Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Mini-campaign of linked battles

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mini-campaign of linked battles Empty Mini-campaign of linked battles

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Today I was thinking about our Peninsular and 1813 campaigns which seem to attract players but the battles in them are quite infrequent; usually only about 2 a month.

The rest of the time we fight one-off games, most often created using Kevin's SG. This is fine and we get some awesome fights but the niggling thought is still there that these one-off, quickly generated games might still give us battles of consequence and in context if we could link them in a simple manner.

These are the points I considered.

* Rarely do we get six players present, most of our games are co-op vs the AI. Campaign must cater for this.

* No 10 minutes wasted choosing a C-in-C, he will be pre-selected and must command.

* It would be good to have a spread of different nationalities so battles are different with wider appeal.

* Need to use Kevin's SG for speed and simplicity. I am sure it now has a carry-over feature to calculate losses and returns after battles.

* A very simple map that amounts to just a string of battlefields (SoW maps) linked together that an attacking army must fight through to attain its objective.

* Some form of competitive set-up between players.

* More of a fun "beer and pretzels" atmosphere vs the super-strategic and critical thinking that dominates our main campaigns. If you lose its not a disaster.

* Quick, easy to set up and adjudicate, as close to zero-admin as we can get, does not need an umpire at all.

Here's my current thinking.

The campaign will be very loosely based on 1814 with the French all being AI and defending the Rhine and France from a series of enemy invaders all of whom are advancing on Paris in the form much like a series of spokes on a wheel leading to the hub. Each 'spoke' is a line of linked battlefields each being defended by a French AI army with a different Allied attacker that will be played by human players in co-op teams.

1814 gives us attacking armies of Prussia, Russia, Austria, Bavaria. We can go more fantasy-ish and make up other armies; Dutch-Belgians, a combined Hanover/Brunswick/Nassau army and a combined German army of states like Saxony/Wurttemberg/Hesse/Baden, etc could all be fielded. It depends how far away from history and towards fantasy people would be willing to go.

Each distinct army/nation is commanded by one player. We could maybe have more than one army of certain nations if they were popular (e.g. two Russian and two Austrian armies). Say we get 8 armies so there is scope for 8 army commanders. These commanders have only a couple of simple decisions to make - which divisions to field in each battle out of a pool of several and also each commander will be the C-in-C of his army when it fights, all other players who turn up regardless of their army affiliation, will be his subordinates.

If the player controlled army wins a battle, it advances one battlefield step nearer the hub (Paris). If it loses it stays in place.

Each "road to Paris" would be about 6 battlefields long. Paris itself will be the Grande Ville Waterloo map and the attacker must secure all 4 fortified farms in the town to claim outright victory and force Napoleon to abdicate.

Because we are fighting the AI we need to give it some help so 1) it will always be defending and we can select some tough objectives the attackers must take and hold and b) we can make the AI defenders stronger than the co-op attackers.

Each attacking army will have 5 divisions. From these the C-in-C can choose up to 3 to deploy in each battle. He can choose less, but three is the maximum.

The French defenders will have 6 divisions. The AI will be randomly given 4 to use to defend each battlefield.

All divisions will be mixed so that there is no possibility of the AI leaving all its cavalry in reserve.

Some balancing of nationalities is necessary - attacking armies should be as close as we can manage to having the same strengths and artillery numbers.

If we go a fantasy route we'd have the following attackers (clockwise from west to south)

1. Dutch-Belgium
2. Hanover/Brunswick/Nassau
3. Prussia
4. Sweden
5. Lesser German States
6. Russia I
7. Russia II
8. Austria I
9. Austria II
10. Bavaria
11. Portugal/Spain

I think we should exclude the British because they are so hardcore but if someone wants a Portuguese/Spanish army we can include one.

Comments/support/derision all welcome.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Mini-campaign of linked battles Empty Re: Mini-campaign of linked battles

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Anything that means I don't have to create the scenarios will be fun.  The mechanics are so simple that anyone could do the scenario if they know which map to use.
Somehow we will need to limit the AI casualties as it will fight to the last man.  The GM will need to call the game and stop it when it becomes apparent the AI has lost.

The SG doesn't put battle casualties back into the master OOB.  That's beyond its scope.  However, I have a standalone program which does that.  It allows you to set the level of French victory/defeat and will return certain proportions of wounded and missing based on the level of victory/defeat.  The proportions are set in a csv file, so the user can set the levels to whatever he feels is appropriate.  It has not been thoroughly tested, but I think it works correctly.  All that's required is a master OOB.  Here is the link: Casualty Modifier 1.03

Last edited by Uncle Billy on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:21 pm

That sounds really good. Having to fight a stronger enemy force everytime would make the fights more fun than what we usually get where the AI tends to leave large, important forces in reserve for the most important parts of the battle.
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Challenge Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Martin,

I like the idea a lot. One of the things that actually put me off buying SOWWL until I discovered this group was that there is no context to each battle and the campaign element in SP is sadly lacking. Your ideas sound fine to me but I would also be in favour of an even shorter route to Paris (Less Maps) to try it out and see how it works practically.

