal venue for the previously advertised 11th September date, and the only available date that month is on Sunday 4th September.

I have made a provisional booking for the 4th, but we normally avoid summer dates as most folks want to be outdoors in the good weather, and familly commitments are more of a factor. We therefore need to establish early on whether there is sufficient interest in a date so early in the month. If not, we will make the first game in October, followed by others in November and perhaps early December.

So can folks please express their views on this asap, either here or direct by email?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Mon May 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Martin wrote:An excellent ACW game yesterday, and many thanks to Mark Jarvis for running it. I had better not say too much about it as Mark is taking it to Historicon in the USA (seem more below), but it could have gone either way, and in the final result was all down to the last engagement.

As I mentioned, Mark is planning to run this game at the Historicon convention in July at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. If any American kriegsspielers (or other overseas visitors) are planning to attend, and would like to participate, I'm sure he would love to hear from you.

Our first autumn game will hopefully be in September. Unfortunately we have been unable to book our normal venue for the previously advertised 11th September date, and the only available date that month is on Sunday 4th September.

I have made a provisional booking for the 4th, but we normally avoid summer dates as most folks want to be outdoors in the good weather, and familly commitments are more of a factor. We therefore need to establish early on whether there is sufficient interest in a date so early in the month. If not, we will make the first game in October, followed by others in November and perhaps early December.

So can folks please express their views on this asap, either here or direct by email?

Martin

[1] To be fair to all, people might want to look at this:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=232164
Shocked

[2] Cannot express a view on September at this point in time; might be able to help pad out an existing game as a late-signer-up in August
Rolling Eyes
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon May 30, 2011 3:48 pm

[1] To be fair to all, people might want to look at this:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=232164

Yes, that was indeed our game Smile

[2] Cannot express a view on September at this point in time; might be able to help pad out an existing game as a late-signer-up in August.

I see the problem. OTOH we cannot ask them to holds the hall for us unless we know we can use it, so if we cannot get enough to commit now, we will have to skip the September game. Let's see what other responses we get....

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Martin wrote:
I see the problem. OTOH we cannot ask them to holds the hall for us unless we know we can use it, so if we cannot get enough to commit now, we will have to skip the September game. Let's see what other responses we get....
Martin

Any progress yet?
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Still assessing support for a game so early in September. I'm going to put out a bit more info on the game in a forum newsletter, and I'll post on the TFL forum too. Briefly though, game is set in the Pacific island-hopping campaign during WW2.

We'll take a final decision on timing in a week or so. If 4th September is no-go, we'll run it in October or November.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I will endeavour to keep that date free...

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Cheers Mark. At the moment we have 5 definites and a number of possibles. I'll give the latter a few days to confirm or otherwise, bfore we decide whether the Sepytember date is doable.

Steve Hockin is running the game. Can you please advise how many we need Steve?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty Something in the air...

Post  Streetgang6 Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm

There must be something in the air - back in May we in Kansas had put on a ACW Shenandoah KS games about the same time the group in the UK had run an ACW game set in the Shenandoah. Now I see your post about a WWII South Pacific game you're putting together just as we're putting the finishing touches on a WWII Solomon Islands event that one of us is running at Origins game convention this weekend. Funny coincidence....

Mike

Streetgang6

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Yes, it's spooky..........

Just had another confirmation for 4th September so we're up to 6 definites.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Martin wrote:Yes, it's spooky..........

Just had another confirmation for 4th September so we're up to 6 definites.

Martin

WW2 Pacific! Exclamation In the diary and I hope to come. bounce
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Assuming you are a definite, Hammurabi, that takes us to 7 definite, 1 probable, plus some possibles still to confirm. So this is looking fairly likely to happen.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty WW2 Pacific game 4th September

Post  gunboat diplomat Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 am

Folks

The game needs eight as minimum with eleven as an ideal.

Ill do some canvassing to see if I can boost the numbers.

Cheers

Steve

gunboat diplomat

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 pm

An update

Just a reminder that our next game is on Sunday 4th September at our usual venue at the village hall in Little Gaddesden village, a few miles N of Hemel Hempstead.

The game is set inthe Pacific in late World War 2. The US Island hopping campaign is moving inexorably closer to the Japanese mainland. As it does so the fighting becomes ever more ferocious.

Players will take the roles of Corps and Divisional commanders with critical decisions to make. When will operational casualties outweigh the need for strategic success?

