Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Ideas for scenarios

+2
Miko77
DumpTruck
6 posters

Go down

Ideas for scenarios Empty Ideas for scenarios

Post  DumpTruck Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am

I've been bouncing some ideas for scenarios around recently, but I lack the ability and efficacy at making scenarios to really take advantage of such ideas, and I just don't get along with spreadsheets very much.  So to that end, I figured I'd offer up some potential ideas I've had for others to take advantage of if it strikes their fancy.

The over-arching concept is that there be a way that some Kriegsspiel/Command-esque decisions could be made before the battle begins, and in a basic decision-tree kind of way, those decisions would affect the scenario that we play in some way.  In its most basic form this could be something simple like affecting a divisions starting orders with a different briefing document prepared in advance with different scouting information, or with certain stipulations of who they could talk to for the first x minutes of the match.  Or in its most complicated form these results might materialize as a different OOB, a different deployment area, a different command structure, a different map even (one with bridges, one without)?  

How many questions, who specifically is asked, and how much the answers will vary the scenario could be on a wide spectrum.  From the most simple form such as asking who ever is in command that day a question, or giving him an ultimatum, or a decision to make.  Or a more complex form in which each corps commander or division commander is given a choice and each finds themselves in their own unique circumstance.  A false decision could even be thrown in for others for the illusion of choice that only the scenario creator would know of.

• Commander Pat has become utterly turned around marching in the French countryside and his compass no longer works.  Does he take the left path, or the right path?

• A regiment of light cavalry has purchased a few barrels of ale off of a trader and are now getting drunk in the field. Do you reprimand the men and confiscate the booze for your own use or let them have their fun?

• You arrive in a wealthy town before the enemy.  Do you let the men loot it or responsibly organize a line out side of the town?

It does seem like it would be a little bit extra work in some cases, and a decent bit of extra work in other cases.  But in its easiest form it would just be writing a different briefing with different objectives or orders, perhaps making a different map with different information on it.  I'm sure I can't be the first person to have thought of something like this but I figured I'd put it out there.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Ideas for scenarios Empty Re: Ideas for scenarios

Post  Miko77 Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 pm

I like the idea, obviously that would add to the time of scenario creating which in my case is taking quite long anyway... I understand that there would be several variants of scenario and depending on answered questions on the day of the scenario being played... I think the easiest form to implement would be different starting positions as this wouldn't change OOB.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm

You can use the KS Scenario Generator to create the scenario, Ehey. It makes all the csv files. All you have to do is select the map, OOB, the composition of each side, (number of brigades and batteries in each division), place the objective(s) and push a button. If you don't like the results you can keep pushing the button until you do. The hardest part is coming up with a story line. If Pat can do it, anyone can. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Tue May 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Is there specific things to pay attention to create a playable scenario ? More specifically, do you use random or campaign settings when you create a scenario ?

I tried a bit to use your scenario generator which works pretty well, but just to be sure that I don't fall into basic traps when creating them, that we will discover only once we play. I still have plenty of time to use these days, so I could also create a few of them.
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am

I'm trying to create a multiple-option scenario as suggested by Ehey for multiplayer.
I chose the Prussia 1806 OOB using French against AI. Just asking if there is something bad about this OOB as it seems we rarely or never use it ?

Last edited by Vincent6691 on Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am

we do use it... it's just 1806 Prussians are disadvantaged in several ways, mainly by not having skirmishers (or very few)... I made PvP scenario inspired by Bailen battle using 1806 Prussians instead of Spanish - We had played it couple months ago, before you joined us. I'm sure we played vs AI not so long time ago using this OOB, too...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu May 07, 2020 12:37 pm

I like using the 1806 Prussians for the players vs AI French as it adds a bit more workload onto the player team. Playing as French against them is somewhat easier. For similar reasons I like to use the Spanish as the player side as well.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 am

I finished my 4-option scenario using French against Prussians for 7/8 players at least against AI.
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Great stuff, I look forward to playing it. Its good to have more people creating scenarios.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Wed May 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I agree wholeheartedly

At the rate we were currently going I could envision planning for an 8-player French vs Russian AI scenario on Kelheim map only to join the room finding out we were actually Austrians against French on Antietam map, reassigning our commands blindly on the fly and then popping into the game as Spanish (because Kevin changed all the commander names in the OOB) against an alternative history joint Russian/French force in a sunrise scenario, map references temporarily also inoperative, finding out when the sun rises we have our backs to a major river with the enemy on a ridgeline in front of us (having now found out the Antietam map was a blatant lie) and, due to a recent modification, Phils horse now gallops 3x faster and his mouse clicks only work in a 120-degree arc facing enemy units.

So, yeah, diversity in scenario generation is rather timely I think
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down