Unfortunately because I frequently travel for my work I am not always able to commit so many nights to gameplay. This is another reason I am in favour of your idea. I am a newbie  here but it seems that we are often not able to get started on the actual scenario until 20:30 BST earliest which is 21:30 my time. Last night was epic, admittedly but we finished around 01:15 my time. Work was not pleasant today! If the organisation of command and the map being used is clear in advance then the CinC for that night could have a plan formulated in advance, saving time. Not complaining just giving another reason why I like the idea.

Count me in as a Prussian even though that dooms my chances of reaching Paris first before we even begin!

Iain
Challenge
Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Sounds great Martin,

I would like to be the Russian's if that is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:30 pm

The idea it seems carries some merit!

Kevin, I didn't know you'd built a stand alone carryover tool. I will take a look at it.

Yes, we could do a very simple test game with just one attacking army vs one French defender over just 2 to 3 maps and see if it works.

Iain, I agree, the various numbers of people who play regularly, semi-regularly and quite infrequently is an issue when you need consistency of command or decision making in a complex campaign. This way players can drop in, take a division or brigade and have a blast without it being either just a one-off "no value" thing or the opposite "oops, I wrecked our whole campaign" type deal.

Over the next couple of days I'll make up two armies out of our standard KS OOBs (I am not going to write out whole OOBs for this, we'll use the canned ones - that is a lot of work) and choose 3 maps to advance over. I'll choose a river map (the Rhine), an open flat map (call it Champagne) and a city map for Paris.

For the main game I will probably go for cookie-cutter armies with 600 man battalions and maybe 400 man cavalry regiments with similar experience ratings. I'll probably give the French one better experience so its a bit tougher. Walking over AI armies like roadkills isn't fun. I'd like these games to be quite tough.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 pm

I've knocked together a Bavarian Corps for our test game, of 4 divisions.

Bavarian 1814 OOB.

The C-in-C (Wrede) can choose any 3 divisions for each battle and there will be 3 battles:

1) Crossing the Rhine (Meckel map - moving west from Waldau must capture Alt Goldberg)
2) Mud of Verdun (France Cold Harbor map - moving west from Saint Ouen must capture Sezanne)
3) Enemy at the Gates (Waterloo Grand Ville map - moving west from near east map edge must capture all 4 fortified farms but the objective point will be in the city centre)

The French AI army will have 5 divisions and can use any 4 in each battle.

Someone to be Herr Wrede should please step forward.

If I can bash out a French OOB and the first scenario after work tomorrow we could play the first game tomorrow night, usual time.

Kevin, how do I make a clear map foggy? I see the map we played on yesterday doesn't have an .ini file in the Supplemental Maps mod so I'm guessing you loaded the foggy version as the host?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:22 am

I can be Wrede.  If I have a choice, I'll use the 1st three divisions in the OOB.  Do we have to force a crossing at Alt Goldberg, or can we use one of the other bridges across the river?

The fogginess is set in mapname.ini.  Almost all of those are in the maps sub-folder of the Nappy mod.  However, everyone will need that file if you mod it to be foggy.  I suggest you call it MapnameFog.ini and it can be added to the maps sub-folder before game time.  Remember to change the map name in scenario.ini to this new name, otherwise we'll end up using the non-foggy version. You'll also want to set the visibility to foggy or very foggy in the SG.

Here are the fog settings:
;Fog
FogEnable=1
FogR=91
FogG=102
FogB=117
FogNear=10
FogFar=20000

Just find the corresponding section in the ini file, (they all have fog settings), and replace the values with the ones above.

Last edited by Uncle Billy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:55 am

Unfortunately I will not be able to join tomorrow, I hope it goes well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 am

Sorry to hear that Mike.

Kevin - many thanks. I cannot find a mapname.ini file for France ColdHarbor which is the one I wanted to make foggy.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:55 pm

It's in the KS Nappy mod Maps sub-folder. It's full name is Nap_France_Cold_Harbor.ini.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks again.

Now as far as getting the AI to correctly defend an objective his forces need to be pretty close to it I understand? Do you know how far? Also do they all have to be close or just some (say 1 or 2 divisions)?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:44 pm

There is no set distance. If you use the defend stance, the AI will send at least one division to the objective and sometimes all of them. I have not found a way to predict the number.

