Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria

+3
Charmead
DumpTruck
Miko77
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 Empty Re: Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm

So long as I am placed opposite Pat, I'm happy.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 Empty Re: Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria

Post  Miko77 Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 am

Updated Central Map

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 Centra11
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:25 pm

If both sides can give me the Deployment orders so I can get the scenario Ready for Friday? (I know French battle plan is ready so it's just a matter of divisions placement)...

Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am

Scenario is now ready for today if we have 6 players.

Some reminders about the rules from the previous campaign that are still standing

1. In order for red dot to be controlled it must be taken by at least 3 infantry battalions (that's to prevent gamey behaviour of sending one battalion around the map to get control of the red dots)

2. the lines of communication - only roads that are depicted on the map are used for supply purpose - example for that would be T-junction south of Smygel - if Austrian hold it but both Smygel and Wloszakowice are under French control then it doesn't count for red dots controlled for Austrian and additionally counts as cut off from supplies.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Any specific rules wrt control of wooded areas?
Does Phil get special bonuses? Must a treehouse be constructed (e.g. the tree icon that only appears on Phils toolbar)

I will be there today - hope we get 6 at least :-)
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:34 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 BST.

The object of the 1st battle is to control the majority of the woods shown on the map. It goes without saying that Phil's Austrians will achieve an overwhelming victory. You snail eaters might as well hand over your swords now and save the embarrassment.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm

First of all, I was so disappointed by French defeat that I forgot to tell you that since we've got withdraw situation then the battle is over and you may watch the replay.

1st Battle Outcome (this is public for both sides):

Austria

Winning the map 1
high casualties 0
prestige from casualties difference 1

Total Prestige gain/loss 2

France

Withdraw over night 0
high casualties 0
prestige from casualties difference -1

Total Prestige gain/loss -1

detailed casualties report will be sent by e-mail, along with the updated OOBs and updated stats

Before the update, Austrian side has to choose what to do with the conquered territory - the options are:

1) peaceful annexation - this will result in increased income by 200 men and 2g per turn, also the conqueror will gain 1 prestige
2) economical exploitation - this will result in increased income by 8g per turn
3) loot - this will cost -2 prestige penalty and result in immediate 50 gold bonus, also no further income possible from that map for the side that looted, and 1000 men will join enemy manpower (that's to emulate population fleeing, joining opposite side) - if the other side re-conquers the map it will be presented with the 3 options again but with all numbers halved... if it decides to loot then no population bonus for the opposite side happens and province cease to provide any income or looting options to any side...

points 1 and 2 will have effect as long as the map is in the side's possession - if the map is contested (both sides had at least 2 red dots by the end of the 3rd day of the battle) then the income from it will be halved.

Miko77
Miko77

risorgimento59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 pm

After the reinforcement phase, both sides will need to declare to me if they attack to the next map or defend
If both sides declare to attack then I'll roll my D12 to decide which side gets initiative - I think I might add some modifiers like +1 for the side that has won the last battle...

If both sides decide to defend then we are skipping to the next reinforcement phase

In most likely scenario that French defend and Austria attack, we'll play on the map below.

French Border Map:

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 French10

the current map holder will be able to deploy a division at each red dot - if it's the "forward red dot" then division will be placed "behind" it
all deployment will be like in the first battle - so no battle formation, just infantry in march columns (some cav probably, too)

This way attacking side will be able to spread out for the battle and the defender will be able to defend the forward red dots but probably not able to squeeze the attacker against the map border
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:14 pm

Looking at replay of first battle it was pretty much the same as we saw of the field -- the Austrians got the high high ground before we did. On our southern (right) flank, my job was to stay in reserve at the 2 back objectives.

I saw the enemy forward to my east 2 or so miles at Wlosacewicz (turned out to be Grog) and kept an eye on him. Ehey gave me some leeway to probe and find the flank of the Austrians facing him, because that flank (to Ehey) appeared to be open. But Grog covered that flank well. I could have inflicted more casualties on Grog had I probed in concert with a mix of infantry, cavalry and artillery but my approach was not very smooth. Had I even done so effectively, he was in too strong a position for me to make much headway, let alone any dream of a flanking move.

While I was probing on my right, my AI brigadier anchoring my left, despite being given "hold" orders, decided that 800 yards was too great a distance to measure the bore diameters of Kevin's cannon. Apparently armed not only with muskets but also calipers, balances and other diagnostic equipment, they ventured closer and got shot up. One actually broke and ran _toward_ the guns. I could see them in the distance, saw the flag moving quickly in my telescope/zoom and at first thought they were charging. Next time the order will be "hold at all costs" so I can have some reasonable assurance they will stay put so I can focus my attention elsewhere.

I wish there were 15 more minutes in the scenario. Towards the end, Grog sent an infantry brigade forward to probe my forward units in the woods. I had a nice position and was starting to inflict casualties on him, even catching a battalion of his out in the open with a squadron of my cavalry.

