Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Regular Monday SOW HITS games

+8
Leffe7
MJP
kg little mac
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Grog
SolInvictus202
Martin
12 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Regular Monday SOW HITS games - Page 13 Empty Re: Regular Monday SOW HITS games

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Well according Furor Kuster they are I really think he is going of the baggage train this time.  I fear for my life in the next LBH game because I was brave enough to let this out.  Please notice the Kuster has not denied these accusations either. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri May 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Comanche denouement

Background

It is 15.00 hours on 17th April 1780.  After decades of devastating Comanche raids on New Mexico, a new governor was appointed last autumn to reorganise the Indian frontier.

He found the defences in a deplorable condition, and the Companias de Praesidio (garrison cavalry companies) under-strength, ill-trained and demoralised.  For the last several months he has worked hard to address these problems, and now feels ready to go on the offensive.

The plan is to advance onto the Llano Estacado in NW Texas, where the Comanche bands over-winter and feel safe from attack.  By moving in April, he intends to strike them before their ponies regain full strength on the spring grass.

Regular Monday SOW HITS games - Page 13 Comanc10

Special report for the Spanish Governor of New Mexico

You advanced as planned, and two days ago your force struck a large camp of the Comanche Paneteka band.  The result was an almost complete success, marred only by the fact that few prisoners were taken for interrogation.  You did discover that there were very few warriors in the camp.  This was apparently due to the fact that they were absent on a raid further south against the Pueblo settlements in your province.  You are somewhat surprised at this due to the earliness of the season.

You suspect the raiders will shortly return, and have advanced further with the intention of intercepting the murderous band.  You are now in the vicinity of the old Santiago Mission.  This and the villages in the vicinity have been deserted for many years due to the Comanche raids.  One of your captives revealed the returning raiders were due pass this way on their journey back.  

You were joined this morning by a large number of allied Jicarilla Apaches, and your combatant force now totals over 900 men, composed of the following elements:

(a) Praesidial cavalry - 300 men
6 companies organised in 2 squadrons under Don Esteban Gomez and Captain Pablo Escobar.  These are the mainstay of your army.   Their main armament is the lance.  You expect them to give an excellent account of themselves against the hostiles, as they are now well trained, their lances are longer than those of the Comanche, and they have protective stiff leather jerkins under their tunics.
They are also equipped with muskets, so most can fight dismounted if needs be.  They include your own elite Governor's Guard company however, which would never consider fighting dismounted!

(b) Volunteer cavalry - 95 men

2 companies recruited from small landowners, and organised in a small squadron under Don Enrique de Palomas.  They hate the Comanche with a passion, are well-motivated, and reasonably well-trained.  Like the Praesidial cavalry their main weapon is the lance, but they can also fight on foot with their muskets.  Don Enrique is a gentleman of great standing in the province, and is your second in command due to his social status.

(c) Infantry - 300 men

7 companies of musketeers recruited from His Most Catholic Majesty's Pueblo Indian subjects, organised in two units under Captains Alonzo Garcia and Felipe Sandoval.  The Pueblos have been terrorised by Comanche raids for almost a century, and this is their chance to set things aright.  These are newly-levied troops however, have not traditionally been trusted with firearms and you are not sure how well they will fight against a strong force of warriors.

(d) Jicarilla's - 300 men
A loosely-organised force under the celebrated Apache war-chief Jacammo Colorado.  The Apache loathe the Comanche.   They are good fighters, but are they as good as the Comanche, who have recently driven them off the southern plains?

(e) Wagon train - 125 men (non-combatants)

56 wagons under Chief Wagonmaster Paulo Arroyo organised in 5 sub-units.  Its existence is the only reason you can stay in the field, as it carries food for your men, extra ammo and - most crucial of all - fodder for your horses.  Without it, the latter would starve due to the lack of grazing at this time of year.  Protection of the train is crucial.

The Comanches

The Panetekas are believed to have 6-800 warriors at full strength, so your force outnumbers them.   But they often raid in company with other bands, and may not yet have separated.  They are famed warriors and fight with the lance and bow.  A very few have obsolete firearms and could engage at longer range.

Technical issues

All the cavalry on both sides is of the charging type.   The Comanche and Jicarilla bows are only reasonably effective at 30-50 yds.  The Spanish muskets are fairly effective at up to perhaps 100 yds, and can on occasion kill at somewhat longer ranges.

Scouting

You should feel free to scout ahead of your troops.  Officers were after all mounted on the best available horses, so could normally expect to get out of trouble, provided visibility was good.  However you should not ride closer to hostiles (or trees) than about 500 yds.  Remember too, that if you are away from your troops, they will be in extreme danger if Indians appear.

Dusk

This will be at about 17.50 hours - ie the scenario will be about 2.5 hours long.  

Before the game

A very short additional briefing will be given before the game.   I will then allow time for a brief pre-game team chat if necessary.

