Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

The Campaign for North Africa

+6
TacCovert4
Baztanz
MJ1
Mr. Digby
Khryses
Wittmann
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Campaign for North Africa Empty The Campaign for North Africa

Post  Wittmann Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 am

Im looking for players to take part in a game of The Campaign for North Africa over Vassal. The vassal module is essentially a map that you can move pieces on, you'd have to learn the rules yourself. As a fair warning though, the game is complex, and I mean complex, beyond what most of you (I immagine) have ever played. This game is the pinnacle of realism, Italian army units need more water supplies because they are given pasta rations that need to be boiled, that complex.

I actually own the hard copy ($400 I don't regret spending) so I will have a backup to track all the moves, but vassal will be the board we can all access. While the game comes with about 300 pages of rules and charts, it is designed to be played with 10 people, so that one person only has to be responsible for a single portion of the rules. The rulebooks will be provided to everyone who joins, and I highly suggest you give it all a quick look over and evilly study your individual section. I'm looking to make one turn every week, so that's a one to two hour commitment per person per week.

In terms of roles it will be divided as follows.

CiC (Commander in Chief) - Responsible for all map wide decisions, intelligence operations, set up team meetings and overall team strategy. Will also be required to take the place of another player if they are absent for the turn for some reason (ie you need to read the whole rulebook). This is a slightly larger commitment in terms of time initially, but becomes easier as all the players start to get proficient in the rules. I'll be playing as the Axis commander, I'll need an allied commander.

Logistics Officer - In charge of all supplies not attached to a combat unit. Responsible for organizing naval convoys from England/Italy to North Africa, managing supply dumps, and moving all third line and some second line trucks. This is a difficult job as well, because this game is a war of supply more then anything, it becomes difficult to track 50 supply convoys racing all over the map, but it's also one of the most rewarding jobs.

Rear Area Commander - Responsible for taking supplies from the supply dumps to the combat units. Manage reinforcements and repair units, prisoners of war, construction, reserves, and second line trucks. Personally this is the easiest job as you're really not responsible for too many things, but you also have to be able to react to changing situations and anticipate supply needs.

Air Commander - In charge of all planes, squadron ground support units, airfields, and the planning and execution of all air missions, the rules here are a little complex by time commitment isn't too bad. You'll need to work closely with the Logistica Commander to keep your airfields and planes well supplied.

Front-Line Commander - Responsible for all combat units and the execution of they'll attacks and defensive operations. Also in charge of front line troop movements and attached supply units. Rule wise and paperwork wise it's average, you also have a pretty straightforward goal so it's a bit less stressful.

Division Commanders - If someone wants to play but not be able to commit to being constantly available, you can manage a single division and take orders from the front line commander. You're responsible for your division's attatched supply units, and your supply usage, easy job, paperwork light. The more people want to play as division commanders (after we filled the other slots) the easier the game gets.

Roster

Axis
CiC - Wittmann
Logistics -
Rear Command -
Air Command -
Frontline Command -

Allies
CiC -
Logistics -
Rear Command -
Air Command -
Frontline Command -

I want to stress again that this game is amazingly fun, highly detailed and realistic, and the greatest test of our merit as strategists we will ever find. But it is difficult, and time consuming, please make sure you can commit if you join in, but we welcome everyone, grognard to new guys!
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

The Campaign for North Africa Empty Re: The Campaign for North Africa

Post  Khryses Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm

A world of yes.

Read about this game years ago, and always wanted to give it a try - happy to take whatever role you give me, on either side.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 pm

I've never heard of Vassal. Can you give a link please? Is it this --> http://www.vassalengine.org/

Generally if you're going to run the game/umpire it, you don't take a role on one of the teams. Unless I've misunderstood you here?

I think this is in the wrong section too as its not a UK-based face-to-face game but an online one. Maybe Martin or Mark can move it to where it should be.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Wittmann Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:I've never heard of Vassal. Can you give a link please? Is it this --> http://www.vassalengine.org/

Generally if you're going to run the game/umpire it, you don't take a role on one of the teams. Unless I've misunderstood you here?

I think this is in the wrong section too as its not a UK-based face-to-face game but an online one. Maybe Martin or Mark can move it to where it should be.

Yes, that is vassal, I can give you a link to the CNA mod on BGG if you need.

This game doesn't need an actual umpire, it's not Kriegspiel, everything is done on one map, but information is primarily stored on paper, which is how it is kept secret, there's no need for an umpire.

This was the best I could do Very Happy the PC sub forum only let my pick between les grog, and SoW.
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:02 am

Hi, I have little time but if the Div Cmdr role is really light I might be able to help in the game? Can you provisionally note me down as Div Commander. If you need any forum set up let me know as you can have sub forums just for Allied or Axis if you wish.

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Baztanz Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 pm

I would be in for this, you can put me down anywhere you need a spot filled, would prefer Allied for a change as I always seem to German in these things.

Baztanz

http://www.constantine-ii.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Imagine I can hunt us up another 1 or 2 players if needed; what's your (very) preliminary roster, and can we have a look at our rules?
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:59 pm

The idea of highly detailed logistics and rear-echelon administration isn't my idea of fun. I suspect you will struggle to fill those slots and you may need to rethink the structure so that each side has a 2-man or 3-man HQ/High Command team that covers all the non-combat functions, plus an air ops player then front line formation players.

