Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Empty IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be?

Post  Father General Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:40 pm

We are developing our Grand Gettysburg event and want to change things up a bit. One of the suggested changes is to do an alternate history scenario where the British intervene for the Confederacy, giving them a better chance at Gettysburg.

So, the next question is, if the British had a corps with two divisions in it, what would that composition look like?

We would love for you UK fellas to drop a/some suggested OOB for us to use, which you would find enjoyable to play.

The Grand Gettysburg event should have around 32-33 players and 15-18 umpires. It will be a longer game, but we have now demonstrated the ability to process a turn in 20 minutes (10 for reports/player orders, and 10 for umpires to work).

We will open registration once we have nailed down the OOB.

The event is scheduled for late August.

Father General
Father General

Mr. Digby likes this post

Back to top Go down

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Empty Re: IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be?

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Interesting idea... here's some random thoughts.

I would look at the British OOB from the Crimean War and take something from that. Any Victoran era British expeditionary force contained mostly infantry which would have been of insanely good quality and been able to do anything. It would probably have wiped the floor with any opposing force in the Civil War through sheer discipline alone - just look at what it accomplished at the Alma. They'd have limited cavalry - very limited, probably just a brigade and it would not be very competently led but in sabre vs sabre combat it again would be extremely capable. It was however European cavalry and would not dismount, so would charge in the saddle.

Artillery would be the weakest arm and comparable to Union artillery but lesser numbers.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Father General likes this post

Back to top Go down

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Empty Re: IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be?

Post  Martin Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 pm

I think Digby is right to suggest you focus on the Crimean War.  Whist the Indian Mutiny and Abyssinian campaigns were slightly closer in time, they were very much run as 'colonial' efforts, and the British forces were structured and manned on that basis.  In the latter war, for example, about 2/3rds of the troops, and the logistical support, were from the Indian Army.  I think an expeditionary force for America would have come primarily from the UK, and have had a European war configuration.

I haven't studied the Crimean War, so cannot comment on Diggers' more detailed suggestions.  Here's a link to a Battle of Balaclava OOB though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_battle_for_the_Balaclava_campaign

Hope that helps

Martin J

Martin

Mr. Digby and Father General like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:06 am

Well, I expect to see one or both of you in command when the time comes! :-)
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:17 pm

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Active10

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:50 pm

With that dynamic duo helping the rebels the Union has nothing to worry about.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:26 am

You two should play! I am getting up at a VERY EARLY hour to make this happen for you fellows in Europe. And with our turn cycle down to 20 minutes, (sometimes less!) we can get through a whole day of battle, I think. At least, we can play to a good state.

I have James Sterrett onboard as one of the master umpires, and I have several other well-known folks coming to play. I am making a special effort to recruit social media gamers so they will promote Kriegsspiel to their fans. I am also looking for 1-2 people to serve as announcers for the livestream, so they can tell folks what is going on during the game.

We are using Digby's suggestion regarding troops. So, you will be commanding some nice units. And the pieces are going to look amazing on the 3D map we are putting together. There will be images of that posted soon.

Regardless if you play or not, please invite your gang to come play. We also need good umpires. I am planning to recruit and train 15 assistant umpires for the job. I think I have all the Master/Lead umpires I need, however the more the better.

From the response I've got, there is no question all the player slots will be filled, so you gentlemen will want to join up ASAP to reserve your seats.

Come on, give us the show! IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? 1f603
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Ok, I'm in Smile

Subject to exact date of course.  Have you firmed-up on that yet?

Martin J

PS I dont need to command British troops btw.  Apart from anything else, I almost certainly probably didn't go to the right school.  If you could use me more effectively elsewhere Marsh, that's fine.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi Neal

The idea of filling one of the announcer slots really appeals to me - is there one free still?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 pm

Alright.

Date is Saturday, August 28.

Martin, I'll probably put you in charge of the British. I'll have to see how the OOB shakes out.

Digby, yes, I will reserve an announcer slot for you. I am hoping Jim Owczarski will fill the other slot.

Anyway, you are both in. All your community has VIP status as well, so anyone who wants to umpire or play can come on board right away.

- Marshall
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:38 am

When will registration open for players?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:01 am

Just right now!

https://kriegsspiel.org/just-for-legends/

Go ahead and register. If you prefer a British command, put that in the comments to me. I took the option away from the Americans.

