Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War)

+2
Martin
PeterRobbins
6 posters

Go down

Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War) Empty Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War)

Post  PeterRobbins Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:17 am

Greetings from the US. I'm new around here. I only recently took part in the Southern California Kriegsspiel online event of Gettysburg which I think a couple of your members also participated in. I wanted to let you all know that I am organizing a naval kriegsspiel based upon the Harpoon scenario "Lombardo's Trident" from the ATG's South Atlantic War II expansion for Harpoon 5. It will be a full double-blinded naval kriegsspiel featuring an umpire master copy of the theater of operations (using Simplot2) and a RED and BLUE strategic planning board using Tabletop Simulator. The first portion will be plotting 6+ hours (or more) of Standing Orders / Patrols. As task groups merge, or as submerged units are within a reasonable detection distance, side rooms will be made for combat using Harpoon 5 rules. Considering the breadth of the operations, this may be a multi-weekend event, but the committal will be one main Strategic planning session of approximately 3 hours, and then a major scenario playout (still double-blinded) as a separate 3-hour session. I'm still planning the particulars, but I thought you all landlubbers as we say MAY want in on a naval kreigS. IF there are any interested folks, let me know as a reply. I want to hold this within December, but it may more realistically be early January. I would make the time Euro-Friendly on a Saturday.

A picture of an early strategic planning map in Tabletop Simulator is here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2305998316

A slightly closer screenshot. Again, this board will be double-blinded and used for planning purposes at each side's separate table. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2306006220

Regards,
Peter Robbins (USA)

PeterRobbins

Martin and ivntorr78 like this post

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War) Empty Re: Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War)

Post  Martin Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi Peter. Welcome to the forum. I'm interested in this, and splitting the game into two 3-hour segments seems quite a neat way of dealing with the trans-Atlantic time-difference.

The maps look excellent. Tabletop Simulator is a really useful piece of kit.

One slight caveat. I know very little about modern naval and air capabilities. Quite coincidentally, I'm in the middle of a book about the campaign, and this has reinforced my low self-esteem in this regard, with much discussion of Sea Cat, Sea Wolf and Sea Dart missile systems, and the pros & cons of Type 42/Type-22 ship combinations.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War) Empty Yes that will play into things...

Post  PeterRobbins Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Regarding your comment "with much discussion of Sea Cat, Sea Wolf and Sea Dart missile systems, and the pros & cons of Type 42/Type-22 ship combinations." This will very much play into the Anti Air ratings of those systems, some of which had poor software at the time. Eventually, newer ships that showed up had updated software. I wouldn't worry too much about the knowledge set. This is very much a "casual" affair, to d just experience the systems involved. The main point of it is to basically try out some what-ifs, and have fun and learn in the process.

No Harpoon playing background required. The game is very simple. It's just what you learn over time as far as detection that will give you experience. I'll try and have a judge per side to "help" a bit in that regard.

PeterRobbins

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War) Empty Re: Upcoming Naval Kriegsspiel : Harpoon 5 - Lombardo's Trident (Falklands War)

Post  Iwein Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi Peter, after having a great time as cavalry commander in the Gettysburg Kriegspiel last weekend I am certainly interested to join your upcoming naval kriegspiel game but like Martin I am also a complete newby in modern naval wargames.

Ivan Mostinckx

Iwein

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 pm

No worries at all experience-wise. I will judge it all 'open-booked' as far as helping everyone with detection and weapon deployment. I'll make sure that the Umpire on each table is a veteran player and will help give pointers throughout. This effort isn't to test your individual modern naval know-how, but just to force your brain to think outside your comfort zone as to resource management, getting assets within striking distance, etc. Which we'll help you understand the ranges involved, etc to increase the chance of getting hits.

Just keep your orders simple and to the point. I want to move to X and when the enemy is detected do Y, etc.

One of the really cool aspects of Harpoon 5 in particular, it's a learning experience, even for those that DO know the systems. It is NOT a difficult rule set, but it is detailed. The actual execution of the phases of a turn is very elementary. Usually a d100 roll, or another simple dice roll. The detail (I will never say difficulty, as they use pretty simple charts and modifiers) is in determining modifiers, and we'll help you get the most of them to establish a fire control solution.

