Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Sunday battle - CinC notes

+4
DumpTruck
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
Charmead
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sunday battle - CinC notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunday battle - CinC notes

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pm

I had several instances near Smolensk on Tuesday where someone's infantry would march through my gun line and then halt and form square right in front of them while I was trying to shoot at some enemy cavalry. Quite frustrating!

lol! , who's infantry would that be? (for the lack of woods, proximity of warm cannon barrels is a good substitute, maybe?)
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Kevin - the game mechanism that makes units surrender when they are isolated and near large numbers of enemy - can it be looked at in any way?
That's a game engine decision. It is very likely due to the cavalry wanting to retreat, but there is no clear path for them to take. As Mike said, this is almost always the result of a single unsupported regiment getting carried away.
A historic analogy would be the cavalry charge, (walk really), at Eylau. They carved a path deep into the Russian position. However, because it was so slow moving due to the deep snow, the Russians could mostly move out of the way. When the cavalry passed by, the Russians closed the gap. The cavalry was effectively trapped. It took a second charge by the guard cavalry to reopen the path and allow Murat and his troopers to escape.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm

"That's a game engine decision"

Can it be modified? Can we convert the surrender option to a retreat? Can we override the surrender option entirely?

The Eylau example isn't really relevant since the French cavalry didn't surrender. I don't think there is a logical equivalent in any Napoleonic battle - remember the cavalry in question is usually winning and winning easily, both time it happened to me in that game my regiments had racked up huge scores. Its sometimes not practical to send a whole brigade in to such an attack since our brigades are based as regiments and one often only has two such units, so that would mean committing entire brigades - everyone's cavalry would need to behave as though they were British!

Remember we also have a lot of 1-regt brigades.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:20 pm

Can it be modified? Can we convert the surrender option to a retreat? Can we override the surrender option entirely?

actually we could live with cavalry not being able to surrender, but to rout instead... the worst what would happen if cav unit is really trapped it would be cut down to zero...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm

No, no and no. It's game engine code.
Eylau is relevant. If the guard cavalry hadn't rescued them, many if not most would have been killed or captured. My point was that even a very large mass of cavalry could suffer such a fate. A single regiment charging deep into an enemy formation would be even easier to cut off and destroy. It might not surrender, but at the very least it would be completely dispersed. Whatever we choose to call it, the unit would be combat ineffective for the rest of the battle.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Okay Kevin, but in our games we never have situation like Eylau, when infantry blocks the way of retreat...
remains being over-cautious with cav and sending retreat order to them if they are going after enemy too far away from friendlies...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:01 am

... except of course when I might be doing something stupid with a cavalry unit....
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Sun May 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Glad to see this group is still together. Wish I had the free time but you know how it is once you have a young one even getting 30 min uninterrupted is challenging. Maybe someone with a fast computer could twitch stream it would be fun to watch the battles play out in real time.
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun May 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Your wish is our command...

https://mixer.com/DumpTruckGames

Now you can bounce bubby on your knee while watching us virtual generals all make idiots of ourselves.

BTW, great to see you again Baldwin. There are babysitters you know! Once a week for 4 hours would do it!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2