Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Objectives in the Scenario Generator

4 posters

Go down

Objectives in the Scenario Generator  Empty Objectives in the Scenario Generator

Post  bewhite Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello fellas,
Using the scenario generator for Waterloo. When placing objectives on the map the requirements show 5000 men to secure and 0 points. If you go into the file and change the requirements to 5 men to hold the objective still never lights up. How do these objectives work point wise? Do they do anything other than mark a place on the map?

One thing I noticed in a match last night is the team down by 1000 casualties actually won the game according to the Grade and Victory screen at the end. There were 3 objectives on the map. How is the Grade scored with the KS mod using the scenario generator?

I know that in the base game the Grade is based on casualties and objectives.

Thanks guys!

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Objectives in the Scenario Generator  Empty Re: Objectives in the Scenario Generator

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm

As far as I know, the victory grades are strictly based on points. In our KS games we don't use that measure, unless we are trying to lie ourselves into believing we won when we really lost. Embarassed

The metric we use to determine a winner or loser is simply; was the objective(s) of the scenario fulfilled and does the winner have a viable combat force afterward. Point totals don't matter. We use the objective stars as a reference point only. Usually our scenario requirements call for a town, crossroads, etc. which has a star on it to be occupied by an infantry force of some specified number that is not in combat. Whether the force is directly on it or adjacent to it in the town isn't really important. The important thing is that one side holds it and the other side is not nearby and capable of recapturing it.

I've never used the stars lighting up behavior in a game. That just gives the other side information as to where the enemy is. I think to have them light up you need a specified number of men within a certain radius. The scenario author sets those values.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

bewhite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Objectives in the Scenario Generator  Empty Re: Objectives in the Scenario Generator

Post  bewhite Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. That was helpful for sure as I was looking to find out the intent and purpose of the objectives for the mod and scenario generator. Very helpful!

Best regards,
Bryan

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Objectives in the Scenario Generator  Empty Bad frame in packet Error

Post  bewhite Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Hello, I get this error often when using the scenario generator. Do i need to send the new scenario file that it builds to everyone playing?

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Hello, I get this error often when using the scenario generator. Do i need to send the new scenario file that it builds to everyone playing?

You forgot to paste/quote actual error? Only a host needs scenario files.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Bad frame in packet error which freezes the whole game for everyone.

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Bad frame in packet error which freezes the whole game for everyone.

most common reasons for that are:
1) one or more players have different version of file in Modules subfolder of the KS Mod - however if you installed the mod at the same time I'd rule that one out.
2) during the restart of the game there was one or more courier sent from player to player before the restart - when this courier arrives it causes bad frame.
3) during the restart one or more players got different save file - so if someone previously crashed/disconnected or people came out of the game at different times causing them having different save file this would cause bad frame as well
4) corrupt scenario file can cause it too, I think... if there is error in unit numbering, but that shouldn't happen if you're using scenario generator..
Miko77
Miko77

risorgimento59 and bewhite like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 pm

So to prevent this.. Do you think starting the game and then shutting it down after it loads up then having everyone restart would help? Anything else we can do to prevent this? One thing for sure is it always waits until an hour or so in to freeze and give this error..

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:51 pm

You'll never be able to completely get rid of it - I think some network issues can cause it too.. but you can do the restart procedure... if it fails that means you (the host) need to play it alone for couple minutes till the next automatic save (or I think you can save it manually as well) then rename this save to defsave.sav and then send this along with your KSData.bin file to other players and continue as per restart procedure.
You may think "how can I play when game is frozen" - the thing is, that if it's just bad frame error and nothing else, then when all players exit the game, you'll be un-frozen and be able to continue like if it was single player game.
I think Kevin is not available at the moment otherwise he would provide correct advice.
Miko77
Miko77

bewhite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:12 pm

This is really good. I think this will work.. Thanks!

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Objectives in the Scenario Generator  Empty New question about the scenario generator

Post  bewhite Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:39 pm

In using the scenario generator I’ve noticed that a lot of the maps to choose from there will not work. It gives me a level not found error that I assume is a map issue. This is for both SOW Waterloo and Gettysburg. Can I do something to add maps in the scenario generator? I’d just like to use the ones that are supposed to be there like Manassas for example using SOW Gettysburg, but this happens with many of the Waterloo maps like Austria. Also, mainly for SOW Gettysburg can I add OOB to the scenario generator and how is this done? For example the ACW mod had OOB’s for 1861. Can I add this and others to the scenario generator?