What I often do is place the units where I think they will have a good defensive position and where I think the player is likely to attack from and then use the Line of Sight stance. The AI units will stay in place until attacked.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 pm

What is the 'line of sight' stance please?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I was talking about the type of battle you create with the SG.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Got it.

Thanks again.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Crossing the Rhine, February 1814.

In concert with Austrian and Russian Allied armies advancing further north, the Bavarian corps of General der Kavallerie Graf von Wrede has been tasked with attacking into France on the allied southern or left flank. Your orders are to push vigorously across the river Rhine at the town of Neu Goldberg and secure its sister town of Alt Goldberg on the west bank, driving out all the enemy from this place. From there you should push west towards Silberberg which is on the road to Verdun. Beyond that fortress Paris beckons and an end to the man who has brought so much ruin and misery to Europe.

You may attempt to cross the Rhine at any bridge you can find but your cavalry scouts have noted French defenders at Goldberg and Wildungen, while friendly German citizens remark that French garrisons hold all the crossing points along this stretch. The pro-German Mayor of Silberberg sent you a letter yesterday to advise that the French headquarters in this region is at Sellheimer Dorfchen and that there are some Young Guard troops there.

Order of Battle, Bavarian Corps von Wrede:

Armee der Bayern: General der Kavallerie Graf Wrede (26087 Inf.  3372 Cav.  42 Guns))

1. Infanteriedivision : Generalleutnant Graf Rechberg (7635 Inf.  1115 Cav.  14 Guns)
   1. Brigade: Generalmajor Karl Wilhelm Fürst zu Bayern (3875 Inf. 5 battalions  Avg. Exp. 4.0)
   2. Brigade: Generalmajor von Maillot (3760 Inf. 5 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.8 )
   1. Brigade zu Pferd: Generalmajor von Vièregg (1115 Cav. 2 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 5.0)
   Leichte Batterie Nr.4: Oberstleutnant Goschel (6 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)
   6-Pfündige Fuß Batterie Nr.5: Oberstleutnant Prielle (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

2. Infanteriedivision : Generalleutnant Graf Beckers (7725 Inf.  1140 Cav.  14 Guns)
   3. Brigade: Generalmajor Graf Pappenheim (3836 Inf. 5 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.8 )
   4. Brigade: Generalmajor Freiherr von Zoller (3889 Inf. 5 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.8 )
   2. Brigade zu Pferd: Generalmajor von Elbracht (1140 Cav. 2 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 5.0)
   Leichte Batterie Nr.2: Major von Caspers (6 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)
   6-Pfündige Fuß Batterie Nr.7: Oberstleutnant Truckern (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

3. Infanteriedivision : Generalmajor von Lamotte (10727 Inf.  1117 Cav.  14 Guns)
   5. Brigade: Generalmajor von der Stockh (5366 Inf. 7 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.9)
   6. Brigade: Generalmajor Deroy (5361 Inf. 7 battalions  Avg. Exp. 3.7)
   3. Brigade zu Pferd: Oberst von Diez (1117 Cav. 2 squadrons  Avg.Exp. 5.0)
   Leichte Batterie Nr.3: Major Wagner (6 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)
   6-Pfündige Fuß Batterie Nr.9: Oberstleutnant Dittrich (8 Guns   Avg. Exp. 5.0)

Map of the enemy dispositions you have been made aware of. Your corps is advancing along the road near Waldau in the order 1st, 2nd, 3rd divisions.

Mini-campaign of linked battles Positions

We hope to play this battle as co-op vs the AI today at our usual time of 20:00 BST, 21:00 CET, 15:00 EST.

The losses of both sides will be carried over into two more battles in this mini-campaign test, one near Verdun in the Champagne region and one in Paris.

Link to the mod you will need to play this scenario.

KS 1814 MiniCamp Mod.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:46 pm

This has Hanau written all over it. affraid
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:54 pm

That's why this is a test, if you prove unsuitable for command Schwarzenberg will appoint some other person who is out of favour at court Razz

...though you may wish to know that the rich burghers of Alt Goldberg named their town for a good reason...

I added a link to the KS 1814 Mod.

EDIT: There are some Kreis (regional militia) battalions in the Bavarian army. Checking the various sources it seems probable these didn't have proper uniforms and may have just worn greatcoats over waistcoats and breeches so I have used the French winter greatcoat sprites for these and each Kreis battalion also carries a second, white flag (which if you look EXTREMELY closely) has the name of its town in the crest in the centre. These second white flags might also prove useful for other purposes.

Also discovered yesterday that the Bavarians raised a hussar regiment, an uhlan regiment and a garde du korps regiment of cavalry for 1814. Interesting what you discover when you dig around into the background of a nation you've not paid much interest in before.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't see the link.

