Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+20
Smoke Grenadiers
Boerenkool met worst
Sokowl
Baron501
Mongo
scauispo
Richard
Maximilian (Punky)
Martin
Rosaroll
risorgimento59
Zarco
Miko77
Grog
Earl of Uxbridge
DumpTruck
Vincent6691
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Charmead
24 posters

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 2 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Grog Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 am

Ehey, Sorry to hear that your internet has failed. Hope the problem has been resolved, now.
Shame you missed the game and , also, a shame that this one was not preserved as a Stream.
This is mainly because of the joy we had post game, mainly at the expense of Phil. Sorry Phil😉. As usual, he took the ribbing in good humour.
Perhaps, Miko can give an account of the day's proceedings? I sure enjoyed hearing the Commander's debrief afterwards😂
I can post the replay later, when I can access my PC.
Perhaps, someone with a talent for words could write a Bulletin? On that note, maybe this might be a fun feature which we could archive for posterity??
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 am

I think Phil earned a new sobriquet - the Pied Piper of Hameln.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm trying to think of insulting enough demotion for Phil... because horse feeding peasant doesn't feel like low enough!
Ehey - we should have stopped the game and give you the Phil's division (although it might have been too late at that point).
Anyway, if we've got less than 8 players on Friday we might try this scenario again with Pat as CinC and you probably as second in command for planning... the rest of us can shut up and follow the orders. So I'll spare you the details of our failure - my only advise - give Phil no more than battalion of Landwehr!
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Very Happy

But I refuse to have that battalion of landwehr in my division!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I believe these conclusions are unavoidable.
They say timing is everything. Phil has that in spades. I guess it just comes with being a professional musician. Twisted Evil
For Miko, it's death before dishonor. When surrounded, he could have handed over his sword but chose to die with his men instead. Very commendable. A small pile of stones has been erected where he breathed his last. Sad
Mike was ever the consummate cavalryman, sitting on a hill, contemptuously watching the infantrymen slaughter one another. To his credit, he did deign to order a battery to unlimber and throw a few cannonballs into the fray. Cool
Martin, unmatched in situational awareness, never had any idea that Miko's command no longer existed. He simply tended to his lunch by the stream while stoically bearing up to all the hubbub of the battle swirling on his flank. drunken
If ever there was a man of misfortune, it was Vince. Given a choice of 360 degrees, he chose the one that led him straight into the arms of the enemy and an isolated battle well away from the main action. A new compass is on order. Embarassed
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Misfortune probably Very Happy , but what if I have chosen to pull back and went North disobbeying Miko first orders. Maybe Phil division would not have enough space to contort istelf like an eel between two French divisions trying to seize it, and finally don't make it to Abbensburg. It was really bad luck that Kevin and I remained stuck two hours and endured 30% casualties to get this division out of the way. They had too many lancers, then I couldn't turn back and march. But I probably could have gained 15 minutes by better managing my attack to be able to arrive earlier in the North. I reached Abbensburg 1 min before the end.

By the way, I experienced really hard time ordering cavarly regiments to move forward and counter charge enemy cavalry. How you guys make it work ? Every time I TC them and order to charge they turn back before, and the first enemy square was behind enemy cavalry. Then, I don't understand why they refused to charge.

Last edited by Vincent6691 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Vince

Don't take people's comments in this thread too seriously, we all have known each other years and wind each other up terribly.

You must not TC cavalry. We deliberately disabled the option because players were exploiting it as it turns them into almost unstoppable robots. Players would TC a couple of cavalry regts and then ride around behind enemy lines causing massive destruction. Curiously enough when we changed the game code to no longer make this exploit possible these players stopped playing with our group Wink

If you TC a cavalry regt it will move AWAY from any enemy and halt and hold its ground at a reasonable distance. TC'ing cavalry is a good way to stop then going forwards into melee when you don't want them to.

So only un-TC'd cavalry regts will attack/advance/charge. You also should try to give them plenty of space to pass between your infantry units which is why I often place infantry and cavalry in columns so these units can pass gaps, then get the cavalry to change into line before charging as lines are more effective. Cavalry in columns are fine for weak targets like skirmishers and artillery but if there is enemy cavalry about I do my best to ensure my cavalry enter the melee in line.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Yes for sure, my answer wasn't serious either Laughing .

