Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster

+5
MajorByrd
kg little mac
Leffe7
WSH Baylor
Father General
9 posters

Go down

Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster Empty Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster

Post  Father General Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:58 am

Welcome to The Lost Division, a Kriegsspiel Community campaign featuring Scourge of War.

This post is intended to acquaint you with the basics of what to expect as we forge ahead. Since a number of you are new to kriegsspiel (KS), I’d like to give you the briefest of introductions to the game and its spirit, which lives on in campaigns like these.

The original KS was developed by the Prussian Army in the days of Fredrick the Great for the purpose of training army officers. Cadets and junior officers would be segregated into separate rooms with maps of a particular area. In a room between them would be a moderator, equipped with a master map and set of pieces. This senior officer knew the rules of the KS inside and out. The junior officers would be provided with limited, realistic information and would be expected to fight a virtual battle by passing orders to the moderator who would interpret, then process the orders on his map, then give the result.

The idea was to subject these men to the rigors of command, the fog of war and the frustration of combat in an academic setting. It was a way to train and test officers without bloodshed.

This Kriegsspiel community is based in the UK and I am a relative newcomer myself. However, they have hospitably opened their forums to those of us who play modern versions of KS on the PC. In this case, Scourge of War.

I, Neal, your will be your moderator for this campaign having designed the grand scenario for your enjoyment. The goal is to have fun while adding an immersive dimension to Scourge of War. The side commanders will have a particularly delightful time as the bulk of difficult decisions moves the story of the campaign along. The full story will be revealed at the end of the campaign so all may understand that what is to come and pass wasn’t a string of unrelated battles, but part of something larger.

I will say up front that although I will be exercising my powers to shape the campaign, it is equally winnable by both sides. It will be the choices of your commanders that determine the overall outcome of the story. Although I will manage the campaign with the authority and hand of a deity, I will endeavor to be fair and equitable. That said, understand that KS is absolutely NOT about fairness and balance, but instead realism and immersion. In war, you will face no-win situations and imbalances that can favor you as well as doom you. Luck will be your fickle mistress, and my capricious design your jealous spouse. Ah, such are the fortunes of war. You pays your money and you takes your chances.  Don’t worry, I’m not drunk on power—the Father General eschews liquor and tobacco. Just don’t expect fairness, but do expect fun.

Now some of you may not know much about my involvement in the SOW community, but I have been a player since Scourge of War came out. Heck, I played the predecessor, Manassas series. I was there for the very first public multiplayer battle, and I was there for the original community and subsequent campaign efforts, GCM excepted. Although I have taken breaks of several months between bursts of activity, I have followed the community from the start. I have also hosted campaigns with generally favorable results.

From all those campaigns, I have learned a lot. My early experiments were forays into the dark and admittedly some mistakes were made in those heady days. Armed with all this experience and bolstered by the soaring success of The Western Campaign in early 2013, I feel ready to take another step with all of you.

So, without further ado, let’s end this prattle and start the battle!

Campaign Overview:

June, 1862

An eccentric Confederate commander (Lt. Gen Matthew Neal/The Father General) leads a reinforced Confederate division into Maryland as a diversion intended to draw Union forces away from Richmond. After achieving his objective, the Father General made an inexplicable turn to the west and his division disappeared into the mountains.

Without any news for days, alarm spreads. What has become of this “Lost Division?” You will find out during the course of this campaign.

Your Commanders in Chief will be:

Union Lt. Gen. MT Georgia.
Confederate Major General (Brevet Lt. Gen) Byrd

Floaters
Grog
Steve
Digby
Stefan
Andrew
Mitra
Calpurnius
Hays
Martin
Neal

Dedicated Union Brigade commanders
Martin
Morsey
Michka (Union floater)
WJ Palmer

Dedicated Confederate brigade commanders
John Weathers
Carter
Baylor

Dedicated brigade commanders will command personal brigades.