In the end, Ehey made the right call to withdraw. We will allow them to enjoy their victory for a bit

Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:09 pm

GG Gents
A very difficult scenario for the French to win, IMO.
To me, there was no doubt that the Austrians would reach the hill first and in force, so it surprised me that an attack was attempted there.
Pat also had a job against me on the hill and he almost fought me out. I lost a few inf in my counter attack and, as Pat said, nearly lost my Grenzer skirmishers to a well timed cab charge but I was saved by the bell with time out. My Hussars were coming up to Counter, though, and might have saved them from annihilation??
Does anyone have the early game Replay? I was convinced I saw enemy to the south.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Early in the game You saw my scouts to the south. We did not expect you taking that road but I had to cover it just the same. Later it was me and a squadron of cav probing for a good avenue of approach to put you off balance. The rest of my division was WNW of your troops.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:45 pm

Yes. Early on, I saw you come right up to 'my hill', on your lonesome, and we stood 20yds apart. Unfortunately, in the rush to get to grips with the retched French Revolutionaries, I had left my Tyrolean hunting pistols back with my servant in Vienna.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:42 am

Rather than bickering amongst themselves and searching for a scapegoat there was humbly admitted mistakes across all levels of command on the French side. Upon the strategic level was a misjudgment of the distance the Austrian army would be capable of marching and whether or not it was capable of being contested. Though the war table was in agreement upon the laying of the plans that the central high grounds would be the deciding factor so I saw no reason to set up in the south in a position that we don't expect to hold so might as well see if we can contest the hill. Upon realizing the Austrians had gone further up the hill than was contestable we assumed an opportunistic, but ultimately defensive posture. However a small set back occurred in a probing attack on a flank, but otherwise the French force was unharmed. After the battle, given the positions there was agreement that we saw no advantage to taking the hill, and given the casualties and the lay of the land, there was no point in remaining in the field.

I had a brief window early on as I approached the hill by Smygel, where I had aggressively marched forward with a brigade of cavalry and an infantry brigade in close order following behind it. If it were an AI opponent I would have immediately carried out the assault but I thought twice of it and backed off after a short skirmish with my cavalry, surrendering one of their guns. On the one hand it seems like a safer move to not recklessly attack a force of unknown size, but on the other had I done it the guns wouldn't have quite been able to set up on the crest, possibly been pushed behind the crest. Miko's division was right behind me and he might have been able to also launch an attack. It would have been reckless but after that moment I see no other course of action that could have removed the Germans from the hill.

We will fight them on more favorable ground and as someone some half a century later will say in America "We'll lick 'em tomorrow." Except it's not tomorrow. It's more next week or at some near by but undesignated point in the future.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:44 pm

What happens now is we're doing reinforcement phase and waiting for CinCs decision on next action.

so decision is either to attack or defend, depending on the combinations - this is what can happen:

a) both side choose to attack (I'll roll my D12 - if it's 1-4 we'll play it as French attack on the central map, if it's 5-12 we play as Austrian attack on French border map)
b) French defend, Austrian attack - obvious
c) French attack, Austrian defend - obvious
d) Both defend - we skip battle and go straight to the next income/reinforcement phase

possible outcomes if we play on the French border map:
1) winning the map / successful defence 1 prestige point
2) French losing their border map -1 prestige point
3) withdraw over night - no penalty for either side
4) withdraw during the battle day -1 prestige for any side
5) If French lose this map they will lose equivalent of "peaceful annexation" for their income, so 200 men and 2g less per turn
6) Austrian side if victorious won't have option for annexation, just exploitation or loot
7) if neither side wins the map, the French will lose half of the "peaceful annexation" equivalent - so 100men and 1 gold less...
also, the next battle will be played on this map again and both sides will be able to deploy on the red dots their control or at the entry zones (the grey zones will be excluded from deployment)

updated French Border Map
the grey zones is where French can deploy their forward divisions - so they can deploy either on them or at the western red dots...

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 French11

Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Updated Central map with the zones where defender would be able to deploy along with the eastern or western red dots (depending on who's defending)
Only one zone between 2 and 3 can be selected (not sure if this is accurate English, basically  2 XOR 3 Smile)

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 Centra12
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm

finally, Maréchal Ehey has reorganised his Army and he's ready to give the Archduke better fight this time.
Just waiting for Ehey's final decision and can create the scenario - possibly ready for Tuesday.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:42 am

The Scenario - IS READY!

Pat, you need to up your game... otherwise it's gonna be Basketball (and you know who's the ball and who's the smiley face there)
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:49 pm

I am scheduled to give a rousing speech to my gallant soldiers in the next hour or so. That should be all they need.

Its only the Austrians. Not like its a real army bearing down on us. If it were the Russians maybe Id be a little concerned. But for now there are other things that need doing. I need to take my horse to the groomers. Plus my command staff is hosting a chess tournament after our luncheon.

And besides, we have Ehey. I mean who have THEY got? Kevin? Oh please. He is way too focused on how to steal from baggage trains. Plus his staff cannot cook very well. Have you ever eaten at his headquarters? Atrocious. And the poor manners! They don’t even use forks and spoons.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 pm

I can play today. Once I finish with Pat, I'll have a look at his baggage train and report any interesting finds.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:33 pm

The prosecution rests, your honor
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:06 pm

I can play Very Happy
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:32 pm

I can play Very Happy

Perfect - I hope you'll be on your 6th pint by the time the game starts cheers
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am

What a slaughter...

There's a good chance I'll have the 2nd day ready for Friday.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am

There were a lot of bodies within a 500 yard radius of that stone wall.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:03 am

Scenario is ready
Casualties reports and updated OOB have been sent to the teams

we restart deployed as per map below:

Miko's mini campaign 2.0 - France vs Austria - Page 2 Battle13
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next