Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+31
scauispo
Volunteer
Miko77
CaptainAndrew
SJDIII
GavinP
skelos
Iriasthor
Sir_Iron
PhillWP
NY Cavalry
7thGalaxy
lecrop
kg little mac
Charmead
WJPalmer
MJP
Mark87
midgetmanifesto
ej1
SolInvictus202
Calpurnius
Iberalc
Leffe7
Martin
Ike
MajorByrd
Uncle Billy
Grog
WSH Baylor
Mr. Digby
35 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 30 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Miko77 Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:40 pm

If you are on an approach march across the map using roads, please put your units in road march column, not any other formation just because its more convenient.

I guess that's directed at me...
well... we could have discussed this in civilised manner... but in these circumstances I'll take a break from SoW...
Cheers
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Miko, we are discussing it in a civilised manner. We have found that directly after a game in TS is not the best place to discuss issues such as these.

Yes, my comment was aimed at you due to that particular incident as those kinds of behaviours are not acceptable in our group. If you can defend what you did, please do so. But my comment is aimed at everyone and is a polite request to play in a way that is realistic and historical, which is how our group tries to play. You can see at the top of the forums our statement about how we play and the ethics of our group - this applies to all Kriegspiel games, those we play face to face, by e-mail and online. If you play with us you need to respect that.

Andrew and Jeanathan... Yes, in hindsight it may have been a good idea to explain the new mechanics.

Generals alone are very vulnerable. Do not go within about 300 yds of any enemy (other than another general or couriers) without one of your own units staying within about 200 yds of you. This new change is to stop single generals going scouting alone. Many player deaths occurred on Sunday because of this.

We have a house rule which we cannot enforce which is that player generals must always stay within 250 yds of their own troops anyway. A corps commander can of course ride across wider gaps between his own divisions as long as he doesn't go via areas towards the enemy.

We were not happy with players TC'ing a squadron and riding away with it to do surgical strikes on enemy batteries, particularly late in a game when almost always the guns' supporting infantry has been committed elsewhere. Single squadrons away from supports (about 200yds) will simply retreat away. Their morale does not suffer. Their running away will increase fatigue. Of course if a general has taken it with him, it'll retreat away and then he'll die.

We are trying to use creative ways to encourage more historical play. Feedback is always welcome. If you want to go destroy that battery you should take a brigade!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Is there a game today?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm working on a swedish scenario but I've run into a few problems which I think could be because of the map (Prairie Grove)
Otherwise, I was planning on maybe setting up a game today or in the future, as long as I get it fixed. ^^

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm

I am up for a game but like most week days I will have to leave early

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Concerning the death of commanders this is a change in v118 of the KS Mod. Players must not ride out away from their units any more or they'll die (shot by enemy picquets or skirmishers) and taking single squadrons far away from any supports to do surgical attacks on enemy batteries will also fail. You have been warned!

With that it will be almost impossible to be CinC and take troops at the same time. I was killed when scouting and many times within my own lines.

The last cavalry squadron of a brigade will be useless.

Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 pm

I would be up for a game today.

I have not downloaded the Swedish mode since I heard players saying they had to change some files back from that mod to be able to play the KS mode.

Is that so?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:35 pm

No, that is completely false. The current version fixes any problem with conflicting mods.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks Jonathan, I will look at down loading it today or over night depending on the size.

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Jeanathan is correct all i had to do is download it and put it in the mods files. The only thing we had to do that meant changing files  was for a sandbox scenario.
so don't worry its all good Very Happy

make sure when you go to tick the mod box that you also has the KS stuff ticked as well it needs the KS mod with it.

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:48 pm

No problem Morsey, the size should be around 300-400 megabytes.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

I will DL it over night.

THX Joe and Jonathan for the info!

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Jeanathan wrote: I believe I never ordered you to screen their right flank. What I remember was me telling you that I was needed elsewhere and for you to hold the right flank. And then the CiC told me to send for reinforcements and bring my entire division to Lissa and so I sent about three letters to you asking for your assistance at Lisa and to abandon the right flank. Maybe there was some miscommunication or misinterpretations. A lot of misses I'm guessing. Wink

Very interesting to hear your side of the communication.  I honestly did not know you had left with the rest of the Division for Lissa until I read it the next day in this forum.  I guess I made a decent show of defending the flank, but I am now glad the Russians didn't realize I was there all alone because I was way too far to the right with no support on the hill.  As far as the couriers, some must have died on the way to me.  What I remember is you told me to go right.  Then the CinC told me to come to Lissa.  I replied to the CinC that I could not because you had told me to hold the right flank.  Then I told that to you.  Then the CinC told me again, somewhat forcefully, to ignore the right and come to Lissa.  Then you told me to obey the CinC and go to Lissa.  So I went to Lissa .... Smile.   (I was already moving to Lissa when the rest of your requests arrived.)
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Iberalc wrote:
Concerning the death of commanders this is a change in v118 of the KS Mod. Players must not ride out away from their units any more or they'll die (shot by enemy picquets or skirmishers) and taking single squadrons far away from any supports to do surgical attacks on enemy batteries will also fail. You have been warned!

With that it will be almost impossible to be CinC and take troops at the same time. I was killed when scouting and many times within my own lines.

The last cavalry squadron of a brigade will be useless.

As the new guy, I was a little surprised when the CinC was given the cav brigade for his personal use.  I expected him to do nothing but ride around alone looking for good view points, sending couriers and managing the battle.  Is this done just to make the MP game more interesting for the person playing the CinC?  Doesn't seem historically accurate.  Just curious.
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:11 pm

it would be more historically accurate but there would not be much fun in just going around watching the battle from a far. That what I think at least

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:31 pm

One of the reason there is a limit on how far your CMDR can be away from his troops is that some players in the past would go 1000 yds or more from their Army. Sneak around and get intel, I like the added idea that you go to far away you die since realistically there would be a chance that you would die if you crossed into enemy controlled territory.

I am for recon but I do not think it is possible in this format to occur and to hope a gentlemen rule would be respected when it has not been in the past. Unless there was a small unit made for just recon and a player could do that during the game but that is possibly not historically correct. I was under the understanding that the recon accrued before the battle in most cases.

Shame on you Kevin for making us find out that hard way........ lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 pm

I expected him to do nothing but ride around alone looking for good view points, sending couriers and managing the battle. Is this done just to make the MP game more interesting for the person playing the CinC? Doesn't seem historically accurate. Just curious.

You are right. No one wants to be CinC.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 pm

Now the question is are we going to have a game today?

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

that is the question indeed Very Happy

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:33 pm

When I am C-in-C, which I admit is not often as I am not a leader but a follower, I actually prefer not to have any troops under my direct command so that I can focus on commanding my corps and having my divisions act how I wish. I find that when I am a C-in-C who has troops I often lose sight of the big picture in order to focus on the details.

For me commanding a corps in HITs and couriers is a full time job.

Pepe, a C-in-C's job is the same, nothing has changed. We had the rule before where a general could not go beyond 250 yds of his troops, all we have done is enforce it with death.

The last squadron of a brigade is just as versatile as it was before if you keep it near friendly troops. They don't have to be squadrons of its own brigade. As an alternative view I would be in favour of any unit retreating when unsupported by any friends. No unit in a Napoleonic combat would be able to function effectively at a distance from any supports.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 pm

3 of us on TS now any takers for today?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Is anyone up for a game today at about 19:30 GMT?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:11 pm

I should be able to show up

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 pm

5 of us in TS, anyone else want a game? We might try the Swedish mod.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Would have been there, was at immigration's most of the day. pale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next