The KS Little Bighorn Campaign Mod

You will need the latest version of this and I will post it probably tomorrow (Saturday).  Still refining it.  It's now quite large due to the inclusion of numerous extra sprites, so please try and download it well before the game.

Number of players

I see we have 4 registered so far.  We don't need a lot for this particular game, but could certainly fit more in.  Here's the doodle again
http://doodle.com/8b54vha4veme723n

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 am

They make some nice wine out in the Llano Estacado.

http://llanowine.com/index.php
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 am

You said this would be different Martin! Looking forward to this. I do hope you remembered to alter those Sioux unit classes and take away their Winchesters.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 am

Hee hee. Time for a bit of fun at Diggers' expense clown

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat May 30, 2015 9:27 am

Soldier wrote...

They make some nice wine out in the Llano Estacado.

That's interesting Mark.  Looks like a number of varieties in several different regions.  Wow, they even produce a port! I do like wine. What's the cost and quality like?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat May 30, 2015 2:05 pm

As I recall the Mexicans were badly handled by the Comanches during the entire time they were in conflict. I fear many a Mexicano will go home with a very short haircut.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Note to self be a Comanche.

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sat May 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Martin,

I like their Merlot, $14.00 U.S. http://llanowine.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_lw.tpl&product_id=137&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30

The Port is a little pricey at $25.00 U.S. http://llanowine.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_lw.tpl&product_id=125&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat May 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks Mark. Sounds good. I wonder if it's available in the UK? I'll have a look. Bet it's more than $15. We have very high duty on alcohol Shocked

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat May 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Here is the latest version 1.4 of the Little Bighorn Campaign mod https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jhiy6x4fhgmnz9/KS%20Little%20Bighorn%20Campaign%20v1_4.zip?dl=0

For Monday’s game you will also need Crikey’s Rio Espanol Mod, which you can get here https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1v0sn5bbqqligo/Rio%20Espagnol%20Map.zip?dl=0

No other Mods required for this one. Specifically you do not need CouriersAndMaps.

Martin (J)

PS to all those playing this evening, have a good game

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 pm

so what command does one pick if one is used to civilized warfare? it seems you get a choice between peasants and Injuns.... Twisted Evil
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Sat May 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Captain Pablo Escobar, do his men get a special fatigue (white powder) bonus ?
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun May 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Well spotted Steve. All quite inadvertent of course flower

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm hearing disturbing rumours that Morsey has been conserving the lives of his men.  We shall see whether this can be sustained in today's game vs the dreaded Comanche Smile

We will aim to start the game at 20.00 UK time, but if you can, please try and get on T/S a few minutes before.  Please make sure you have downloaded the Rio Espanol Map and Little Bighorn Mods.  Before the game can you also set your vegetation at 25% in the second screen of the Options menu.

We have 5 registered on doodle, but could still fit a few more in.  Here's the doodle again
http://doodle.com/8b54vha4veme723n

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm

indeed - this isn't going the right way...

at least he sacrificed some Hussars last night against a few impregnable squares... so some part of his true self is still present...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Martin who told you these lies. LOL

Roland it was my superior handling of other peoples sons not to mention horses that keep you guys busy and you fell into the trap by El Pepe and Senor Palmer! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:53 pm

I know everyone thinks that after last night's fight... even I was of that belief during the engagement... I kept telling myself: we should have gone west... we should have gone west...

UNTIL I SAW THE REPLAY... the fight would have always ended this way... I believe we managed to extricate actually quite a few more men than I initially thought...
and if the Spanish army is short of anything it is CAVALRY Smile

nevertheless... an excellent game last night - I am sure tonight's game won't be any different!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:40 pm

so some part of his true self is still present...
A little like Smeagol being corrupted into Gollum by the darkness. Morsey's true state is to have no men left at the end of every battle but the effects of the blackness in his heart is making him want to keep a few of his preciouss men.

He can only be cleansed of this torment by throwing him repeatedly into a pit of (canister) fire.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:07 pm

I am going to have to start the one and only HITS/KS Anonymous Costa Rica Chapter and not only am I a member but I am the President!  Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm

President?  Sounds very like Generalissimo, which is only a whisker away from CinC.

Gentlemen, we may have a commander for today's game.  Bravo brave Morsey, bravo sir Cool

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Good man! Without question, I see no possibility other than complete success.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:52 pm

my apologies gentlemen - this just in: It would appear that I have received orders to report to my new command in the outer Hebrides....
unfortunatley that makes it rather impossible for me to take part in tonight's campaign....what would I have given to serve under this promising and invincible CinC...

I am off to the hairdresser...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:02 pm

You all are some very masochistic people.

Stand By to DIE!!

You wont need a Hairdresser after this afternoon!

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:07 pm

exactly why I thought I'd see one now - you know - a last ditch effort to save and support his profession...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next