A short blurb from the Harpoon 5 rules will act as a great basic guide to modern naval warfare:

The “Kill Chain” - The “kill chain” is an abstract analytical model that breaks the complex nature of combat down into logical, manageable steps. There have been many kill chain models over the years; the current favorite is the “F2T2EA” approach - Find, Fix, Track, Target,
Engage, and Assess. Each “step” is tackled by a particular system on the attacking platform, but the collective goal is to accurately place
ordnance on target. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_chain

The overall basic phases are -

Plotting Phase (Players write down (log) movement,
planned fire against known targets, and other orders for their forces.)
Movement Phase (You guessed it right, you move)
Planned Fire Phase (You resolve your weapons firing that you plotted in the Plotting Phase. You establish an FC or Fire Control resolution based upon the level of detection and some other steps)
Detection Phase (Check if you see any new enemy units)
Reaction Fire Phase (Fire at something that you just became aware of; only certain weapon types can do this*)

I'll leave it at that. Long story short, it's an easy game. And the first stage of the Kriegsspiel will be top-down, plotting out patrols of larger Task Groups known as TGs. TGs are groups of units within a Task Force. Sometimes referred to as Surface Groups or Battle Groups. This will give you a basic idea of how Operations are broken down. Any Operation usually has multiple Task Forces or Task Groups. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_force

I can meet a week+ ahead of the event with anyone new to Harpoon and give you a crash course in Detection, Fire Control, Weapons Deployment, and Self Defense (Anti Air). The real crux of Harpoon is knowing your detection ranges, how things may affect that, and then how to develop a better fire control resolution before firing in a manner that gives your enemy minimal chances of defending.

Last edited by PeterRobbins on Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PeterRobbins

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm

I'm going to do a video tutorial on how this will work out this weekend. I'll let you all know the links once available. That will better inform you on whether it is something you wish to take part in. I think you will enjoy it. Again, Casual.. Fun, No Experience Required, keywords.

PeterRobbins

Iwein likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Good idea. Many thanks, Peter.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:18 am

Martin and Ivan: If you could both join the Harpoon 5 Multiplayer Discord Server (at your next convenience) we'll be organizing communications there ahead of the early New Year sessions.

https://discord.com/invite/t7pekGk

to join it.

I should show up on there as Peter Robbins from FB as a nickname. You can of course LEAVE that server after we hold the sessions Smile no offense taken if you do!

PeterRobbins

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 am

Just a quick update that we have 7 interested players now. Things are picking up recruiting wise. I need to recruit a couple of additional umpires and we'll seal the deal by scheduling officially soon-ish. Please join that server and when you get in there, right-click on your name and use Change Nickname to match your real name as much as you can.

PeterRobbins

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Added Part1 intro video. Primarily Surface and Sub plotting chatted on. We'll do a Part 2 about air mission planning next Sunday morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrOO3c7BI8
This will give you a rough idea of how this will be played out. Rough.

PeterRobbins

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Many thanks again, Peter. You're putting a lot into this game.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi Peter

Have been reading through the posts on the game's discord channel.  I appreciate that answers to some of my questions below may be there, but coming into this so late - and with so much already there - I'm finding it difficult to find it.  Would you mind making another post here please, covering the following:

Period simulated: From your previous posts, I assume this is an operation involving a number of task groups and or task forces over a period of hours (of game-time).  So stuff like ship rotation and repair is not included.  Is that all correct?

Scope of game:  Is this just naval/air, or might their be some element of land operations?  Not necessarily the San Carlos landing, but perhaps shore bombardment, or the infiltration of special forces?

Player roles:   Do most players command individual ships, or task groups and task forces composed of multiple ships?  Could you give an example of the chain of command, and where a newbie is likely to sit within it?

Strategic planning session: Will this involve all players, or just the senior ones in the chain of command.  If all, how will anything be agreed Wink

Major scenario playout: I understand this will be done using Harpoon.  I assume that the umpires will use that to handle movement and combat.  I've never played Harpoon.  Will I need to familiarise myself with the charts and tables, or will the Table Umpire guide me?  If the former, can you post a link to the charts and tables.  Sorry if you've already done that somewhere.

