Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Third Battle UPDATE

+3
MajorByrd
Mr. Digby
Father General
7 posters

Go down

Third Battle UPDATE Empty Third Battle UPDATE

Post  Father General Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 am

We're almost ready to go.

I have sent the scenario files to Digby along with details on how the scenario is supposed to be built. I built the scenario in the editor, but am a bit clueless on how to apply the map. Part of my problem is that I am absolutely slammed with work and responsibilities and preparations for things in my professional and personal life.

(Just a sec... the funeral was today? Oh snap! I guess I missed it. She was my wife for all those years...) Okay, where were we? Oh yes...

Digby is helping me with that. I know Stefan has sent some protips, but I am out of time to work on this. Hopefully I have set Digby up with everything he needs to finish building this scenario, or to rebuild it according to the specifications I provided.

In any case, the battle for Saturday is ON! It looks like 17 players at 1300 PDT. Add +4 for EDT +8 for GMT. The Doodle is open until tomorrow and could possibly change, but this is unlikely.

PLEASE MAKE SURE you have your MODS and SETTINGS all ready and that you test connect to the host BEFORE the start time. This goes especially for my fellow Americans. Let us remember those who play from across that big watery thing, whatever it's called, it's past their normal bedtime. We're looking at a 9PM start for our friends in the UK and possibly even later for those in Germany and Italy. Let's not keep them up later than they need to be. The Father General would not approve of them missing his Sunday Sermon(TM) just because they stayed up to play as union commanders.

The commanders should have their side briefings. I encourage both Sven and Kevin to email me with any and all questions they may have. There isn't a lot of intel to hand out beforehand because information is very limited in this engagement. Plus I am sadistic like that and also too lazy to write it all up.

I will post the OOBs in each subform and then I think I am done. I hope I am done. I will be AFK from Saturday-Tuesday, although I might be reachable by email for brief messages and replies. I can't promise much, as I'll be on a train and I don't know what my phone reception will be like.

Thank you all for your help and participation. Let's have a great battle. There's about 1-2 more battles to go after this one, so let's have some fun!

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Third Battle UPDATE Empty Re: Third Battle UPDATE

Post  Father General Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:11 pm

As of 7/10, Digby has assisted with the fine-tuning of the scenario. I will issue refined briefings to both sides later tonight when I get home and can compose something. That communication will be the last you can all expect from me until next week, although I'm sure I'll troll about these forums until Friday. So until then, good luck!

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Somewhere in western Maryland...

Third Battle UPDATE LD3-4L_317_OBJS

The attached map indicates the principal wagon roads in the region. These are of military importance in operating in this area where there is a lack of railroads.

The generally west-east running roads are named after local farmers and from north to south are known as:

Kelley Road
Landers Road
Meriwether Road
Foster Road
Lyde Road
Pogue Road

The south-north trail is McClerkin Road

The principal watercourse in the region is known as Trollinger Run, also after a nearby farmstead.

Union forces are generally to the east and need to hold the marked points as these are either vital communications nodes (assume minor towns at the junctions) while Meriwether Ford is of tactical importance.

The objectives must be held for a full ninety minutes with at least 350 men within 150 yards.

Reports are that Rebel forces, preceded by cavalry, are pushing from generally a western direction intent on seizing these vital locations.

The time is 6:00pm, fighting will end at 8:00pm when it grows dark.

The map is 4L_317 from Garnier's 100 Random Maps pack. You will need it for this scenario:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/62245-100-random-maps-march-29-2014

You must also use the SMALL minimaps version of Couriers & Maps mod for this battle as there is no large minimap available.

http://www.norbsoftware.com/Downloads/Mods/SmallCourierAndMaps1610.zip

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Thank you at least a hundred times Digby!

This is gonna make pre-game briefing much easier for me and Kevin both I suppose.

Well done. And I don't mean the Steak.^

P.s Would it be possible to add an extra commander for the artillery or are we gonna leave them to Divisional command? I mean at least on my side, there are gonna be more slots than players.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I have finished the scenario now and sent it off to Mitra who will host. I can still edit it though, but would prefer not to as I positioned the forces manually (I don't use Stefan's generator).

Currently the artillery is all attached at division level, so it comes under the command of the division CO. There are no separate artillery divisions.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Okaydokey
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks Digby for setting up the scenario.

Note that the corps/division/brigade structure should not be altered for a single scenario (like adding extra commanders), or the carryover would not work correct. If this would be needed, the Master OOB would have to be altered first, and then the scenario created.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Hm. I noticed that there were a whole slew of couriers in the OOB Neal sent me, a list of about 11 at the end of each corps. I removed all but one entry on each side. A couple of Union regts were so very weak I beefed them up a small amount. I may have inadvertently broken the carryover procedure. My apologies for this.

Stefan, I can send you the file to look at if it helps.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Martin

In general all oob adjustements should be made in the master oob or they are only effective in a single battle.
As long as you dont change regiments and brigades structure OR names, the carryover will still work.
If you change number of men, the casualities will be applied to the number of men from the master oob.
I cant guarantee the scenario will still work if you remove the extra couriers in the oob. I add the extra couriers in my tool because I encountered a rare bug when couriers are sent but only officers move and no troops.
KR
Stefan
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:43 pm

I can juggle the figures after the battle and reassemble the OOB into the format it was with all the extra couriers. I still have Neal's original scenario files as a backup. Then you can run that OOB through the carryover calculator.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Just a reminder to all, battle at 1300 PST, Digby is your umpire. His word is final in all things.

I'm on a train to SF. Have a good battle!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Are you wearing flowers in your hair?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm not sure I'll be meeting any "gentle people" there.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:46 pm

It seems the download link from Digby is not correct.
Please use the following link to download the Small Courier and Maps Mod 1610, if you don't have it already installed.

http://www.norbsoftware.com/Downloads/Mods/SmallCourierAndMapsMod1610.zip
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Digby wrote:I can juggle the figures after the battle and reassemble the OOB into the format it was with all the extra couriers. I still have Neal's original scenario files as a backup. Then you can run that OOB through the carryover calculator.

Neal is going to need the Game Dump after the battle.
Carryover will work:
- If you didn't change any regiment or brigade name.
- If you didn't change the OOB structure on regiment/brigade level. Like merging two brigades into one, or splitting one brigade into two...

No need to add the extra couriers AFTER the battle Smile
Either it works, or not. I suggest you start the scenario in SP and move some units around by courier to test this.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:44 pm

I didn't change any brigade names. I did alter one of the incorrect Italian Garibaldi regt name spellings but I can switch that back before applying the game dump.

I DID add some column I "NAME2" values which had been left empty and were showing a "0" on the unit toolbar.

Regt/brigade OOB structure was not altered.

It is all working in SP and MP, tests by me and Davide.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:08 am

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/battle/20738

Today's battle replay, GCM style.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 am

About the italian brigade, I changed the names in the second scenario file, giving the name of historical regiments composed in part from italian or formed by a italian colonel, they are in the same sequence of originals:

39th New York Garibaldi Guard
101th New York Reggimento Fardella
Italian Legion
85th Volontari di New York

I think is better to change the master

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm going to send Neal back the original scenario file, my edited one including those name changes Mitra, and highlight the differences. Neal can then back out the changes as he needs to run the carryover calculator.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down