Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Fredericksburg North

3 posters

Go down

Fredericksburg North Empty Fredericksburg North

Post  palyarmerc Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 pm

An attempt at Fredericksburg North for Scourge of War:Gettysburg
Started off as flat terrain, I eventually worked out how to cobble some form of elevated landscape
Map screen is there, and the map itself is aligned North correctly. Chatham Manor, the Courthouse, Railway Station and Church are in the correct places (roughly).
I realise some of this may be available in the Chancellorville DLC but I don't own that yet.
I have taken artistic license with the Canal, Rivers & Road systems a little bit (partly because of the terrain heights)

Still a work in possible progress, just for fun, may remain unfinished, we'll see.

Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn1
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn2
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn3
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn4
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn5
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn6
Fredericksburg North Fredsbgn7

Thanks to all that post on SOWGB/WL forums about modding (Crikey, Little Powell, RebBugler et al)
None of this would have been possible without reverse engineering or by reading thru relevant posts on map modding.
(Most especially helpful was mention of adding a 'CompiledLevels' folder to NSDTools making Complile work correctly)
Special thanks to Davinci who wrote comprehensive step-by-step forum posts.

A playable version is available FredSbgNorth.zip
Contains a beginner battle OOB I got from somewhere, (with additional NoFoe - zero combat variant for previewing the map)

Should be fun for someone, if only for the unusual brown terrain (and pumpkins!)
palyarmerc
palyarmerc

Back to top Go down

Fredericksburg North Empty Re: Fredericksburg North

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 am

That looks great. Its definitely an improvement on the Norbsoft version.

Is this for the Gettysburg or Waterloo engines?

One thing our group is always interested in is conversions of Gettysburg maps to more European looking ones by replacing the buildings, some of the vegetation and some of the sounds (you don't get swampy areas full of constantly croaking frogs in Europe very much!) If that sort of project interests you please get in touch.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  palyarmerc Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 pm

The map is for Gettysburg, posted here as I was having trouble registering at Norbs.

I hand drew the height map for Fredericksburg, the TC2M version didn't convert to sowgb at all, so I started from scratch. I based the position on the TC2M version (the terrain.png) but realise I could have moved the map slightly further North to properly include the hills at Falmouth. Or even attempted a 10 mile version to cover the Southern area of the battlefield.

Now there's the question of Reb's True Ground Mod. Tested on this map, the area felt more, expansive. Don't want to place too many objects in case I decide to re-scale to that format. Provided that is a direction we all decide to go in. I'm all for it myself.

I've found making the maps is relatively easy, but I'm completely clueless as how to go about getting accurate terain height images as a starting point. After that, 5 mile, 10 mile maps should be doable for any area of Europe.
I think Garniers 400+ map pack is ideal for Waterloo games though, rather than converted Gettysburg one's where you know you are really at Antietam or such. In fact the GCM Random maps could quite easily have accurate Road & Building placements added to some of them for quick conversion to areas of Europe. Thanks to the detailed exchange between 52ndOx and Davinci I've pretty much mastered a basic technique for map making. I could probably knock one of those up for you quickly enough.
palyarmerc
palyarmerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Many thanks palyarmerc

I always enjoy playing on new SOW maps.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  palyarmerc Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks Martin, didn't want to announce I was working on something without a playable version to download
(my web host is experiencing problems this week (3/12/19) images & download should pop back up shortly)
palyarmerc
palyarmerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down