Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign

5 posters

Go down

Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign Empty Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign

Post  Marshal_Ney Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:11 am

Dear all,at first allow me to introduce a bit myself to you,i have been a wargamer lover from back in the 90es and enjoyed the tactical Taloonsoft games,and now i'm enjoying this nice tactical game.
I want to thank you very much for creating the KS mod,it is simply amazing and a dream come true for every Grognards like myself,thanks to your mod not only we can play the three nations that comes from the game but we can challange ourself even with the austrian and russian armies.
So allow me to say thank you for sharing this free this great project! Thank you very much to all of you who made this possible!
Now i would like to ask a question and i apologize in my total ignorance about modding this game.
I tried some of the sandbox campaigns with your nice mod and it's really enjoyable.
I was wondering if there is a way to play with the whole starting armies from your mod as well like the full french campaign one.
It would be grand to play the strategic map commanding a full army from the 1807 campaign!
I hope that you will be so kind to reply this post.
Thank you very much for everything you did and are doing for the community.
Regards.

Last edited by Marshal_Ney on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Marshal_Ney
Marshal_Ney

Back to top Go down

Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign Empty Re: Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:22 pm

First, welcome to the forum and thank you for the kind words.

As a practical matter you really can't use the entire armies from most of the OOBs. You will find that the game grinds to a halt as it tries to process all the battalions. You should be able to use the entire 1809 Italy OOB without seeing any lag. SOW was designed for corps-sized battles. Although entire armies can be used, you'll find the lag in the game will make it unplayable. I have found, using a fast computer, the limit is about 130,000-150,000 total troops.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign Empty Re: Question about KS mod and sandbox campaign

Post  Miko77 Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:22 pm

the limit is about 130,000-150,000 total troops.

I guess the limit is more on number of units/commands than troops...
if it's sprites in question you can change the sprite ratio and it wouldn't matter much if the unit is 400 or 1200 men strong since you can bring it to similar presentation on the 3D map.

AI wise (I'm guessing) the number of units and commanders matters. (I remember mitra mentioning that as he was working on AI for the stock game)

Thus I think if you scaled up to division representing a corps, you could field whole armies... the problem would be that scale discrepancy between units and terrain features would be quite big...

Mr. Digby has made such re-scaling for his 1813 campaign which then is applied as additional mod on top of KS. In theory it could be made for use in sandbox campaigns?
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:10 pm

My scaled down 1813 armies played well in the sandbox campaign and that involved 10 to 12 scaled down "corps" per side. The most common battles I found generated were division vs division using a new campaign AI created for me by Mitra.

I see no reason why the sandbox campaign can't use very very big armies on the campaign map, you just need to try and avoid battles with more than about 2 corps per side for the reasons Uncle Billy gives.

I can probably dig out my 1813 mod and the campaign AI module I have if you want to try it.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:33 pm

"I can probably dig out my 1813 mod and the campaign AI module I have if you want to try it."

Can you tell us a bit more about the campaign AI module please Diggers? In particular, what game functions does it handle?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:30 pm

It stops the AI sending huge corps everywhere and the AI now splits its corps up into divisions so the game generates lots of small battles. It works only in the Conquer the Map mode. The AI will also send units all over the map making it quite hard to beat in Conquest mode.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Marshal_Ney Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:00 am

Thank you very much for your replies,yes i tend to agree that the game itself is more suited for an army corp battle rather than an army structure,but i'm very intrigued about Mr. Digby Mod which allow the armies to split and create a more strategical variety in the sandbox campaign,could you be so kind to share your mod if you don't mind?
Regards
Marshal_Ney
Marshal_Ney

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks for explanation, Digby.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Here's the mod. Read the readme!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Marshal_Ney Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Thank you very much Sir!
Glad to know that this community is so helpful Smile
Marshal_Ney
Marshal_Ney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down