Other reading:
Is it necessary to read-up more generally about 1982 ship and aircraft capabilities?  If so, can you provide some recommendations?

Previous games: Have you run any of these games previously?  If so are any AARs or videos I could look at?

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Keep in mind, currently, we have 4 players signed up per side (so my answers will take that into account unless more show up).

Period simulated: From your previous posts, I assume this is an operation involving a number of task groups and or task forces over a period of hours (of game-time).  So stuff like ship rotation and repair is not included.  Is that all correct? There will be a slight (very slight) chance of engineering, sensor or weapons casualties (items needing immediate repair) even within the roughly 72 hour time-gap we'll likely simulatoe.

Scope of game:  Is this just naval/air, or might their be some element of land operations?  Not necessarily the San Carlos landing, but perhaps shore bombardment, or the infiltration of special forces? I only recently was thinking about this as the scenario itself that this is based upon only very loosely mentions the special forces. For the time being, it will be naval and air only. But let me come back to you on this one, as it makes more sense to also give extra credit if you will for insertions and diversionary bombardments.

Player roles:   Do most players command individual ships, or task groups and task forces composed of multiple ships?  Could you give an example of the chain of command, and where a newbie is likely to sit within it? This may need to be fluid. You will start off during planning as ops room commanders, tasking Task Groups with patrols and air resources on planned missions (strike and CAP duties). When a proper fight breaks out, worth placing on the tabletop if you will, I think we'd want all the players to take part, but if anyone wanted to step back a tiny bit and observe mostly during the nitty-gritty, they can.

Strategic planning session: Will this involve all players, or just the senior ones in the chain of command.  If all, how will anything be agreed Wink. It is intended for all players on a side to attend their side planning session. I would recommend during those sessions to assign an overall Task Force commander per task force that you keep intact or split up.

Major scenario playout: I understand this will be done using Harpoon.  I assume that the umpires will use that to handle movement and combat.  I've never played Harpoon.  Will I need to familiarise myself with the charts and tables, or will the Table Umpire guide me?  If the former, can you post a link to the charts and tables.  Sorry if you've already done that somewhere. The table umpire will help you make decisions within a tactical fight as needed.

Other reading: Is it necessary to read-up more generally about 1982 ship and aircraft capabilities?  If so, can you provide some recommendations? I personally would recommend One Hundred Days by Admiral Woodward. It was the impetus for me wanting to do this at all.

Previous games: Have you run any of these games previously?  If so are any AARs or videos I could look at? Hold for a link or two later today. My son needs to grab my laptop for school for a bit.

PeterRobbins

DanOwsen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DanOwsen Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi Peter,

Do you have a schedule that shows the times for the various planning meetings and informational online hangouts? Thinking mainly about the one this coming Sunday, but also would be nice to start booking the time on the family calendar for the gaming sessions in January. Thanks for posting the video to the previous info session. I will watch that when I have a chance.

Thank you!

Dan Owsen

DanOwsen

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterRobbins Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:34 pm

If we could move all communications for this particular event over to https://discord.com/invite/t7pekGk now. Ivan M, I have not seen you join the server, if you can please join it if you want to play in the match.

PeterRobbins

DanOwsen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Peter I just popped into the Discord server and watched a bit of your intro to the game, nice use of discord and TTS to run the game.

Hope it goes well for you and will try and keep an eye open for the progress of the game.

MJ1

PeterRobbins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ivntorr78 Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Hello Peter,

I think this is a great idea, and very interested in participating in this game. Will updates be posted here are to when it will take place, side preference, etc?

Ivan Torres

ivntorr78

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi Ivan you might have missed this?

"If we could move all communications for this particular event over to https://discord.com/invite/t7pekGk now. Ivan M, I have not seen you join the server, if you can please join it if you want to play in the match."

You will need to use discord and check it out inside there, lots of information and he is active within the discord chat so will perhaps get a quicker answer?

MJ1

ivntorr78 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down