Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time

+5
Blaugrana
kg_sspoom
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Martin
9 posters

Go down

G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time Empty G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time

Post  Martin Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Keen to play MP this coming Saturday if others would like to as well.

Have just downloaded Chancellorsville, which does look very nice, so would be happy to play on one of those maps. Or indeed on any other.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time Empty Re: G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Count me in.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time Empty Re: G/burg Saturday 17th November at 19.30 UK Time

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40 pm

We are definitely playing another HITS game today at about 19:00 UK time. We could probably delay the start to 20:00 but it being a weekend hopefully people can play sooner than in the week.

This will also DEFINITELY be on one of the Chancellorsville maps so please, only turn up if you have CV installed and working.

Thanks.

A corps vs corps level game where the entirety of one side is player controlled vs the AI might give us some new and uncommomn command problems. I'm keen to see a Corps commander only issue orders to his division commanders and so on. We may get enough players to play such a structure.

Kevin do you have the AI dialled up to its maximum level of cunning ATM?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Kevin do you have the AI dialled up to its maximum level of cunning ATM?
Of course. If we play on a CV map and get into a fight in those woods, the human side should prepare for a dose of humility.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:06 pm

If I get my yard work done Ill try to make it.
50/50
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Was hoping my replacement powerline adaptor would turn up today, but no luck. Nevertheless my connection has been very stable all day, so will have a go at playing tonight in some role which will not hurt too much if I do drop.

I saw Digby has suggested a 19.00 UK time start. Is that definite?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Was hoping my replacement powerline adaptor would turn up today, but no luck. Nevertheless my connection has been very stable all day, so will have a go at playing tonight in some role which will not hurt too much if I do drop.
Looks like we have our corps commander. Remember to think great thoughts. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:
Looks like we have our corps commander. Remember to think great thoughts. Very Happy
Hee hee. I can ride about on a horse ok. Of course if I do drop connection,you won't be able to lay a hand on all those lovely AI brigades & batteries I've been keeping in reserve.

Wasn't it Borodino where the Russian commander of the artillery reserve was killed in the battle, command arrangements broke down, and most of the guns never got engaged? Yes, I can do that!

m

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, this reserve you had was a long way in reserve! I never saw it once!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Just so you know Martin, we placed full blame for our spanking square on your shoulders. Gen. Niall kept asking, "where are those bloody reserves, where are those bloody reserves." Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Just so you know Martin, we placed full blame for our spanking square on your shoulders. Gen. Niall kept asking, "where are those bloody reserves, where are those bloody reserves." Very Happy

'Spanking'?? We scored a victory. I'll take that ...

I took my time getting to the battlefield, which made my brigade a sort of reserve...

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Victory? Niall and I both had 1 regiment able to stand in a line and one cannon. What's a defeat?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Victory? Niall and I both had 1 regiment able to stand in a line and one cannon.

A brave sacrifice for the greater good :-)

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:38 pm

General Howard, it is my pleasure to provide you with my report of the battle on the indicated date. I must say sir, that I found the ordeal thoroughly invigorating, and my division is eager for more action. Indeed, we did win a victory there.

We hit them hard to start with, then got roughed up, but managed to fall back in good order and form up again. [I've learnt some lessons about split human and AI divisions in the process, and look forward to another like that! ]

Throughout the battle, I had very little knowledge about who was on my left, or how far left of my division they were. I have since learned that General Jeff was there, but, in keeping with the rest of the line, there was much space between our divisions. When I enquired of my leftmost brigade (General Spoom), I was informed that he was also unaware of forces to his left!

General Spoom's brigade performed extremely well in wooded areas, and using walls well. His brigade inflicted many enemy casualties. My other brigade was commanded by General AI and when we initially engaged I deliberately left him in command, as I was setting up guns (those battery commanders behave if you spend enough time instructing them), and sending messages to all and yourself. Both brigades got off to a good start, and we swept forwards rapidly.

While I was bringing my batteries up to newly won higher ground, General AI got carried away. A fresh enemy division had arrived, and was sweeping over us. While General Spoom was able to adapt to this threat, General AI wasn't - but unfortunately, I didn't realise this until after he had lost several of his regiments - I had been too busy rallying broken green troops and positioning guns. Apparently, General AI is unfamiliar with the concept of falling back to a good defensive position when the need arises, and prefers to blunder on in his heroic offensive style.

