Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Computer Driven

+3
King_Rufus
Martin
hammurabi70
7 posters

Go down

Computer Driven Empty Computer Driven

Post  hammurabi70 Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Does anyone know of or tried games using commercial software which provide a Kriegsspiel environment? I am thinking of the two-player games that have been produced. What do people feel about them?
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Computer Driven Empty Re: Computer Driven

Post  Martin Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:28 pm

I keep planning to try a 1914 game using 'The Operational Art of War'. It's a reasonable system with a powerful editor. OOB, map, scale, turn length, weather, reinforcements, replacements, intel levels and even events can be modified.

Main downside for k/spiel is that it's not simultaneous orders then resolution, but player 1 then player 2. I don't think that's insuperable though.

Would work well for your desert war game. In fact you will find that there are several already designed among the hundreds of scenarios avai'alble.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Computer Driven Empty Kriegsspiel like hidden movement on the computer

Post  King_Rufus Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 pm

It has been suggested that GETTYSBURG - SCOURGE OF WAR - itself a later version of TAKE COMMAND - permits a multiplayer online Kriegsspiel like hidden movement experience,with even use of written messages. It is possible also that some of the board wargame engines on the web, egs. VASSAL, TZUNTZU and WARGAMEROOM.COM, permit hidden movement modules to be designed for them. Other resources on the web included BERTHIER, which is campaign management software.
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Interesting idea; any takers?
Question
hammurabi70
hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:43 pm

I bought this game recently and would definitely recommend it to kriegsspielers. Using the 'historical' difficulty setting, which among other things restricts your camera view to that of your general on horseback, means that it reproduces the limited information and chaos of the battlefield very well. Commanding a division or corps is really quite a challenge. At least I have found it so!

The screen view is much like that of the Rome Total War series. Graphically, it's perhaps a shade below the latest of that series, but it's still pretty good. Unlike those games though, this is a real attempt to model the constraints that commanders laboured under.

On the higher difficulty settings you need to send orders (and receive reports) by courier, just like in a k/spiel. There is a good deal of variety and flavour in the courier system, although I have found so far that you don't get many reports back. Others have commented on this in the game forums, and they are working on a mega patch, so hopefully this will be addressed.

It may not be an issue anyway in the multiplayer game, and I would be very keen to try this with anyone else who buys the game. Supposedly you can play with up to 10-12 per side, and the computer handling any unfilled positions.

You can download a demo here. It just includes tutorials, but the higher level ones are quite meaty.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?127278-Gettysburg-Scourge-of-War-Demo-Released

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Fascinating! Wonderful idea of limiting one's actual view and knowledge to a pre-battle briefing, your general's POV and messages received during the battle. Downloading the demo and interested in seeing how well it works. Sounds good, though and it may be worth a spin around the block. Great potential, depending upon the details.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Computer Driven Empty mohsin

Post  mohsin378 Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:48 am

Main downside for k/spiel is that it's not simultaneous orders then resolution, but player 1 then player 2. I don't think that's insuperable though.

mohsin378

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:31 pm

mohsin378 wrote:Main downside for k/spiel is that it's not simultaneous orders then resolution, but player 1 then player 2. I don't think that's insuperable though.
Hi mohsin

Welcome to the forum.  I was wondering which game you were referring to?  It doesn't really sound like either the traditional map-based k/spiel, or G/burg:SOW.  Both those run effectively in real time, and there are no turns.  In k/spiel, for example, you can take as long as you like coming up with your orders, but the game goes on regardless, and everyone else's troops will be moving, attacking etc.

I may be missing something.....which has been known to happen Very Happy 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:47 pm

mohsin's post is very odd, it's just quoting part of one of your posts Martin from higher up.

Maybe the poster's native language isn't English.

It could also be a spambot that didn't work.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Gosh you're right Diggers, so it is.  First time I've ever been quoted!

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:14 pm

You weren't quoted, you were plagiarized and taken out of context. Demand satisfaction! Mad 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down