Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks"

+14
Hessian
dmclean1313
Druid_ian
Richard
Tom Evans
Ike
mpegham
Martin
henridecat
MJ1
PhotonCutterTome
James Sterrett
stoffelbier
King_Rufus
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks"

Post  King_Rufus Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Some readymade "blocks", suitable for printing out on transparencies and then cutting up, have been posted down the page at http://chingfordgames1.homestead.com/kriegspiel.html

The commanders names have been designed to double up as far as possible for ACW as well as traditional Prussian battles, but there are some blank "anonymous" blocks also, which can be named according to one's own preference.

Also some naval flotilla chits here.
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty Kriegsspiel blocks from PhotonCutterStudios

Post  stoffelbier Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Folks,

This looks like the place to be: www.photoncutterstudios.com

Beautiful looking pieces !

stoffelbier

Back to top Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty Re: Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks"

Post  James Sterrett Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:59 pm

They are that nice in person, too -- I haven't managed to take photos that show them off better than Tom's, but we ran a game with them yesterday and they were great -- much appreciated by everyone.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotonCutterTome Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:05 am

James Sterrett wrote:They are that nice in person, too -- I haven't managed to take photos that show them off better than Tom's, but we ran a game with them yesterday and they were great -- much appreciated by everyone.

Very Happy Thanks for the kind words James. I now have the complete listing created, including the very small bits I was worried about going up the vent. I found a way to do those also.

Thanks you for the kind words. I am glad they were appreciated.

Tom

PhotonCutterTome

http://photoncutter.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Tom & I had a side discussion about getting better pictures of these pieces up; I will be sending him some snapshots from the game we ran last month so he can post them.

What I don't think comes through in the photos -- and certainly comes through in none of my attempts at a photo -- is how sturdy these blocks seem to be.

The image on the top isn't a sticker or a decal; the process makes it part of the block. The coating on it shrugged off some accidental ballpoint pen markup... I just wiped it off with my thumb.

The block material, HDF (high density fiberboard), isn't nearly as dense as lead, but they have real heft compared to cardboard counters.

In addition to the blocks, the various rulers came in very handy. They may not look very sexy in the photos but everybody oohs & aahs at them in person. (They are far better than the hand-scrawled or print-out rulers we used before. Smile )

Given that I like playing Kriegsspiel, but don't like painting miniatures (I still have a fair few unpainted lead blocks because, despite a crying need for more pieces, I never got round to painting them), these are a great solution. I get to skip the painting and go stright to the playing. Smile

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:44 pm

They do look great and I will be working with some club members to see what sort of order we can make for some.

I would also like to some generic modern blocks which can be used for modern KS games like WW2 / Vietnam. I need to work out what is needed and see how best we can do them. I will be in touch with Tom at some stage soon...

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Tom's put up two of the pictures I sent him, on the
http://www.photoncutterstudios.com/1894/1852.html site.

They are from a battle fought on the Metz index maps a few weeks ago.
The top one shows the umpire map, and the one at the bottom shows the Blue
main body commander's map.

At least at the scale I've got the index maps printed out, the curved
movement rulers (which were made for the Meckel map), are a
good-enough approximation of movement every 15 minutes on the Metz
index map. (If memory serves, the math actually worked out to every
16 minutes or so.)

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  henridecat Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 am

How heavy are the blocks?
henridecat
henridecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 am

Tom has kindly provided an indication of costs for UK orders:

"I am presently charging $.30 a piece. The more blocks the lower the price. Shipping would be around $6.00 - $8.00 range. It would take a lot of blocks to drive the shipping above that. A set of 9 infantry, 2 cavalry, 2 artillery and 2 exchange pieces (60 pieces in all) in red and blue with the blind set is $18.00. When we start getting into really large quantities the price comes down. If the shipping is less I charge less for it."

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't have a good scale to weigh them. This gives you numbers, which may or may not help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard -->

"...the density of hardboard is 31 lbs. or more per cubic foot (500 kg/m³) and is usually about 50-65 lbs. per cubic foot (800-1040 kg/m³). "

I, at any rate, am not using pieces that are a square meter in size. Smile

They are wood, and at the high end of the wood density range. They are definitely less dense than metal blocks; you can't put one of them on a rolling map corner or edge and expect to hold it down. However, they're a lot more dense/heavy than the cardboard counters from an Avalon Hill-style wargame.

Not sure if that helps.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotonCutterTome Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:28 pm

The weight is 1 oz (28.35 g) for 20 infantry blocks. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Tom

PhotonCutterTome

Back to top Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty Ready made blocks

Post  mpegham Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:20 pm

These blocks look great, ideal for the more cack handed ! Do the blocks come with the unit numbers on ? I am keen to order some and would like an indication of price and for postage to the UK. Do you accept paypal payments ?
All the best
Mike

mpegham

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:15 pm

mpegham wrote:These blocks look great, ideal for the more cack handed ! Do the blocks come with the unit numbers on ? I am keen to order some and would like an indication of price and for postage to the UK. Do you accept paypal payments ?
All the best
Mike

Yep, the unit numbers are on them as-shipped.