It was about this time that I reprimanded General AI, and took personal charge of his Brigade. I ordered the men to fall back, but the enemy was surrounding us, and I lost a further few regiments in the withdrawal. By this stage, General Hays' division (to my right), and my own were being separated by a growing spearhead of Rebel infantry. I sent several couriers to General Spoom, giving instructions that I was moving the division right and falling back, and that he should follow, but received no reply from the good General - perhaps the Couriers were unfortunate. Eventually I rode over to General Spoom and instructed him of the urgency to pull back and for up with the rest of the division, which he then complied with.

The rest of the withdrawal went well. General Hays and myself met briefly, although the General appeared dazed, and I could get not even a peep out of him. Nevertheless, the situation had been stabilised.

Compliments Sir,

Flashman
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 am

The rest of the withdrawal went well. General Hays and myself met briefly, although the General appeared dazed, and I could get not even a peep out of him.
Perfectly natural for my beloved commander. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am

Well here’s a fine kettle of fish. We thought we had problems at New Market reconciling the 2 sides’ views of the battle result. Here, even the Union team members cannot agree among themselves whether we won or lost! All this in a game vs the AI. Excellent stuff, and a mean-fowt-fight.

All Gen Howard can say is that when he had to urgently depart for the rear to attend Gen Georgia’s latest car-boot sale, the elite XI Corps was well ahead on both points and casualties.

Am still not sure where Jeff’s 3rd Division was fighting. I spent a large part of the battle looking for it, and never found it. Rather careless of me to mislay it, I suppose. I did receive one message from them, which said they were in action against the Confederate left. Knowing Jeff and his trusty 2iC Digby as I do, I naturally assumed they were fibbing. I was therefore rather taken-aback when I accessed the in-game OOB after I dropped connection, to find that the 3rd Division had indeed been fighting, and rather successfully too.

I would be intrigued to know in which area of the field they were operating. Wherever they were, it was not where I thought I had sent them. Gen Flashman’s excellent report suggests that they were on our army’s left flank. Is that correct? I could have sworn I ordered them to our right! It would explain why I never found them, of course. Did anyone save a replay?

I think having names on the otherwise splendid Garnier random maps would help on future occasions.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

The latest versions of Garnier's random maps have names for places on the mini maps. Though I think you'll have to update the GCM Launcher to get them.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Sounds like an interesting and confusing battle. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend.

I too would like to see a replay if there is one.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:
The rest of the withdrawal went well. General Hays and myself met briefly, although the General appeared dazed, and I could get not even a peep out of him.

I’m seriously considering changing my name to Generally Dazed!
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Grog wrote:Sounds like an interesting and confusing battle. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend.

I too would like to see a replay if there is one.

Mike
Kevin has kindly emailed me a copy, which I will forward to you, Mike. It makes for fascinating viewing. Jeff's 3rd Division was indeed on our left the whole time! You could have knocked me down with a feather.......

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Hays wrote:
Uncle Billy wrote:

I’m seriously considering changing my name to Generally Dazed!
Gen Howard’s detailed final report to the War Office has not been widely released, for fear it would seriously undermine northern morale and hence the war effort (not to mention his own career). However the summary reads as follows:

"I have the honor to report a further significant victory in the glorious annals of XIth Corps, at a place as yet unknown, about 4 miles NE of somewhere else as yet unknown. Notwithstanding some very minor confusion concerning the plan, I am pleased to report that all commands fought splendidly, and that each division inflicted significantly more casualties than they suffered (which, amazingly, is actually true).

It would be invidious to single-out any one officer, when all contributed to the glorious result, but I must nevertheless pay tribute to our 1st Division under General Devens, ably supported by Brig Gen McClean and Col von Gilsa. The division at times faced very heavy odds and suffered the bulk of our casualties. However without their sacrifice, victory would not have been achieved.

Unfortunately, this searing experience has taken its toll of poor Devens, who as you know is somewhat highly-strung at the best of times. I am therefore making arrangements for him to spend a few weeks R&R at a local seminary, recommended by Brig Gen McClean. The good ladies there are apparently skilled in reviving the spirits of those under their care, no doubt with fervent prayer.

Rspctflly yrs

Oliver Howard, Maj Gen Commanding XIth Corps"

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down