Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+15
NY Cavalry
Miko77
Ostwindflak
Mr. Digby
lordjoe1234
Uncle Billy
Theodor Schmidt
Grog
alexman142
Charmead
Challenge
scauispo
Jeanathan
WSH Baylor
CaptainAndrew
19 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 34 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Miko77 Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:31 pm

I am calling for a rematch since the outcome generator had us at a draw.

You held the objective quite firmly, so in terms of goals for scenario the battle was won by you.
I don't think it's possible for French to win unless Russian side makes some totally disastrous move.

I'm a bit disheartened by how fight looks like... it all comes down to who knocks out enemy artillery(usually with cavalry like in Total War, or with counter-battery fire). Artillery is way too powerful at long range and too quick when moving (often preceding infantry columns).

I'll make scenario that cuts artillery batteries size by 1/3 and also keep the experiment from last time where cavalry was represented by half-regiment units - which encouraged players to actually put cavalry in line formation.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Although difficult, I think the French can win this fight. If it had been a 3 hr. scenario the first time we played it, the French would have had a good chance of taking the objective.

In this 2nd play through the French divisions did not unite until the larger one had already been badly damaged. At that point, I don't think the French had much of a chance to win.

Artillery is queen of the battlefield, as Napoleon said. It's not surprising that it does a great deal of damage when the distance to a target is only 550-650 yd., as was the case in this battle. Most of your guns were lost to counter battery and infantry fire. I think the cavalry only captured two guns and that was because they chased their intended victim, a skirmish battalion, through the battery.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Although difficult, I think the French can win this fight. If it had been a 3 hr. scenario the first time we played it, the French would have had a good chance of taking the objective.

When I played on Russian side I wasted most of my small division to buy some time. I don't know how Mike wasted Russian Elite Heavy Cav - or did he not? So I made quite a mistake in the first battle and still French didn't take the objective. Maybe slightly more success to French side heaving 3 experienced players vs 2?
Russian just need to move both divisions towards objective - they are closer, they have better cavalry and more firepower - how in the world is this possible to win by French without major mistakes on Russian side?

In this 2nd play through the French divisions did not unite until the larger one had already been badly damaged. At that point, I don't think the French had much of a chance to win.

so I was supposed to wait for other French division - away from Russians (I guess)... and then attack? couple problems with that:
1) both Russian divisions would sit on the objective while French were uniting forces
2) probably about 30-40 minutes would take to connect French forces and another 20-30 minutes to march and attack somewhere - Russian left and centre? or both flanks? - nothing would be surprise for Russians and they could easily shift forces to where attack was coming from.

I suggest changing deployment for this scenario as it turns out to be Attack-Defence with attacking force not having much in their hand (I only can think of Guard Horse Artillery) - If Russians were further away from objective or French divisions closer to it (and/or to each other), this scenario would be more like Meeting Engagement, and fairer.

as for the last point I wasn't referring this battle only... I repeatedly get slaughtered at long range at rate of 30-50 men lost by single shot. Sometimes I call retreat on my cavalry couple times and even among and behind other friendly troops they still get shot at as if there was GPS targeting. Queen of the battlefield or not it simply wasn't as effective.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:55 pm

The Russian cavalry was slightly better and had 120 more men than the French. The Russians had 2 more guns than the French, but the French had better quality overall. The French also had slightly more infantry. Overall, the normalized quality was 1.03 in favor of the Russians. Neither side had a terrain advantage. That's about as even a battle that one can have.

Your division was attacked by the entire Russian force from two directions for a short period of time with the entire Russian artillery arm firing at you. The chances of survival in that situation are not very good.

Historically, it is estimated that artillery was responsible for 50% of the casualties during the Napoleonic wars. Most of our battles have artillery casualties in the 30-35% range. We need better artillery!!!

This battle saw Russian casualties due to French guns at ~66%. The French had ~55% artillery casualties. The overall casualties were, 4009 Russian and 4156 French.

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 am

Neither side had a terrain advantage. That's about as even a battle that one can have.

Russians starting closer to the objective gives them huge advantage.

Historically, it is estimated that artillery was responsible for 50% of the casualties during the Napoleonic wars.

citation needed... I tried to google it and so far I got statements that it's impossible to tell and someone tried to assess it was about 20%...

Your division was attacked by the entire Russian force from two directions for a short period of time with the entire Russian artillery arm firing at you. The chances of survival in that situation are not very good.

Yes... and if there was teleportation available for another French division there would be a chance of improving the situation. I don't understand why are you ignoring the fact that French simply couldn't get there together at the same time as Russians.

Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am

Who got there first is not important. It's important to launch a coordinated attack with the full force. We have many battles where the defender starts at the objective and the attacker does not arrive all at once.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:18 pm

The outcome of the battle had nothing to do with Kevin's scenario make up or Miko's tactics.

It was all ME and my superior operational awareness!!!!

Until Gonzo showed up with the 4 guns super battery and tore me to shreds.

Suspect affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46 pm

It was all ME and my superior operational awareness!!!!

will give you that in Phil's absence lol!
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Anyone free for today?

This could be my last game ever if all the fruitcake hurricane predictions comes true. 100 mph sustained winds and 22 inches of rain. affraid

On a lighter not the official forecast is sustained winds at 35 mph and only 5 inches of rain.

I will work to redeem my scenario making mishaps too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Looks like the AARs thread is dead! Razz
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 GMT.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Looks like the AARs thread is dead!

well... it's easy to derail discussion here from arranging games to AAR... and I really didn't want to discuss this battle. If you ask for replay, I'll post in AAR thread, though Smile
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:31 am

Now that we have lost Mike to mother nature, I am finally going to start making scenarios myself. I welcome everyone to join me tonight for a grand ol' time.

The scenarios themselves will be unconventional and played on either the DLC maps or one of the mod's maps. Participation is mandatory. Having fun is a requirement. Mike must not be there.*

*Mike can be there Smile
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 am

We survived the hurricane that never came. It pushed north into Nicaragua so much for witnessing the first hurricane to ever strike Costa Rica in modern history, all we got was thick fog and a few showers.

But that 7.0 jolt we go from off the coast of El Salvador that lifted the house up for a moment made up the disappointment of missing the hurricane.

I should make it today barring a direct hit from a meteorite. affraid

With a Thanksgiving like this who needs excitement. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:26 am

The scenarios themselves will be unconventional and played on either the DLC maps or one of the mod's maps. Participation is mandatory. Having fun is a requirement.

I have my scenario ready with alternate history path where Prussia becomes Napoleon's ally and comes to aid Poland to repel Russian invasion while Napoleon is occupied with prolonged war in Spain.

As regarding to fun - If I see Russian 12lbs paired with cuirassiers again, facing anything else than their French counterparts, I'll be very disappointed.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I can play at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 GMT.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I couldn't finish my scenario in time yesterday as it turned out to be pretty finicky to set up but I have it done for a game today. Regular time - 14:00 EST, 19:00 GMT.
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:49 pm

I am not going to be there!!!!!!*

I will be there!!!* Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 pm

I can play today.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Anyone interested in try the Ligny map today?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:47 pm

I have it and can make the scenario on that map as well but I don't think Kevin has it.
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 pm

I bought it last night. I am currently making a command map for it.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:38 pm

I do not have it but I will on the first week in December.

If you are going to use it today let me know, I got several things I can do today.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:37 pm

If you plan to get it soon we can wait. Would give Kevin a chance to get a minimap done for it as well.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Anything going on today?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next