Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+31
scauispo
Volunteer
Miko77
CaptainAndrew
SJDIII
GavinP
skelos
Iriasthor
Sir_Iron
PhillWP
NY Cavalry
7thGalaxy
lecrop
kg little mac
Charmead
WJPalmer
MJP
Mark87
midgetmanifesto
ej1
SolInvictus202
Calpurnius
Iberalc
Leffe7
Martin
Ike
MajorByrd
Uncle Billy
Grog
WSH Baylor
Mr. Digby
35 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 26 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:14 pm

cheers

Last edited by Morsey on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found the map)

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Ok guys.  Looks like I'm good to go  Very Happy  

Will post some links for latest mod and the map shortly.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi guys

You only need 2 mods for today’s game.  I don’t believe the order is important, but no doubt Kevin will pipe up if I’ve got that wrong.

1. Murfeesboro Winter Map

This map is much more open than many, and the trees have lost their leaves, so kindly adjust your vegetation setting back up to 100% please.  Here is a link https://www.dropbox.com/s/kby2oer1nxvxdw3/MurfreesboroW.zip?dl=0

2. Additional ACW Flags & Sprites Mod

Have made a number of changes to better reflect cavalry’s often somewhat ineffectual contribution in a stand-up battle.  Have also made the use of defensive skirmish formations more practicable.  There are also some new sprites.  Here is a link https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3jnwsgkxaeqv20/Additional%20ACW%20flags%20%26%20sprites%20v1.48.zip?dl=0

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:36 pm

A few technical issues last night (now sorted), so we're now going to play this game today at 20.00 UK time.

All are very welcome, but please be aware that this game is not necessarily balanced in any way shape or form Smile

You also will need the mods (see earlier post)

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:45 pm

I am all set up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm

...this game is not necessarily balanced in any way shape or form...

Just like it's creator.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm

lol!

Back to top Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 26 Empty Cannot get the Flags and Sprites to in MOD Folder to show in game mods

Post  Guest Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Any ideas?

Answer had to remove the "." from the 1.48 in the MOD Folder name. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am

Yesterday’s game saw a tough fight between two mismatched armies.  The Confederate AI outnumbered the Union 17,000 to 11,000, and also had the assistance of numerous small bands of irregulars, which had at least a nuisance value.  The Union force however was better-trained, better-armed, and had the benefit of incomparable human leadership!

In test games, the AI had variously attacked each of the Union divisions, but yesterday it concentrated virtually all of its troops against Herron’s 3rd Division (Mike) in the south.  For a long while he was almost surrounded, and fought bravely against high odds, whilst the 1st and 2nd Divisions took their own sweet time in moving to his assistance.  Their attack finally gradually got underway however, overran several Reb batteries, and succeeded in re-establishing a firm link with Herron.  Several Confederate attacks were still to come but the crisis of the battle was now past.

As night fell, General Schofield (Kevin) held a hurried council of war.  Herron had been hard-hit, but was for carrying on.  The other two divisions had suffered less severely and were in reasonable shape, although most of 2nd Division’s supply train had been lost.  The general feeling was that the Rebs had suffered significantly more losses overall, and Schofield decided to remain on the battlefield, and share out the remaining rations.  This was a good decision, especially in the light of the secret Confederate objective......

Your army has been drawn from every post in Arkansas.  It is large, but it is neither well-trained or especially well-armed.  Critically, you only have enough ammo on hand for one battle.  

If you do not score a clear victory, you will be compelled to give up Little Rock and retreat SW towards Texas.  What defines a clear victory?  The Union army is believed to consist of 3 mixed divisions of infantry and cavalry.  They are deep in Confederate territory.   Crushing even one of the Union divisions would probably be enough to cause them to retreat.

Throw yourselves upon them like wolves, you Sons of the South!

As a result, Hindman's Confederates pulled back overnight towards Little Rock, and from there beat a disconsolate retreat towards Texas over the next few days.  Arkansas has been won for the Union!

Replay here https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgkcyxveuw2vmph/NetServ-01132516%20005704.zip?dl=0

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 pm

AWESOME TIME YESTERDAY!! Nice to get to game with once again MJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:17 pm

It was a most interesting situation you'd created Martin. Thanks for organising it. I was sorry to make a "user error" and inadvertently leave the game before my boys got stuck in. Well played Mike! You were surrounded and battled valiantly without any support for a long time. But serving under Kevin that tends to happen.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm

What was the user error Diggers? I only ask so I can avoid doing the same thing Embarassed

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:10 pm

It's called "dropping a piece of cheese out of the cheese and onion sandwich you are scoffing and it falls on your keyboard between the Alt and Windows keys and you press both while trying to dig it out with your fingernail that is too short". I understand its a common problem among late night gamers.

I'd suggest avoiding ham sandwiches as well and also other things that fall apart under gravity when unattended due to having to spend time manoeuvring your command, such as but not limited to, pizza and anything with salad in.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Razz

SOW - the home of haute-cuisine..........

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:33 pm

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

A few of us are getting together in T/S for an ACW game today, and all are welcome.  We will aim to start at 15.00 UK time, so please try and arrive in T/S a few minutes before.

