Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+31
scauispo
Volunteer
Miko77
CaptainAndrew
SJDIII
GavinP
skelos
Iriasthor
Sir_Iron
PhillWP
NY Cavalry
7thGalaxy
lecrop
kg little mac
Charmead
WJPalmer
MJP
Mark87
midgetmanifesto
ej1
SolInvictus202
Calpurnius
Iberalc
Leffe7
Martin
Ike
MajorByrd
Uncle Billy
Grog
WSH Baylor
Mr. Digby
35 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 29 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  lordjoe1234 Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:54 pm

thnx Morsey. shame I was not able to see the end of the game I was enjoying it Very Happy

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:38 am

Is there a game today?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Hope so! Kevin?

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm

I have a small scenario that can be played either as PvP or co-op.  I can be there at the usual time 20:00GMT, 15:00EST.
Impromptu Games - Page 29 Initia15

British light dragoons, patrolling along the Novaya Moskva Road intercepted a supply train containing the French army's monthly allotment of truffles and soft cheese.  This is a devastating blow to Napoleon's men.  They cannot stay in the field for long without the necessities of life.  General d'Erlon and his corps have been sent to reclaim the stolen property.

The dragoons have retreated south across the Reka Ogra where it is thought a British corps is deployed.  No doubt they are congratulating themselves for pulling off such a theft, all the while laughing at the questionable culinary tastes of their opponent.  After all, it's not boiled beef and Stilton cheese.

Objective: The French must move across the Ogra and reclaim their stolen property and deal with the thieves.  The British must fend off the barbarians so they may destroy the disgusting plunder in peace.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 pm

I can't play today. Sunday will be my day.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  scauispo Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm up for a game today.
scauispo
scauispo

Back to top Go down

Post  lordjoe1234 Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:22 pm

I can do today

lordjoe1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 am

Wow, that was an intense game, a real meat grinder. Thanks to Kevin for making the scenario and to everyone for an amazing evening. Those English infantry just will not give up! I think we French finally made it to the top of the hill as where I was in the N the Allies were crumbling but it looked a lot like mutual destruction in most places.

That new map is a very nice one - those wooded steam valleys are simply horrible terrain to see or fight across.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:21 pm

This was one of the better battles I participated in. It was the slow, deliberate destruction of two armies. Both sides did an excellent job in that regard. affraid I thought it had a very napoleonic feel to it. The matter wasn't settled until the last 10 minutes of fighting. Well done, everyone.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Allies ( Andrew, Joe, Phil and Tyler) we rocked until the last 10 minutes of the battle, the smell of that hot sweaty cheese finally over came us, no civilized Army could have survived the first Bio flagellating cheese attack and that's my story.

Earlier when I though we were on the ropes you guys came back and held on until the end!!  cheers

The left was so bloody that I was surprised that Kevin's men and horse's made it up the slippery slope of carnage.  Can you make a mod for that? lol!

I am also waiting for my Funeral March Music mod too.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:07 pm

To me the battle ended around the time we lost Brunswick's cavalry and Tyler crashed. After that it was very much a lost cause so I decided that I might as well charge with the cavalry I've got, be it at a square or not, so that I could end it with another glorious cavalry charge.

What's interesting is that I had no idea that my Hannoverian landwehr would be able to hold for so long and especially under the command of such an inexpierienced AI commander. I certainly didn't have high hopes for them.

There's one thing that stood out as a new bug to me - the fact that units that retreated by themselves when under TC didn't always do it when it made sense. Sometimes my cavalry squadrons would reatreat with full morale and multiple support bonuses and little losses. At no point during the retreat, did their morale drop as an indication that they retreated due to losing their spirits. It could also be that the dutch just didn't like leaving the cheese so unprotected.
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:54 pm

If the cavalry has no other friendly cavalry with it when it charges, it will often retreat. It will also frequently retreat when its target is in square. Clearly your cavalry was very reluctant to participate in your suicide missions. Who can blame them.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:30 pm

The cases that I'm talking about weren't charges, the squadrons stood still. Usually when they retreat for whatever reason when standing still, it's at least indicated with their morale dropping but in this case it didn't seem happen. Could be a one off bug