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:55 pm

You can add OOBs and maps. Everything goes into the OOBs and Maps folder. For the OOBs, follow the naming convention used in the ones that are already there, i.e. the name begins with OOB_SB_KS_.

Maps are added by editing the ReplayViewerMaps.csv file. You can add maps this way. The jpgs must be 856x856. The map ini file must be named the same as what you put in column B of the csv file.

In your case, it sounds as if you do not have the map files in your version of SOWGB. If you are trying to use the WL maps in GB, you will have to copy all the map files into the maps folder of SOWGB. These files are distributed in the Maps folder of both the KS Nap Mod and the KS Supplemental Maps. These are the csv, bmp, jpg, ini and lsl files. I am not sure if they will work in GB as there is a difference in the csv file between the 2 games. GB doesn't have fortresses. The same problem will likely arise if you are trying to use GB maps in WL.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:32 pm

I’m not trying to use WL in GB and vise versa. It’s just that I’m running into this issue with both games. The maps available for selection in the scenario generator not working, but I think you covered that. If the maps are not in my version of the game it won’t work I think is the problem you’re pointing out. Can you give some guidance and how to get these maps into my version of the game. Seems like there are multiple map files.

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 pm

bewhite - I think it's that you don't have the particular map - the generator doesn't check if you got particular DLC or not... so all the maps are there available, so if you use for instance Quatre Brass but you don't have this DLC you'll get level not found error...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Okay. I have all of the DLC. The maps that I’m trying to use are the ones you guys made I think. Maps like Austria and Russia. Not specifically, but just for example. I guess my question is how do I take the maps that are in the maps and OOB’s folder that’s in the scenario generator and put them in my game?

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Some of the DLC lsl files were modified, so there is whole tricky stuff around DLC's - personally, I don't install any DLCs.. I just buy them so I can use copyrighted maps. The KS mod doesn't use DLCs except the maps... If you do want to have DLC installed you need to do something with DLC folder. I'm not sure what exactly so hopefully Kevin can explain.
Any map that is not from DLC and has "Nap" prefix, should be usable normally... there is one La Sufell (I might misspell this badly) that requires additional mod... but other than that you shouldn't have massive problems as you describe..
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 pm

The map files are in the KS Nap Mod and Supplemental maps. There are a few from the SOWGB expansion pack that require you to copy the lsl files into SOWWL. Those are some of the Gettysburg maps, Pipe Creek, Brandy Station and Chancellorsville. Just make a folder named GB lsl Files inside the Mod folder and place the lsl files in there. Other than those, you should be able to play on any of the maps. Specifically what maps are you having trouble with? Also, what version of the Scenario Generator are you using? Maps do get renamed occasionally, but those names are updated with every new release of the Scenario Generator.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 am

The scenario generator is version 1.62. The maps that I can't get to work are: For SOWGB the Manassas.jpg for sure, all of the Ant.jpg maps the 10 mile map etc. I have run into this with a couple in Waterloo maps as well.. Only example i can recall right now though is Nap_Aus_CVWest

bewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 am

For Nap_Aus_CVWest you will need to put the CVWest lsl file, (SOWGB Chancellorsvile), in a folder as I described above. For Manassas and the 10 mile map, you need to to install all those map files in SOWGB as mods. They were user add-ons created years ago. You can try finding them at the NSD forum site. You should also download the latest available version of the Scenario Generator. It's believe it's 1.65.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

bewhite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bewhite Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Okay I'll try that thanks. You all are always so helpful with this stuff. There are only 2 or 3 of us that play SOW, but this scenario generator helps a lot.. Hopefully times will coincide again soon and I can join you guys again for a WL battle. Thanks so much for your help..

B

Last edited by bewhite on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total

bewhite

Uncle Billy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm

Ask questions anytime. We're a full service modding group. Cool Hopefully you'll be able to join us soon for a game or two with any command size you like.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

bewhite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:45 pm

If you go into the file and change the requirements to 5 men to hold the objective still never lights up.

The default is GFX_Obj_Stealth under the sprite column. Change Stealth to Major and it will show up.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down