- Marshall

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm

This may be of interest -

British Order of Battle at the Battle of the Alma
The British Army comprised 26,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry and 60 guns
Commander in Chief: Field Marshal Lord Raglan

The Cavalry Division: General the Earl of Lucan
Troop of Royal Horse Artillery (6 guns)
Light Brigade: Major-General the Earl of Cardigan (1,000)
4th Light Dragoons
8th Hussars
11th Hussars
13th Light Dragoons
17th Lancers

First Division: the Duke of Cambridge
Two field batteries Royal Artillery (12 guns)

Guards Brigade: General Bentinck
3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards
1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards
1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards

Highland Brigade: Major General Sir Colin Campbell
42nd Highlanders
79th Highlanders
93rd Highlanders

Second Division: Lieutenant-General Sir de Lacy Evans

Third Brigade: Brigadier-General Adams
41st Regiment
47th Regiment
49th Regiment

Fourth Brigade: Brigadier-General Pennefather
30th Regiment
55th Regiment
95th Regiment

Third Division: Lieutenant-General Sir Richard England

Fifth Brigade: Brigadier-General Sir John Campbell
4th King’s Own Royal Regiment
38th Regiment
50th Regiment

Sixth Brigade: Brigade-General Eyre
1st Royal Regiment
28th Regiment
44th Regiment

Fourth Division: Major-General Sir George Cathcart
One field battery of Royal Artillery (6 guns)

Seventh Brigade: Brigadier-General Torrens
20th Regiment
21st Royal Scots Fusiliers
68th Regiment

Eighth Brigade:
46th Regiment
57th Regiment

Light Division: Lieutenant-General Sir George Brown
One troop of Royal Horse Artillery and one field battery of Royal Artillery (12 guns)
2nd Battalion the Rifle Brigade.

First Brigade (known as the Fusilier Brigade): Major-General Codrington
7th Royal Fusiliers
23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers
33rd Regiment

Second Brigade: Major-General Buller
19th Regiment
77th Regiment
88th Regiment
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:03 pm

We are trying to come up with a color scheme for the British pieces. They can be as varied as you like, and any colors you wish.

Any suggestions or preferences?

Here are the prototype pieces.
IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Uk_sup10
IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Uk_art10

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:27 pm

Red white and blue would probably be the better option. I fear the red and black has somewhat "Germany in the 1930s" overtones (to use a polite phrase!)

The UK mercantile marine flag of the Union Jack on the upper quadrant of a red field might make a good basis, with a military symbol for artillery, cavalry or infantry on the main part.

Maybe something like these?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6gpt687xpf8qus/red_ensign.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4pvnonfazgkbgv/red_ensign_inf.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5jna09vsab2i9g/red_ensign_cav.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b75ld3ao3afvd9/red_ensign_art.png

But with my rubbish graphics improved, obviously.

Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to input. Both yours and Digby's suggestions have a certain charm.

Of course all this is very much a personal preference. Mine would be simply to model the Brits on your design of Union and Confederate counters (whatever that is), but in red.

However it's not a strong feeling, and am happy to go with whatever is finally decided.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:49 pm

This is the UK roster.

I need proper ranks and noble titles for each of you, please. Martin or Digby, please feel free to fill these in for us.

British Expeditionary Force - LTG Martin James
First Division - MG Max Wright
Second Division - MG Jeff Khars

Thanks!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:55 pm

British Expeditionary Force The Royal Corps of Fixing the American Mess - Leftenant General Sir Martin James, Bart.
First Division - Major General Sir Maximillian Wrightson, KBE
Second Division - Major General Lord Jefferey Kharsairs, OBE, FRS

Fixed that for you Wink

IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? Thumb_laughs-in-british-when-in-your-empire-sun-never-sets-61501058
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Why thank you.

LOL

I will send this along to the OOB committee.

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:05 pm

When you have a minute FG, can you PM me Max and Jeff's emails please.  Don't *think* I know them, so will be good to get acquainted.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:48 am

You, gentlemen, are going to LOVE your revised OOB.

Let's say you've been spoiled by the Kriegsspiel gods. IKS Grand Gettysburg Event - British OOB - What would it be? 1f607

I'm just going to leave it at that.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:49 am

@Earl of Uxbridge - Did you get into the game? If not, Did you want to get into the game?
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Well I just hope those Shermans have the 17-pounder gun.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:39 pm

Shermans? Neal told me we were getting Centurions.

Though... maybe he meant the 79AD ones.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Hey guys, don't underestimate the gladius in a bayonet charge. Very formidable once the enemy has run out of ammunition!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next