One other thing I noticed and just remembered, was that units, which are charging after retreating enemy units can engage other enemy units if they happen to be in the way. Yesterday it happened to be a square. Needless to say that for such a situation to occur, the retreating enemy would have to run very close or right through their own batallions which is one of those things in SoW that the dev never seems to fix. Overlaping formations do make life easier but also cause situations like this.
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm

I tend to look at such situations with a broad brush and assume things like men are running towards a friendly square and throwing themselves down under the first row of bayonets, or getting in between the files of friendlies. Something like that. The units merging issue is too big for NSD to fix I think. Not sure they'd even want to or see it as a problem even.

Generally when you unleash cavalry its like dropping a bomb anyway, if they come back still usable its a bonus Wink
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks for the game yesterday - it was real bloodbath and occasion to learn some bitter lessons...
Firstly - feeling bad that Morsey has left before battle as I think we could have easily set the satisfactory command structure - If I sounded bossy or something then I sincerely apologise.

Second - for the most part the battle progressed nicely and with good communication with Martin and acceptable communication with Gonzo Smile

but then I made some technical mistakes - I gave autonomy to one of my brigade commander which ended up badly for the brigade... I think I should keep them on take command so long as this is manageable for me...
Also Gonzo's attack from south was beaten back which quite disheartened me... French cavalry seemed to be everywhere and easily repel any attacks...
then my second major technical mistake - I clicked on "send to raid enemy weakened units" (or something similar) for my Cossacks brigade... this resulted in one unit to F$£% off in unknown direction (on replay it seem to be north east) and the other one performed similarly stupid actions exhausting itself in seconds... btw... really, I'd prefer some half decent Gusars or Dragoons with smaller numbers but to be able for some action - Cossacks get fatigued by just marching on the road Sad

Martin's attack seemed to be successful but when all French power turned on him, the result was easy to predict.. and I had only 1-2 battalions in usable state, so "sending everything" did not help...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:17 pm

It was a remarkable battle!

Attack and counterattack all along the front, Russians always coming back, and again. I don't remember a battle like that, with so many come and go once the fight started. The interior lines saved us the day. All French commanders did great, but I think I didn't write so many courier messages before.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Miko you did not sound bossy, no apology needed. I did not want a replay of the last time Gonzo played under my command. Last time Gonzo had CAV under my command he run them into death at first chance, after being told not to so and then he never answered a single courier message that I sent for the whole game. After his ruined the CAV it appeared that he just left the game for a couple of hours. I did not want to spend my Sunday afternoon going through that again, So instead of arguing about it I left it with you guys.

I do not understand why people who play KS cannot respond to a single courier especially when you are right next to me. I figure that it is personal or you just do not want someone else telling you what to do. I am just not going to tolerate it anymore when I am put into that position it is just no fun for me.

Apologies to you all especially Miko.

Nice to see that you posted you had acceptable communication this time with Gonzo.

My only question would be why with you and not me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes, Indeed, the battle was a phenomenal show of two armies clashing together and fighting on a large wide front.

In the first hour, my division fired the first shots from a hilly forest with our artillery guns. Later, as the Russians advanced on the right flank a huge french maneuvre began that lasted for over twenty minutes where my division moved quickly away from our position at the hilly forest to another hilly forest close to Lissa. I assumed our army's right flank and set up shop around the small river in front of us. As the Russians took over the huge hills that we once held, their guns had much better accuracy and power shooting down at us frenchmen holding the hill. Suddenly, Miko and Gonzo made a push toward our center-right and right flank, forcing my division to retreat further up the hill. We set up on a large sloped hill and spread our infantry in the forest, waiting for the Russians to cross the open field to attack us. It appeared that the center-left attack from Miko had stopped attacking my division and instead focused on attacking Tom's division to the center. I sensed this and therefore moved my center troops to the right flank just in time to reinforce my troops in the forest who were bravely fending off Gonzo's russian charge into the forest.

