Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

History of KS - the use of wargame miniatures as seduction aids in 1616

2 posters

Go down

History of KS - the use of wargame miniatures as seduction aids in 1616 Empty History of KS - the use of wargame miniatures as seduction aids in 1616

Post  King_Rufus Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 pm

I note that The Perfect Captain’s first class site cites an instance of miniatures gaming in 1616 from Ben Jonson's comedy 'The Devil is an Ass'.

The Devil’s dodgy advice to the gamer (or perhaps his fellow club members) unsurprisingly mixes and promotes both sex and violence:

"Get him the posturing book, and his leaden men, to set upon a table, 'gainst his mistress chance to come by, that he may draw her in, and shew her ............ battells. "

Clearly then, Jacobean wargamers did exist in 1616, though with diabolic seduction techniques like this they appear to have died out again until Laurence Sterne arrived in the eighteenth century.

King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

History of KS - the use of wargame miniatures as seduction aids in 1616 Empty Re: History of KS - the use of wargame miniatures as seduction aids in 1616

Post  Martin Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Many thanks for this titbit YRH. It's always nice to get an insight into your world Surprised .

I wonder how far back wargaming (as opposed to the more abstract chess) goes back?

The Romans certainly had board & counter games of various types, although I don't think we actually know the rules for any of their games. Based on the boards which have been found so far, there were quite a number, but they appear to be more akin to something like 9-men's Morris or checkers than anything with an explicit military flavour.

You never know with the Romans though. In some areas they were much more advanced than we normally assume, because so much of it was lost after their empire ceased to be. Occasionally stuff is found on achaeological digs and people say wow! Never suspected they had that. We didn't get that technology again until the Industrial Revolution etc. So something might yet turn-up.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down