Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+15
NY Cavalry
Miko77
Ostwindflak
Mr. Digby
lordjoe1234
Uncle Billy
Theodor Schmidt
Grog
alexman142
Charmead
Challenge
scauispo
Jeanathan
WSH Baylor
CaptainAndrew
19 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 12 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 pm

OK I will move the Russian's up some ok a lot! I forgot about that and thanks for pointing that out for me. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Will that do it Martin?
Impromptu Games - Page 12 Russia11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Is this game being played today?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Yes, at the usual time, 20:00 BST, 15:00 EST.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 am

Given that the PvP game we played was almost totally sandbox with teams given only vague objectives and a free rein how to achieve them (and even whether to gain them by defending or attacking) I am surprised how well that went. Although things were not well explained (deliberately I might add) I thought the two opposing commanders both came up with sound plans to achieve their aims. Both sides almost had the whole map to do as they liked (the Prussians more so). It was all down to position in the end and who chose to blink first and take on the responsibility of attacking. Unfortunately the French cavalry division commander with a lot of experience using the mod ended up facing a player who hasn't played with the mod very much recently and that showed, the inexperienced players division unravelling in minutes to leave a huge hole in their line.

Although it could not have been much fun for the infantry commander I was led to think of how things may have occurred on actual Napoleonic battlefields, especially in Napoleon's first ten years leading his armies: very experienced French commanders facing green Austrian, Prussian and Russian commanders and in a situation that would have been a stalemate with 2 equally skilled officers in this case it was over in minutes; all down to the ability of the commander.

I wish we could achieve this in more games as it would do away with the unhappy practice of "stats massaging" to get an army to behave how we think it should. Just goes to show that in most cases soldiers were soldiers of generally equal ability/bravery/commitment and the difference was in the commanders and junior officers.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:51 pm

The French curs will pay. Mad

The battle did reflect how quickly one can turn. It reminded me of Austerlitz. A crucial difference between yesterday and a real battle was the lack of reserves. Given the small number of players that we have for such games, it's normally impossible to keep a division in reserve. I wonder if we could add an AI controlled division to these games. It could be crudely ordered forward via the courier system, but would essentially fight autonomously when it becomes engaged. It would also mean that human players wouldn't have to sit around watching the action while awaiting their turn to participate.

I may set one of these up for a future scenario.

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:23 pm

That would be cool Kevin. The CinC or another Commander would have some real reserves.

Your game worked well Digby, and you did baffle us all with you on the fly briefing.

BUT

What you both failed to point out is that my superior military tactical theory of deal with it as it comes works.

You failed to point out that my army was intact and I had a positive score (I could care less about them I am objective driven) but it is an oddity.

You failed to point out that I am a legend in my own mind but still the best player of this game in Costa Rica.

I am disappointed.  affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:24 pm

LOL.

Yes, more reserves and bigger battles generally would be great as long as we don't explode our PCs. IIRC we had a game with over 50,000 troops in a battle using the Russians on the Alpine map many months ago. I don't think we've breached that number in a while.

Kevin, is there a way to get the AI division commander flag to be displayed at the same height as a player flag, so the other team cannot know which is the enemy AI division?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Kevin, is there a way to get the AI division commander flag to be displayed at the same height as a player flag, so the other team cannot know which is the enemy AI division?
Unfortunately not. I looked for a way to reduce the height of the player flags but was not able to find a solution. That is set in the part of the game code we can't access.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Anything today?

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:18 pm

I'm available for a game today at the usual time, 20:00 BST, 15:00 EST.
We can play Mike's 10 mile map scenario if we have fewer than 6 players. The problem was a missing grayscale entry in the map csv file. I'll make up a PvP scenario if we have 6 or more.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I forgot to grab the fixed map, can you post a link to it again today please?

Maybe we could keep a library of such links for these fixes, perhaps in the main KS Mod opening post?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:00 pm

For small things like this, I usually just add it to the existing mod that is posted and pass it out at game time for people who are playing. Since I usually delete these small files from dropbox after a few days, I don't like to post links that will soon be dead.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Today's PvAI
After a long March into Northern France from Belgium yesterday afternoon and as a deep dark night approached you halted and bivouacked in place.  Finally you were briefed about tomorrow's morning's festivities.  You have been ordered to take the 2 Chateau's that lie SW of your pleasant location.  Superior British Intel has related that there is a much larger force then yours holding them for the Emperor. You are to attack at dawn and surprise them. Regardless of your poor situation or amount of casualties, you are to take these Chateau's and liberate any wealth from them and hold them until reinforcements arrive.