As regarding the last option, I would be very interested in playing the Italians. An armoured division such as Ariete or Centauro would be good fun; or I can play all the Italian front line ground troops.

A link to the specific module this game will utilise would be great, thanks!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Wittmann Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Axis
CiC - Wittmann
Logistics -
Rear Line -
Airforce -
Front Line - Mr. Digby

Commonwealth
CiC - Khryses
Logistics -
Rear Line -
Air force -
Front Line - Baztanz

So far that's what we have, plus one free floating division commander who we can fill in anywhere. Rule wise I'll give you a link as soon as I snag those files from my friend. I also have a good deal of the logistics out into excel documents that were given to me ages ago, I never got around to doing much with them, so you might want to give them a once over. The module is on the Campaign for North Africa page on BGG, I'll make a hyperlink as soon as I am off the iPhone and near a computer.
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:15 am

Actually I'm perfectly willing to take a logistics role - being a glutton for punishment as I am.

If anyone else is interested in taking on the 'sexier' High Command role, let me know and I'll trade down.

Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  TacCovert4 Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 am

And I'm perfectly willing to take on the Logistics, Air, or Command role for the Commonwealth forces. I've always studied Rommel kicking Wavell in the teeth....this time it would be interesting to try and pull off the Brit side without getting mauled so much.

TacCovert4

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am

Welcome aboard, Tac Smile
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Baztanz Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes welcome on board Tac and welcome to the Jolly old commonwealth.

It occurs to me that maybe we can do some inside reshuffling. I see Mr K is happy to do Logistics and Tac will do almost anything. I am happy to take on a task that requires a bit of time as I have plenty of that at the moment.

So if Tac wishes he could take over C-in-C and Mr K do Logistics, I am then available for air command if we dont get anyone with the time to spare or I am happy to remain as Front line commander.

Any ideas?

Baztanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:45 pm

I may also get one or two other ACG expats interested - at this rate we'll be filling up a team of our own.

Actually I'm looking forward to being Commonwealth, as Tac says I've (almost always) played as the Axis, and it will be refreshing having some resources.

Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Wittmann Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:36 pm

I was filling out the supply logs today (two out of many) and it reminded me how much detest I have for the man who decided to issue pasta rations in a desert, which need to be boiled, in water.... XD

Nonetheless this is filling up quickly! On a side note, does anyone have ADC2?

Also, I'm going to fill out all of the initial supply logs and then scan them, I highly recommend the frontline commanders print out thir own blank sheets and copy mine, trust me it'll be quicker then doing them by scratch. Once we fill the roster I plan on having a player meeting on team speak to answer any questions that people may have.
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Afraid not, no.

Have you looked at the BGG Vassal mod?

It's a little rudimentary, unless the rulebook you have is considerable more detailed than I expect even now Laughing
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  TacCovert4 Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm fine with taking high command....

Of course I can take the more intensive frontline role as well....or be a CnC that can come down and assist his corps commanders when necessary. I'm rather flexible. As for logistics, if k wants to take the job of bookkeeping that nightmare, good luck. Though of course I'm the fool that is taking high command without a staff, so maybe I'm the crazy one that wants to drown in lists.....

TacCovert4

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:40 pm

I would need to be supplied with all th enecessary information - rules, blank forms, any other sheets needed as I don't have any of it and had never heard of Vassal until you mentioned it.

Still waiting for the link to the relevant site you mentioned too!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Baztanz Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Yeah me too waiting for links and stuff and team speak will be an issue with me as I dont have it.

Baztanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:54 am

I don't use a mike, but as TS is free I've been using it with my SoW games and just typing my responses.

But yes, looking forward to getting my teeth into the rules once available.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  TacCovert4 Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:24 am

Me as well. Teamspeak is not a problem....question will be the issue of when, as I'm EST-US, and I know K is in Aussie Time (I think that's known as "Miller Time" in the states). My availability is more on the weekends, so if we can get a time I know I don't care if it's 3am saturday morning for me.....

I'm just waiting to get my hands around the rules and the scores of spreadsheets I'll inevitably have to work with.....

One question.....will the units be set up completely as historical, or will there be any allowances for the CnC to make small changes to Tables of Organization and Equipment?

TacCovert4

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 am

I should probably leave this one for Wittmann (since he has the rules) but I suspect it's going to be historical.

Since there isn't any (or much) fog of war (I vaguely recall reading about some false supply dumps somewhere), and the game goes for, essentially, years, I don't think there'll be a problem with being too predictable.

Wittmann, in looking at the map on Vassal I notice a lot of black lines. Are those railroads spreading across the North African hinterland, or tracks or...?
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Baztanz Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:12 am

Which module are we using in Vassel, I have looked at several North African ones and none seem to fit the game suggested.

Baztanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 am

Khryses wrote:
Wittmann, in looking at the map on Vassal I notice a lot of black lines. Are those railroads spreading across the North African hinterland, or tracks or...?
They are not railways, that's for certain. There was one north coast railway line but it was mostly useless for bringing supplies very far. El Alamein was a station on the line and the Allies used it for bringing supplies up to the front. As far as I'm aware there was no coastal railway line through Libya and Cereniaca, just the coast road.

Any lines marked must be trails.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 am

Baz, he mentioned the one in Boardgamegeek - there's one listed there, which is fairly basic but is probably usable.

Martin, I thought railroads would be a bit dramatically a-historical, but (on the primitive map I mentioned) it's not exactly clear unless I've missed a map key somewhere.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next