Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Scenario in SP playing a brigade

3 posters

Go down

Scenario in SP playing a brigade Empty Scenario in SP playing a brigade

Post  Boerenkool met worst Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:53 pm

When playing the KS mod will the AI commence the attack while I'm playing as one of the brigade officers? I've started French scenario 2 and selected brigade commander Francois Amy to play but I don't seem to get any orders from my superiour officers.

Thank you for your reply

Boerenkool met worst
Boerenkool met worst

Back to top Go down

Scenario in SP playing a brigade Empty Re: Scenario in SP playing a brigade

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08 pm

The scenarios were made to be played at division or Corps level. However, you can play them at the brigade level. What likely happened was your division was designated as the reserve by the AI Corps commander. Just try it again, the next time it will likely be different as the reserve division choice tends to be random. You can also try a brigade in a different division.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Boerenkool met worst likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Boerenkool met worst Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:18 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. Will try it tonight.
Boerenkool met worst
Boerenkool met worst

Back to top Go down

Post  Boerenkool met worst Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Just finished my second scenario (scenario 1 French).

Playing as a brigade officer (Antoine Alexandre de Cosson) I was ordered to defend the left flank of the French line. Unfortunatly the Austrians send a strong and overwhelming force upon my men. A cavalry charge by the Austrians destroyed the cavalry of General Mayor Karl Seydewitz who was protecting my right flank. Fully exposed on a small hillside I urged the men to stay calm while I was asking for reinforcements to stand a change against the larger force of Austrians.

Unfortunatly the reinforcements never came. My men fought galliantly but we couldn't match the firepower of the Austrian attack. Morale cratered and my brigade fell in to disarray. Holding on to save the day for our beloved emperor I order the remaining men to line up one last time for a last stand. While my men fired a bullet thrust my chest and I fell...

Another battle, another loss and another thrilling experience. During the playthrough I could just sense the despair for my officer about the position my brigade was ordered to defend. I could see the outcome from miles away. For a moment I thought about abandoning my position, but staying in character I decided to stand firm. The uselessness of defending some positions is something that happend in real battles as wel. So despite the obvious bad decisions by my commanding officer I enjoyed the experience, because it could have happened in a real battle.

Will fight again!
Boerenkool met worst
Boerenkool met worst

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:32 pm

But did the French win the battle? Perhaps you were the sacrifice that allowed victory. We sometimes have battles where a division is sacrificed in order to win. That's perfectly fine so long as you are not the one being offered up. affraid
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 pm

It seems like you may have already been pitched the idea of multiplayer battles but I'll still take the opportunity to do it more Smile  We have a small group of reincarnated Napoleonic officers that plays on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday at 2:00 PM EST.  We openly invite all who wish to join us for a battle.  It can be a bit time consuming at usually takes somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.  You can still take a brigade and if you can't quite make the whole time that's ok too and you could just drop out when you have to.

Having a human for a commander has benefits.  For one, if the division you're in gets sacrificed for the greater good you'll have someone to die with.  And your calls for support will at the very least get a polite reply about why you won't be receiving any support if there's nothing else that can be done.  Or if you're Uncle Billy you could just disobey orders and somehow keep your rank through all the court martials we have called upon him.

I'm glad to see you enjoying the mod though. It definitely brings a level of immersion and involvement that most RTS games don't.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Or if you're Uncle Billy you could just disobey orders and somehow keep your rank through all the court martials we have called upon him.
Royalty has its privilege's. Even you commoners know that. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Boerenkool met worst Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:30 pm

I would be happy to join you guys in one of the upcoming battles. I understand that you guys meet online through discord before every battle?

Boerenkool met worst
Boerenkool met worst

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Indeed. We gather in there a few minutes before 2:00 PM EST to do a quick discussion of what scenario we're playing, look at some maps, and establish some basic orders and then we get in game and play it out. It's also convenient because Kevin usually has a new very small patch for us to download as the multiplayer group is also a little bit the beta testing group with the perk of getting to play all the hottest new changes before they're 'officially' released.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Boerenkool met worst Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:49 pm

I believe I can claim my first scenario victory! Although the scenario gave me a defeat sign I thought my division performed rather well.

I played KSFrench scenario 6 as division commander Barbou. Our objective was to defend the road Leunenburg strasse. I was kinda slow to deploy (the fighting had already started when my men marched unto the battlefield). In the meantime our central division lost the objective to the Austrians. I deployed to the left flank. My artillery put in some good shots into the Austrian advancing regiments. While my artillery fired I repositioned my infantry brigades (under Roize and DuMarque) more to the center as my fellow division commander Severoli proofed to be the weakest link. He already gave up the objective and had retreated his men onto a small slope, but he refused to counter-attack.

After a good shelling of my artillery brigades I gave the order to Roize and DuMarque to attack the enemy at 17:00. When the whistle blew the brigade commander ordered there men forward. We succeeded in recapturing the objective. I changed my orders from assault to hold, because I didn't want to expose my men to a possible flanking manouver from the Austrians. My frontline did suffer some casualties from the enemy artillery and this made me contemplate to renew the offensive. In the end I decided to stand firm. The Austrians tried to flank my men with a cavalry unit, but I responded with sending my dragoons and they succeeded in repelling the danger.

Our right flank dominated the Austrians and came away with a clear victory. If not for the bad generalship from Severoli the French would have had enough points to achieve a victory.

Why I believe it was a victory:

- I inflicted a little bit more casualties than I took (1105 vs 1055).
- I had to cover our left flank and our center after the abysmal performance of Severoli
- I managed to recapture and hold the objective while still having some regiments in reserve
- Our right flank under command of Jean-Baptiste Broussier dominated the Austrians.

It would have been fun to have renewed the offensive. I must say that in every other game I would have went for it, but because this game is so immersive I decided that holding the objective (the important road) was enough to save the day for the Empire.

I tend to believe Severoli was discharged after this battle and Broussier and myself would have been congratulated by the Emperor.

Onto more battles!
Boerenkool met worst
Boerenkool met worst

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Well done. I'm sure the Emperor will be handing you a baton soon.

Don't concern yourself with the game engine's decision of the battle. The true result is based on whether the scenario objective(s) was met and does your side still have a viable fighting force.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down