With my cavalry running amok and being disorganized, my cavalry couldn't help my infantrymen who desperately and bravely fought back Gonzo's charge several times before three of my battalions routed. After Gonzo's army was spent, all we could do was hold our position until we received further orders. After about ten minutes of holding our ground, the order to reposition our troops to the army's left flank was given to me.

I left Captal's brigade behind in case the Russian's tried to attack again. My orders were now to reinforce our left flank who was under the command of Kevin. I quickly made my way over there and assessed the situation. The russian left flank commander was Martin, the brit-turned russian. My only shot would have been to make a wing attack to the far left where Martin lacked troops. And so I did it, even though Martin had lancers covering his infantry, I took the risk. And the risk was well worth it, for within ten minutes my troops had accomplished their goal of flanking the Russians.

It was at this point I realized that we needed more troops and more power focused on the center of the russian left flank line. It was at this point I ordered Captal to move to Lissa, our entire battle depended on us retaking it. Currently, Martin was holding it with his very strong line of infantry and cavalry. But it wouldn't take too long until Captal joined us and with his help, we pushed down Martin's center.
While Martin was distracted on his center, I followed suit and pushed on his left. With only a few minutes remaining of the battle, we had retaken Lissa, after many men lost of course, we had prevailed.

Thank you all for the battle, probably the best one I've ever had the pleasure of participating in.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Thank you all for allowing me to participate yesterday. It was a lot of fun and an eye-opener for a first time MP. A special thanks to Jeanathan for being patience and providing good advice. Especially enjoyed skirmishing in front of your lines during the first Russian assault on the hill.

My brigade was on the far right when the Russians then tried to flank the hill through the woods. I thought it was going well right up to the point I was shot and my battalions stopped reacting coherently, to include the two battalions who thought they should stand in the middle of the battle with their backs to the Russians in a brave, but ill-advised, act of defiance. This points to the small problem I was having with using TC. I am inclined not to use it and allow the subordinate units to show initiative with boarder general orders. Is there consensus thinking on the use of TC?

Also, during the final crisis at Lissa, I was initially caught between orders from the boss to move to Lissa and orders from Jeanathan to screen the right flank tree line against a still large Russian force to the right front of the hill. Jeanathan gave good advice on following the senior orders, which allowed my brigade to arrive at Lissa at the critical moment. I thought the HITS construct made that into an interesting and somewhat realistic dilemma when trying understanding courier messages.

All in all, a lot of fun and thanks again.

Al
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Captal wrote:Thank you all for allowing me to participate yesterday. It was a lot of fun and an eye-opener for a first time MP. A special thanks to Jeanathan for being patience and providing good advice. Especially enjoyed skirmishing in front of your lines during the first Russian assault on the hill.

No problems Captal, we've all been more green than yellow at some point.
I think you did a good job for being your first multiplayer game, my suggestion is practicing Take Command, which brings me to your next paragraph.

Captal wrote: I am inclined not to use it and allow the subordinate units to show initiative with boarder general orders. Is there consensus thinking on the use of TC?

It all depends on the person Captal, personally if I was in command of a brigade, using TC shouldn't be difficult at all unless you're new to the concept of TC.

When commanding a division with just infantry and artillery I still have every battalion on TC.

When I have command of cavalry, infantry and artillery I tend to put the cavalry on AI control and TC the rest.

When I only command cavalry, I use TC on all of the squadrons.

When I want to deploy an entire brigade at the same time I turn off TC on the individual battalions and then I turn on TC for the brigade/division commander and then I order him where to go. And once my battalions have arrived, I turn off TC for the commanders and I turn TC on for battalions.

Basically, when moving without enemy presence: TC the commanders, TC off battalions
And, when deploying troops in a combat zone: TC off the commanders, TC on battalions.

Also, something to remember is to keep close to your units, if you are close enough to a battalion you can issue a direct order instead of having to send a courier.

And the reason why you want the battalions on TC in combat and the commander off TC in combat is because you need to command your battalions on precisely what you want them to do, and when the commander is off TC he will move freely, meaning he will move up to his units and support them with his aura of presence which boosts their power level to over 9000...or something like that.

Hope I could help.