Thanks for the advices. After 2 hours, I started to understand that It works better without TC, but to my surprise because for infantry it is the opposite. Anyway, I will try like you adviced as you seems to be the cavalry expert in that group.
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Yes yes, Digby is the best cavalryman and should command it every time Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:28 pm

I am struck by Mikos comment:

“Anyway, if we've got less than 8 players on Friday we might try this scenario again with Pat as CinC and you probably as second in command for planning... the rest of us can shut up and follow the orders.”

It is a rare moment as CinC for me to witness “shut up and follow orders”

My experience has been more like:

-Ignore
-Follow and complain
-Complain and follow after being asked twice
-Follow a different order and stay quiet about it
-Second guess

And that’s just what Kevin does! Add in the rest of you and it is absolutely unmanageable!

:-). :-) :-)
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:42 pm

Well Pat, in case of Phil your options are reduced to "ignore" maybe sometimes combined with "follow different order"...
Anyway, if we play this again, you'd really have to come up with something ultra-brilliant... I found the replay of this from our previous attempt in January (Phil had the same division btw) and even though we've managed to get one objective the other one was impossible to take even in an extra hour...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:57 pm

We had troops basically at both objectives but too many enemy were still around them too close.

I feel sure there is a method to unlock a success result in this scenario, we just have to keep doing it until we find it!

Pat - basically Phil disobeyed an order to do something, chose to do something else instead and by doing #2 instead of #1 led an enemy division into Miko's rear and his command was almost wiped out. It was a manoeuvre of some style. Then the #2 option he chose didn't take the objective and added nothing to the result, so... yes, a little bit of a shambles. One of our other divisions also spent the whole battle fighting its own private war miles away but that one was mostly Miko's fault since that player followed orders!

(You see the trend here? Obey Mikos orders = you're screwed. Disobey Miko's orders = you're screwed too but you can, if lucky and possessing Phil's level of skill, screw him as well, so maybe Phil wasn't so wrong after all...)

I like cavalry because they can run fast. That's the only reason.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Kevin’s periodic mods to “fix” something ... Phil exhibiting unnatural bonding behavior with the AI ... All those couriers that gather in large groups along the river on the Smolensk map. Cavalry and infantry acting in opposite fashion when you TC them.

There is more going on here than we realize. It’s like some Napoleonic version of the movie “Tron”

Rather unnerving
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Tsk, tsk, such paranoia.
You see the trend here? Obey Mikos orders = you're screwed. Disobey Miko's orders = you're screwed too but you can, if lucky and possessing Phil's level of skill, screw him as well, so maybe Phil wasn't so wrong after all...
I think it will be a long time till we see such a deft maneuver again. One has to admire such flashes of genius. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:07 pm

It was a rare delight to watch on the replay. I've seen clumsier sleight of hand in a magician's act.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 am

It sounds like I missed a good game.  I'm not sure what Comcast was doing that had to shut down the connection specifically at 2:00 PM.  It's stabilized since then so hopefully they've solved their problems. I expect to be there Friday.

I will definitely be following closely the case in the Marshall's court against Phil.  Though it's worth saying sometimes the wild card who doesn't obey orders is just what you need.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 am

Phil for president is what I say.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:17 pm

oh Digby, you made my day... I instantly imagined Kevin's voice "Phil, you're no Jack Kennedy" Very Happy Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:17 pm

You mean like the time Kennedy-Phil went to Berlin to inspire his Division (which at this point after turning the friendly flank and leading a AI division into the rear of a friendly formation was in a big prison camp having faced court martial charges en masse) and uttered these immortal words?

“Ich bin ein Carabiner”

Followed by a Reagan-like:

“Mr Bonaparte: Knock down this tree!”

It still gives me chills
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Phil should be sent to these intellectuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlLs6tR_D8 - they know Latin and history, could maybe teach him about following orders Smile
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Its a good thing Phil never visits this forum isn't it?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:32 pm

True, he'd realise it's 24/7 open season on Phil here Very Happy or maybe he knows it and thus not reading the forum?
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 BST.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri May 01, 2020 4:42 pm

I will be there today also
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarco Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Hello, id be interested in joining. Where do you play at?

Zarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next