Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

hello forum

+5
Uncle Billy
Charmead
Iberalc
Martin
Sir_Iron
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

hello forum - Page 2 Empty Re: hello forum

Post  Sir_Iron Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 am

great,
i cant await getting into gameplay. more intersting it would be useing the curier system besides such an multiplayer game with real generals Very Happy.
think i have to pratice the curier system cause dont wanna make importent mistakes in an intensiv battle.

Sir_Iron

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:51 pm

think i have to pratice the curier system cause dont wanna make importent mistakes in an intensiv battle.
Why should you be any different than the rest of us? Making mistakes at critical times is what we do best. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir_Iron Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm

indeed,...
i wanted to explain that feeling familiar with the curier system in gameplay,...writing and coordinating orders.
ofcourse there will be a few mistakes besides battle, better then a lot Razz

q:i was haveing a single-player mach this afternoon,...i've noticed that some units do not follow my orders as i wish,...how can i fix it?

regards

Sir_Iron

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Uncle Billy is right though.  This style of play means you are guaranteed to make mistakes.  How could it be otherwise with true fog of war and communication lags?  

But we play for fun, so no-one will have a go at you.  And the SNAFUs are one of the things that make our battles such fun.

But for all that, join us when you feel ready  Smile .

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 pm

i've noticed that some units do not follow my orders as i wish,...how can i fix it?
To a certain extent, you can't. Your units will try to follow your orders as they interpret them, but they are influenced by what they see happening near them. For example, if you tell a brigade that is already engaged with the enemy to move somewhere, it will make a note of that. But its first priority is survival, so it will continue fighting until it feels it is safe to move. This is very frustrating for the player. However, if you give the same order to a human subordinate, you will often see the same behavior. In addition, you will likely receive a less than polite message in reply. Shocked At least the AI keeps its comments to itself.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir_Iron Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:33 am

here is another q: i have,...
yesterday i was haveing an single-player battle,..i used to command an german / preussisches cavalary regiment,...as we have arrived at the distination, i could notice that on out left flank enemy units were not far from our position.
the first think i have done,..was to send the supirior officer a message about it,..and "how to behave",..i was waiting for response a few minuts/ without any succsess to get any advises...
so i decided to engage without getting orders,...
strange: my cavalary was 200 yards away of enemy french infanterie units,..wich those infanterie units havent fired at my horses evevn they were close enough to do so,...
q: why,...a buck, AI, or what the hell.....
q: even my units wich i could command sometimes stop shorty close infront of the enemy units and returning back in a normal move to there older positon,..as if nothing had happend....

regards

Sir_Iron

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:38 am

strange: my cavalary was 200 yards away of enemy french infanterie units,..wich those infanterie units havent fired at my horses evevn they were close enough to do so,...
q: why,...a buck, AI, or what the hell.....

The maximum range of musket fire in the vanilla game is 150 yds. Kevin will tell us but I believe in the KS mod is the same. Effective range is shorter.

q: even my units wich i could command sometimes stop shorty close infront of the enemy units and returning back in a normal move to there older positon,..as if nothing had happend....

I understand you commanded cavalry, either the infantry was in square or your unit was tired/low morale, and cavalry won't charge.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 am

Also skirmishing infantry if approached by enemy will fall back, usually quite a long way, before attempting to return to their ordered position again. I often Take Command of my skirmish infantry to overcome this.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir_Iron Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:26 am

no,..there moral level and fatigue level were in good condition,...so thats while im wondering...
they only havent fullifyt there orders...,

strange: charging in full speed into infantery line formation and aborting there attack direct infront face to face of the enemy unit. hmm

regards

Sir_Iron

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Cavalry also takes into account the direction the target is facing and the size differential between them and the target. It may be that the cavalry just didn't think it would be successful. I've seen this very same behavior a number of times. It will usually force the infantry into square and become a nice target for the arty and any nearby infantry.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:05 am

Part of the fun and some what historical.

From: http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/cavalry_tactics.html#cavalrycombatincombat

There were cavalry troops who seeing danger refused to charge.

• In 1813 at Dennewitz the 2nd Uhlan Regiment (Poles) threw itself against squares of II, III and IV Battalion of 3rd East Prussian Landwehr Regiment and squares of 4th Reserve Infantry Regiment. The Prussians delivered volleys and the uhlans passed on and engaged the cavalry behind them. The uhlans were outnumbered, lost 102 men in this action and were fleeing. Marshal Ney sent orders to Westphalian Cavalry Brigade to support the Poles but the Westphalians refused. Furious Ney sent their colonel to Napoleon after "ripping off his epaulettes."

• The British 7th Hussar Regiment Queen's Own was the "embodiment of dash and panache". On June 17th at Genappe (in Belgium) Lord Uxbridge wanted to give them a "taste of glory" - the hussars charged but each charge "was not in the favor of the 7th Hussars. Finally the 7th Hussars refused to charge the French lancers." At Waterloo the hussars also didn't charge the lancers and seem that they refused to charge into the flank of cuirassiers.
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2