At Hanau, Wrede thought he was just scooping up a bunch of French stragglers. Unfortunately for him, they were in the company of Napoleon and the Guard. The battle was an object lesson in the power of Guard artillery.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 pm

The link is just under the map.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:51 pm

A very bloody battle with heavy losses to the French, particularly several batteries and moderate losses to the Bavarians. The Young Guard Division of General Barrois was especially badly handled losing all its artillery except for three guns.

Much to my surprise the Bavarians stormed over the bridge and took the town at the point of the bayonet with street fighting reminiscent of Arnhem in 1944.

By dusk the town of Alt-Goldberg was entirely in Bavarian hands except for one fortified building in the south west suburbs. While the French were in process of building up a counter-attack in the north with their 2nd Division, dusk fell and during the night the French pulled out of contact away to the west.

The Bavarian corps has spent a couple of days resting, reorganising and sending silverware and some nice paintings home and is ready to press on west.

Mini-campaign of linked battles BattleMovements

Replay File.

The ratios of the forces. The French outnumbered the Bavarians by a modest amount but one of their divisions (2nd, at Wildungen) was not in action.

Mini-campaign of linked battles ScenarioBalance

French Order of Battle:

I Corps: Général de Division Maison (30596 Inf. 4803 Cav. 64 Guns))

4e Jeune Garde Division: Général de Division Comte Barrois (6624 Inf. 1383 Cav. 16 Guns)
7e Jeune Garde Brigade: Général de Brigade Poret de Morvau (3301 Inf. 5 battalions Avg. Exp. 6.0)
8e Jeune Garde Brigade: Général de Brigade Dariule (3323 Inf. 5 battalions Avg. Exp. 6.0)
3e Brigade Cavallerie de la Garde: Général de division Castex (1383 Cav. 3 squadrons Avg.Exp. 7.0)
3e Jeune Garde Batterie à Pied: Major Poinsin (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 7.0)
13e Jeune Garde Batterie à Pied: Major Brincombe (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 7.0)

1er Division: Général de division Ledru des Essars (8023 Inf. 1161 Cav. 16 Guns)
Brigade Lefebvre: Général de brigade Lefebvre (3980 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.3)
Brigade Schiner: Général de brigade Schiner (4043 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.7)
Brigade Buquet: Général de brigade Buquet (1161 Cav. 2 squadrons Avg.Exp. 5.0)
10ème Compagnie 8ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Delore (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)
16ème Compagnie 5ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Bruillon (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)

2éme Division: Général de division Ambert (7987 Inf. 1141 Cav. 16 Guns)
Brigade Bruny: Général de brigade Bruny (4006 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.7)
Brigade Penne: Général de brigade Penne (3981 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.7)
Brigade Travois: Général de brigade Travois (1141 Cav. 2 squadrons Avg.Exp. 5.0)
4ème Compagnie 8ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Picatier (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)
9ème Compagnie 8ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Brune (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)

3éme Division: Général de division Carra St-Cyr (7962 Inf. 1118 Cav. 16 Guns)
Brigade Lorcet: Général de brigade Lorcet (3959 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.7)
Brigade Serieuse: Général de brigade Serieuse (4003 Inf. 6 battalions Avg. Exp. 4.3)
Brigade Pulin: Général de brigade Pulin (1118 Cav. 2 squadrons Avg.Exp. 5.0)
4ème Compagnie 4ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Dommetier (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)
9ème Compagnie 4ème Artillerie à Pied: Major Ricard (8 Guns Avg. Exp. 6.0)
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:02 am

Any battle on this map is a nightmare for the attacker.  Taking Alt Goldberg was particularly horrific as the bridge over the river is overlooked by a steep bank with the town on top.  Not surprisingly, the French posted a brigade and two batteries to watch over the crossing.  In the town was the rest of the division.  Although we were able to secure a bridgehead fairly quickly and at not too great a cost, the ensuing house to house fighting was very costly.  Added to that was the artillery of the Young Guard, which was well trained and could not miss.  Fortunately, most of the Guard artillery was either captured or routed off the field.

The results say it all.
Mini-campaign of linked battles Battle10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:24 am

Sheesh,. I missed all the fun while getting my truck inspected. Embarassed

See you all for tomorrow's campaign battle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:23 pm

The second action in the 1814 campaign is Sezanne, a small town just south of the fortress of Verdun. The Bavarian corps must secure this town and the good east-west road network in this region so that they can push forces beyond Verdun, which is being held by a determined garrison and must be invested by an Austrian army and bypassed.

The map is France Cold Harbour, the Bavarians are near Saint Ouen and the objective is Sezanne.

Mini-campaign of linked battles Nap_France_ColdHarbor

I just need to know which three Bavarian divisions Gen. Wrede wishes to commit.

Bavarian Corps OOB
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next