You will need the standard KS set-up for ACW games, which is set-out here https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-acw-games-for-kriegspiel-style

If you haven't already downloaded it, you will also need the Additional ACW Flags & sprites Mod (v1.48), which you can get here https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3jnwsgkxaeqv20/Additional%20ACW%20flags%20%26%20sprites%20v1.48.zip?dl=0

You will additionally need to have purchased the Brandy Station add-on.

We will be playing coop vs the AI, and absolutely no attempt will be made to ensure a balanced scenario  What a Face .

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Schofield Pursues

Background

It is 26th April 1863.  Following their victory E of Little Rock in February, and subsequent occupation of that place, the Union army settled in to a life of ease.

The defeated Confederates straggled back towards the safety of Texas, and General Hindman was removed from command, being replaced by Sterling Price.  The new Rebel commander came from east of the Mississippi, where he has a reputation as an aggressive commander.

Earlier this month Price advanced towards Little Rock from the west, and threatened to assault the place.  This has prompted a somewhat reluctant Schofield to take the field.

Impromptu Games - Page 26 Union_13

Special report for Union at 16.00 hours

You advanced towards Price two days ago, and he pulled back west and then NW in the general direction of Texas.   You followed, and by early afternoon reached the line of the unfinished Camden-Little Rock Railroad.  The rebel army continuing to fall back ahead of you.

The situation is somewhat perplexing.   You have captured several dozen deserters from Price's Arkansas regiments, and they tell you that morale in his army is poor.   On the other hand, you are aware of his fighting reputation, and have reports that he has been reinforced from Texas.  

If he is intent on retreating to Texas, you need to press him, or he will break contact.

Dusk is around 19.00 hours.  

Your own force

This has been increased to 13,000 men with, at your request, an increased proportion of infantry.  It has been reorganised as VII Corps, but is still composed of 3 divisions.  General Blunt has taken ill, and Gorman now commands 1st Division:

1st (Kansas) Division        Gen Gorman 3 infantry bgd
2nd (Missouri) Division     Gen Huston 2 infantry, 1 cavalry bgd
3rd (Missouri) Division      Gen Herron 2 infantry, 1 cavalry bgd

The Confederate Army

The deserters have provide what you believe is a reasonable breakdown of Price's army.   Their estimates of it's strength vary widely however between 11 and 17,000.  They say Price's current HQ is at St James' Church.

Frost's  Division              Gen Frost  3 infantry  bgd
Shoup's Division             Gen Shoup  3 infantry bgd
Roane's Division             Gen Roane  2 infantry  bgd
Cavalry Division              Gen Marmadule 4 cavalry bgd

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Did you play this battle gents?

Is there a game tonight?

Martin, can you play? If you can we could do ACW or one of the mods. If not it would be good to fight on Meckel again. I haven't worn a smug smile from behind the limber line of a Russian position battery for quite some time.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:08 pm

No Russians, but I do have a scenario where we are French in one and Austrian in another.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 am

Great game last night and good to meet some new people. Miko, Gonzo, Andrew and LordJoe came along from a Steam group that plays vanilla games with Mitra and I hope you guys had a good game.

Kevin - the reworked Prairie Grove map is fantastic. You've done some really innovative work on it. All the bedraggled winter crops and stubble fields look very good and your giant bulrushes in the stream beds were - well, quite a pain in the butt! Couldn't see a thing through them! Perhaps they are a little too tall? Or are you using them to represent generic vegetation that grows along stream banks and often makes them a tangled line-of-sight block to troops?

Impromptu Games - Page 26 Nap_Aus_PG
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Should make it today!

Nice to hear of some new guys joining our weekly games.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:01 pm

It was a fun game yesterday. I couldn't really be as aggressive as I usually am with my cav but I still managed to do some good damage to the french. I really hope they add the option to manually choose the target for a charge as it's pretty infuriating to be so dependent on luck.

Hope to play again with you guys!
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Perhaps they are a little too tall? Or are you using them to represent generic vegetation that grows along stream banks and often makes them a tangled line-of-sight block to troops?
Yes, I wanted to try something other than the usual tightly packed trees. From this first test, it seems to work nicely. I too was barely able to see the enemy on the other side of the small tributary. I may substitute the cane for patches of trees on some other maps. The random maps seem a good place to start.

Our battle was a very good fight. Initially, we had a very easy time against the French and I thought I had made this too easy. Then we ran into the Bavarians and several regiments of chasseurs. They were slowly destroying Dedovich's division and our cavalry. I believed we had lost this fight. Only after reviewing the replay did I see that Martin's division had seized both river crossings and had the Bavarians nearly surrounded. A stunning victory. cheers

The new players that joined us did a very good job commanding their troops. I hope to see them again on the battlefield.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Andrew. Pleased to hear you enjoyed the game.

Here's the replay file.

You'll need Kevin's latest version of Replay Viewer to see it via that method.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e7fk5rej3yvwfz/Battle-of-Carlstein.rar?dl=0
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Any one planning a game today!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down