Impromptu Games - Page 12 Brit_s10

2 ArmeeKorps: Generallieutenant von Pirch I (22019 Inf.  3476 Cav.  56 Guns))

4th (Anglo-Hanoverian) Division: Major General Sir Charles Colville (6774 Inf.  16 Guns)
    2nd KGL Brigade: Colonel Von Ompteda (1835 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 5.0)
    2. Neumark Landwehr-Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 2. Neumark Landwehr (2364 Inf. 3 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.0)
    30. Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 30. Inf Regiment (2575 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.0)
    4. Haubitzen Batterie: Leutnant Schlemmer (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)
    2. Schwere Batterie: Hauptmann Siemon (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

10. Brigade: Generalmajor von Krafft (7574 Inf.  16 Guns)
    6. Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 6. Inf Regiment (2601 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.9)
    7. Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 7. Inf Regiment (2498 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.9)
    29. Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 29. Inf Regiment (2475 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.1)
    Dutch Foot Battery: Capt. Wynand's Battery (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 6.0)
    7. Schwere Batterie: Hauptmann Baldauf (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

11. Brigade: Oberstlieutenant Luck und Witten (7671 Inf.  16 Guns)
    2. Pommeranian Landwehr-Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 2. Pommeranian Landwehr (2415 Inf. 3 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.0)
    8. Lieb Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 8. Lieb Inf Regiment (2758 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 5.Cool
    14. Infanterie-Reg: Oberst 14. Inf Regiment (2498 Inf. 4 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.0)
    12. Schwere Batterie: Hauptmann Stammer (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 4.0)
    3. Haubitzen Batterie: Hauptmann Kurgass (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

Heavy Cavalry Division: Lt General Earl of Uxbridge (  3476 Cav.  8 Guns)
    1. Kavallerie Brigade/1 ArmeeKorps: Generalmajor von Treckow (1040 Cav. 2 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 5.4)
    2. Kavallerie Brigade/3 ArmeeKorps: Oberst von Wylich und Lottum (913 Cav. 2 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 5.0)
    1. Neumark Landwehr Kavallerie: Oberstlieutenant 1. Neumark Landwehr Cav (363 Cav. 1 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 3.0)
    3. Kavallerie Brigade/2 ArmeeKorps: Oberstlieutenant  von der Schulenburg (1160 Cav. 3 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 3.0)
    11. Schwere Batterie: Hauptmann Liebermann (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm

you are to take these Chateau's and liberate any wealth from them
Finally, a battle worth fighting. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:34 pm

The Polish Crimson color was used for the French since you appointed yourself as the CinC for today's excursion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Might want to swap that 12pdr battery with the cavalry for a horse battery.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Admittedly I am not sure how to figure out horse or non horse battery, (slowly getting there) if you point it out I will do that.  I would assume that I would switch it around in the csv, right?

THX

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 pm

"Schwere" is heavy in German so that nakes it a 12pdr battery. Looking at the rest if your corps it packs a real punch as most of the batteries are 12pdrs and howitzers ("haubitze"). This is a 'stand back and smack them with the guns' kind of army as it has a long reach Wink

Open the main Waterloo OOB that you got the battle OOB from and find the Prussian army which I think is the last on the list and scroll down the csv file looking at the unit class (column K) until you come across unit type:

PRU_CAVART_GunLimbered_1

Which is a Prussian horse gun. As their foot and horse batteries both have 8 guns its easy to copy all 9 ROWS of that horse battery + its commander and paste them over the 9 rows of the Schwere battery that's in the cavalry division. No need to amend the scenario, the game will just place it in the same location.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 pm

OK let me try that out then,  thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm

You gave Andrew a heavy foot battery to drag around. Good. He needs something to do in these battles. Smile

Since this a battle for enrichment, I gladly accept command.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:33 pm

If there is a horse battery I would change it in hopes that the Prima Donna of the field might work a bit harder to ensure your victory today,he may even show up for the briefing too.

I can already hear Andrews subtle complaints about the scenario makers absolute ineptness.  Although the thought of listening to his complaints does bring a small about of joy to my heart.

Maybe you can walk me through how to do that, as I looked through the files I decided that this was better left to the pro's.    affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:59 pm

In this particular scenario, the allies have no horse battery, so there is nothing to cut and paste. In this case you have two choices. Endure the whining of the cavalry, (there is some joy in that), or remake the scenario, (lot of work just to keep the prima donnas happy).
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Confused says "not broke, no fix; prima donna whine big bonus!"   Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm

1) How did it go yesterday?

2) Are we playing today? Can we test the 10mi map again perhaps?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next