Full briefings will take place just before the day for senior commanders and on the day for others.

Looks like we will have a good turn-out, but could still fit more in if you are interested and haven't yet contacted me.

Martin

sunny flower
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 am

A final reminder that we have a game next Sunday - ie the 4th September, starting at 11 am.

Game is at our usual venue in the village hall at Little Gaddesden, a few miles N of Hemel Hempstead.

Subject is WW2 in the Pacific Islands campaign, and most players will command divisions. If you would like to come, and haven't yet contacted me, we can probably still fit you in Smile

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty 4th September game - start time brought forward

Post  Martin Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 am

We are now aiming for a 10 am start. Please note that this is a change from the previosly advertised time!

See background below from Steve Hockin, who is running the game.

Martin

There will be daily turns and I hope to get through a couple of weeks so time will be of the essence!

Briefing and initial deployments will take place on the day.

Im in the process of allocating roles. Ideal time is arrival 1000 for brief and initial planning with battle starting at 1100. I appreciate the travelling issues for some so if arrival may be nearer 1100 than 1000 please let me (Steve) know and I can allocate a role with a formation which could arrive slightly later.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Im in the process of allocating roles. Ideal time is arrival 1000 for brief and initial planning with battle starting at 1100. I appreciate the travelling issues for some so if arrival may be nearer 1100 than 1000 please let me (Steve) know and I can allocate a role with a formation which could arrive slightly later.

It is possible that I may be late - it takes me two hours to get there!

Richard

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks to Steve hockin for yesterday's game.

This was based on the US invasion of Japanese-held island of Saipan in June 1944. As a junior member of the US team (4th Marine Division), I very much enjoyed the game.

We had some difficult decisions to make on where to make our assault-landings, which was different & fun.

The intial landings had mixed results, including a pretty disastrous attempt to establish a bridgeheade on the E coast. We then experienced heavy fighting for several days, but eventually the Americans were able to cut the island in two. From then on, superior resources ground down the defenders and allowed the US forces to sieze both key airfields withun the 2-week time limit required.

At the debrief there was some discussion as to how best handle the Japanese side. Historically they were outnumbered and heavilly outgunned. The Japanese command positions were played in our game, but it may be best in this type of game to make them umpire-controlled.

The game was played with the historical forces on both sides, but another possibility would be to beef up the defence with more troops & artillery support. This might allow a more aggressive defence.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm

... games in October (23rd) and November 2011 (date tba)
Somewhere out here there are more details to be found.
sunny
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Details of the October game already posted here http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t196-october-2011-game#1077 More to come on that one soon.

Still trying to confirm a date for November. May be Sunday 20th. Once we have date we'll announce topic and seek inidications of attendance.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:05 pm

We are running 2 games this autumn:

Sunday 23 October – a map campaign set the Russo-Turkish War in the Caucasus theatre of eastern Turkey in 1877. For more details on this one see http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t196-october-2011-game#1094

Sunday 20 November – subject to be advised

Both games will be held at our usual venue at the village hall in Little Gaddesden, a few miles N of Hemel Hempstead. We will aim to start at 11 am and finish shortly by about 4.30 pm.

We are looking to get an idea of numbers for the October game, so if you are thinking of coming please let me know. Newcomers are always welcome, so if you would like an idea of what to expect, please drop me a line too.

Martin James

Martin

Back to top Go down

2011 Events - Page 2 Empty October & November UK games

Post  Martin Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 pm

As previously advised, our next game is on Sunday 23 October. This is set in the Caucasus theatre in eastern Anatolia during the 1877 war between Russia & Turkey. There is more information on this one at http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t196-october-2011-game#1094

I have just been advised that the Sunday 20 November game will be a detachments (division/brigade) level game set against the background of the 1848 revolutions. A deposed leader, a transitional government needing to exert authority, the threat of foreign intervention. Comparisons with any other events, real or fictitious are entirely unintended!

Both games are due to start at 11 am, and will be held at the Little Gaddesden village hall, a few miles N of Hemel Hempstead.

We are hoping to get an idea of numbers for both, so if you are thinking of coming to either, please drop me a line. As ever, new players are very welcome.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm

I hope to be at the October Game if all goes to plan... Slight issue of a meal the night before so not quite certain how that will upset the plan but meal is in the Stratford Upon Avon so close to home... Happy to help umpire or play.

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next