I bought them in sets such that I had all the numbered units in duplicate pairs (one for the umpire map, one for the player map), and a number of blank units equal to the total number of numbered units. (Blanks for general purpose use.)

So, to have 6 half-battalions in a brigade -- 6 pieces numbers as I Brigade, 1 through 6 --

I'd get two of each numbered block, for a total of 12 numbered blocks in two identical sets of 6; and 12 blank blocks.

On a related note, Tom did a test with a Sharpie, and found you can wipe Sharpie off the front face with alcohol. A cavalry squadron of mine bravely volunteered to undergo this procedure, and, indeed, rubbing alcohol takes dried Sharpie right off the face of these markers, with no apparent ill effects.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:17 pm

What's Sharpie, James? Some kind of pen?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:59 pm

A Sharpie is a permanent magic marker. In the US, at least, they are in the enviable but uncomfortable position of being popular enough that Sharpie is in danger of becoming a generic term instead of a brand name. Smile

These are the usual kind: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Fine_Point_Permanent_Marker.html

If it matters, I used one of these: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Chisel_Tip_Permanent_Marker.html

More info than you really wanted? Wink

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Always nice to hear from you Wink

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotonCutterTome Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:43 pm

mpegham wrote:These blocks look great, ideal for the more cack handed ! Do the blocks come with the unit numbers on ? I am keen to order some and would like an indication of price and for postage to the UK. Do you accept paypal payments ?
All the best
Mike

I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I am able to put any combination of numbers on the blocks that you could want. As James said, his blocks were broken out into battalions. Numbered I/1-6. The calvary and artillery are numbered 1 - ?. The pieces are then matched wiht a set for the Judge and blanks for the other color.

I do take paypal. Price is as Martin stated earlier. $.30 a block and $6-8 shipping.
You would have to e-mail me for my Pay-Pal info. Tome@photoncutterstudios.com.

If this is in-appropriate for me to state on the forums I do appologize to the board. As my site says, I like helping fellow gamers.

Tom

P.S. I now have another game to learn. My wife will kill me. From what I have seen so far, I am intrigued.

PhotonCutterTome

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

In my view, 'advertising' k/spiel stuff is quite appropriate Tom, so I don't think you should worry. After all we are all kriegsspielers, or would like to be. In my experience, producing attractive and functional troop blocks is the biggest practical obstical to getting into the game. And you have now solved it for us!

For the same reasons, I welcome TFL promoting their reprints of Bill Leeson's original k/spiel maps & rules here. That has been a real stimulus to take-up of the game, as folks now have everything they need for the first time.

If someone started to advertise non-k/spiel related stuff here OTOH, I would not be so comfortable (I think). But would be interested to know what others think.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty advertise

Post  stoffelbier Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am

I agree: This is the right place to promote blocks and other stuff to play KS!

stoffelbier

Back to top Go down

Post  mpegham Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks Tom
I'll contact you off list with an order.
All the best
Mike

mpegham

Back to top Go down

Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks" Empty kriegsspiel blocks arrived

Post  stoffelbier Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:08 pm

i ordered a lot of kriegsspiel blocks (PhotonCutterStudios) and now they've arrived. they look superb!
recommended to everyone!

stoffelbier

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Is Tom still doing business and producing those wonderful K-S blocks? I'm new to the joys of Kriegsspiel and while I have a copy of the 1824 rules from TFL and have satisfactory maps working up via CC3 - tactical as well as a campaign map, I am lacking appropriate pieces.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 am

Ike wrote:Is Tom still doing business and producing those wonderful K-S blocks? I'm new to the joys of Kriegsspiel and while I have a copy of the 1824 rules from TFL and have satisfactory maps working up via CC3 - tactical as well as a campaign map, I am lacking appropriate pieces.

He is, as far as I know, and at this email - tfe.evans@gmail.com

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Evans Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

Yes, I am still producing the k-s blocks. I am very glad you like them.
I have been producing and pricing whatever anybody needs via e-mail.
So far most have wanted different sets.

Jim in Milwaukee will actually be demoing to my LGS soon. I am dying to see the blocks in action.

a side note here. I love CC3. I actually demo it and sell it at GenCon here in the states. You can usually find me there.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Evans on Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sp)

Tom Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh, excellent!! Soon as I have my army lists determined - it is one of my priorities to have no more than one brigade for each side in any given battle because this campaign will be solo! - you will receive my order, sir, via email. Thank you both for the quick and informative responses. Wink I'm really looking forward to some K-S battles and campaigns.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next