Those of you committed to a side will have access to your side’s forums. You may get some stories, some updates and your side commander can share information with you that is exclusive to your side. You may also be asked to make some decisions that will affect your units and how they perform.

I would like to take a moment and commend all of you who are floaters. You will have only the slightest taste of the adventure, and it will be the taste of powder only. Yet by accepting either side you ensure our battles can happen on schedule and the campaign stays on track. Thank you.

My goal with this campaign, beyond a good time, is to demonstrate that campaigns are both doable and enjoyable. I hope to inspire another of you to take over my role and run a KS-style campaign of your own.

Please expect weekly games, running for 2-3 months, hopefully not more. The battles will be scaled according to the anticipated number of players. Every player should find a welcome command. Please mind the doodles which will confirm your participation for each battle. Answer them when they come across, ASAP.

Finally, my office door is always open. Send me an email if there is a question, concern, or comment.

The official email for the campaign will be: sowkscamp@gmail.com

Thanks, and good luck!

UPDATE POSTSCRIPT: If I can get the OOB situated by early next week or even this weekend, we can start strategic movements which will lead to our first battle(s). Tentatively, we're looking at Saturday, June 29 for our first battle.

Last edited by Father General on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster Empty Re: Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster

Post  Father General Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 am

This week will now be devoted to the building of the OOB. It should be the work of one evening, coming soon.

The following people need to email me at sowkscamp@gmail.com to set up their units:

Martin - U
Morsey - U
John Weathers - C
Carter - C
Baylor -C

Let me know what branch of service, the unit designations, and commander name.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster Empty Units

Post  WSH Baylor Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:43 am

Not sure what level we are playing:  Brigade, Division or ???

Believing it to be Brigade, please attach 2,4,5, 27 and 33 Virginia (First Virginia Brigade) and a couple of supporting batteries would be great!

Also, emailed.

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster Empty Re: Welcome to The Lost Division - Important information and side roster

Post  Father General Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:43 am

Thank you, Baylor.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 am

Neal,

thanks a lot for all your time you have already put into preparing this campaign, it is really appreciated.
Also a great thanks to the Lady and Baby General for letting you do this cheers
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:14 pm

You're welcome, Leffe7!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm

That's Mark. . . aka kg soldier. . . aka kg little mac. . . aka Martin Eden who will be throwing his men against that wall for Kevin and the union.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:46 pm

What damage can a bunch of rotten tomatoes do to a wall Sir?!
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Really? You've felt the wrath of Major General Martin "Goddam" Eden. Methinks you should show a little more respect to your elders.

bom 

kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:05 am

"What damage can a bunch of rotten tomatoes do to a wall Sir?!"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/assault_on_wall_street_2013/
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 am

Hah! Fantastic Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpe55 Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:35 am

Not sure if any of the GCM crowd has mentioned it, but I would be interested in this. Most likely will just act as a fill in during the battles if people are needed but can play a minor role as well. I shall preferentially lend my services to that blasted German, Byrd.

-Sharpe

Sharpe55

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:38 pm

I applaud you for this wise choice. Germany The Confederacy shall prevail.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 am

Plenty of room in Elmira Prison camp. Of course the Hairlifters will provide different accommodations.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Neal,

Thanks for all your hard work putting this together. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time & am really looking forward to participating. Sorry to be a little delayed, but I wanted to go ahead and shoot you a request for my brigade OOB for the Campaign if it isn't too late:

1st Virginia Infantry Regiment
Col. G.F. Norton

7th Virginia Infantry Regiment
Colonel Waller T. Patton

11th Virginia Infantry Regiment
Col. K. Otey

17th Virginia Infantry Regiment
Colonel Montgomery Corse

24th Virginia Infantry Regiment
Lt. Colonel Peter Hairston

Loudoun (Va.) Artillery
Captain Arthur L. Rogers

Thanks! Talk to you soon! (Also emailed)

Kris
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down