Captal wrote:to include the two battalions who thought they should stand in the middle of the battle with their backs to the Russians in a brave, but ill-advised, act of defiance.

Also, this made me giggle.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Captal wrote:Also, during the final crisis at Lissa, I was initially caught between orders from the boss to move to Lissa and orders from Jeanathan to screen the right flank tree line against a still large Russian force to the right front of the hill. Jeanathan gave good advice on following the senior orders, which allowed my brigade to arrive at Lissa at the critical moment. I thought the HITS construct made that into an interesting and somewhat realistic dilemma when trying understanding courier messages.

I believe I never ordered you to screen their right flank. What I remember was me telling you that I was needed elsewhere and for you to hold the right flank. And then the CiC told me to send for reinforcements and bring my entire division to Lissa and so I sent about three letters to you asking for your assistance at Lisa and to abandon the right flank. Maybe there was some miscommunication or misinterpretations. A lot of misses I'm guessing. Wink

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I almost never TC a battalion. It's just asking for trouble. They will not respond to the enemy as you found out with the ones that had their backs to the enemy. It's the same with the cavalry. If they are TC'd and charge through the enemy line, you may never get them back. They won't react to the enemy which will shoot at them until they rout. I will TC a battery commander so I can have him put his guns exactly where I want them, but I always un-TC him after the battery is in position.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 am

It was an exciting game but marred by some players using gamey methods. I do wish players would play as though they were Napoleonic generals and not computer wargamers, it affects the immersion and enjoyment of others.

If you are on an approach march across the map using roads, please put your units in road march column, not any other formation just because its more convenient.

In our campaign games I am able to adjudicate results and losses post-battle so any gamey and unhistorical tactics or methods will cost you casualties and maybe even the battle, Please take this advice on board and adjust your approach accordingly!

I thought the Russian OOB was a nice change and to have imbalance and variation in our games is a good thing. The Kazak Sotnias were unusual and of course huge, being almost the size of infantry battalions. My view is that if every battle has the same menu and the same dishes our palettes won't develop and our taste becomes jaded. Introducing different dishes and spicing things up is good for our taste in food and will help to make us more adaptable generals Wink

The battle looked epic and reminded me of some of the scenes of the Rod Steiger/Christopher Plummer Waterloo film of the 70s. Some screenies here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlkp7y8wmtlg120/Lissa.rar?dl=0

The fight among the houses and woods of Lissa was desperate and exciting. I very nearly pulled it off but the enemy was able to switch enough troops from elsewhere to throw my last battalion out of the streets with just 4 minutes to go before the French baggage and supply trains got there.

It was one of those what-ifs that will haunt me for weeks. I took Lissa with 30 minutes to go and wondered if I had attacked too soon, but on the other hand perhaps I attacked too late and by the time I got the village maybe our far left flank was already tiring in its attack. We shall never know.

Concerning the death of commanders this is a change in v118 of the KS Mod. Players must not ride out away from their units any more or they'll die (shot by enemy picquets or skirmishers) and taking single squadrons far away from any supports to do surgical attacks on enemy batteries will also fail. You have been warned! pirat
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:54 am

I recently noticed what you mentioned about the cavalry attacks failing. This is all nice and I like how it's far more historically accurate but unfortunately it's not really explained well in the game. These lone units simply retreat by themselves without the morale indicator showing that they are weary enough to retreat. I understand that it's very difficult to create new ways to indicate the states that units are in and it may well be next to impossible due to the modding limitations of this game but I would like this to be explained better in the patchnotes.

I enjoy the stuff you guys are making so don't be discouraged!
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:01 am

Andrew wrote:I recently noticed what you mentioned about the cavalry attacks failing. This is all nice and I like how it's far more historically accurate but unfortunately it's not really explained well in the game. These lone units simply retreat by themselves without the morale indicator showing that they are weary enough to retreat. I understand that it's very difficult to create new ways to indicate the states that units are in and it may well be next to impossible due to the modding limitations of this game but I would like this to be explained better in the patchnotes.

I enjoy the stuff you guys are making so don't be discouraged!

I second this, however It would require GUI modding, perhaps adding a few things if it is possible.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next