Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Some questions regarding AI etc.

3 posters

Go down

Some questions regarding AI etc. Empty Some questions regarding AI etc.

Post  oho Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:31 am

Playing more frequently now, some questions arise, perhaps you can enlighten me:
1. Is there a Line of sight algorithm regarding buildings, and woods?
2. As the infantry in front blocks artillery, does higher position like on a hill for the artillery lift this restriction again?
3. Is the number of sprites limited? I put it to 1 sprite per person in the options and if I count on the field in 3D it is 1 per 3 soldiers. Is it possible to get 1 per 1 and do the buildings adjust to that somehow automatically (propably not)?
4. Is there a functionality to adujust the size of all buildings at once or do I have to do it for every building individually?
5. Are there more keyboards shortcuts than in the ingame help ingame and where are they listed?
6. Do you have a backlog of what changes to AI are planned in the near future?
7. When I played a scenario editor generated hunt them down scenario, there was a stalemate shortly after the armies met. The AI almost didn't attack anymore. Is that the expected behaviour?
7. When can I buy your new game ;-)?
Thanks!

oho

Back to top Go down

Some questions regarding AI etc. Empty Re: Some questions regarding AI etc.

Post  Miko77 Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:40 am

I can answer some questions

1) I'm not sure about buildings, but woods are transparent to artillery - it's game code and Kevin has no access to it. However if your unit stands IN the woods then it's protected from artillery fire.
2) I believe this restriction has been programmed by Kevin - but no, he didn't tweak line of sight thing.. it's the AI behaviour something like "don't shoot if friendly unit between artillery and the target". For me it seems that sometimes yes, higher ground helps but in majority not...

scale and sprites - I don't know

5) there is file in SoWWL folder (the same where the log file is) called keyboard.csv (if I remember correctly) and it contains all the shortcuts - you can edit this by adding new ones or amending existing ones

7) sadly AI does stupid things all the time and are hard to predict - sometimes it gets into "rage mode" and attack relentlessly... sometimes getting in contact causes AI to retreat... sometimes it just stands and takes punishment from artillery...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm

To add to what Miko wrote...
We recommend using a sprite ratio of 5:1. This is because the hard coded limit of any btn. unit size is 200 sprites. Using the recommended ratio, this would display 1000 man btns. accurately. If you reduce the ratio to 1:1 the 1000 man btn. will still only display 200 sprites. Also the size of the battle you can fight will be greatly reduced due to lag. Again, it has been found that 2 armies of ~85,000 men each, (total of 34,000 sprites) can be played with no noticeable lag in MP games.

LOS issues are tricky. The code is in the game engine and can't be modified. Building block LOS, vegetation does not. However, as Miko stated, the KS mod dose not allow arty fire into woods or heavy woods. Guns are also prohibited from firing if a friendly unit is in front of the guns, either within 150 yd. of the guns or within 150 yd. of the gun's intended target. If the guns are significantly above a friendly unit that is immediately in front of them, the guns will fire over their heads.

The next major change to the AI is a rewrite of the strategic AI, (the orders that the army and corps commander give out). This too is part of the game engine code, so it cannot be tweaked, but must be completely rewritten.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down