Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

+6
Grog
risorgimento59
Uncle Billy
DarkRob
Mr. Digby
DumpTruck
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming - Page 4 Empty Re: Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

Post  DarkRob Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:01 am

DumpTruck wrote:Indeed it tells me its partially blocked for copy right. It seems to happen to every 4th or 5th video. I don't even know what countries it's blocked in. Its presumably for the music. It might even just be a singular song.

Yep. Youtube will get you for just about anything. When I first started I got clipped for the Beethoven Menu music. It doesnt even have to be a whole song. Even a snippet of something copyrighted can get you tagged. Sometimes they will partially block it. Sometimes they use it as an excuse to slap an ad on your video. Twitch will usually just mute the audio on the offending section. Its best to just try and keep any and all music out of your videos. Im still surprised they didnt tag me for all those "La victoire est a nous" moments in my KS videos.

DarkRob

Back to top Go down

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming - Page 4 Empty Re: Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am

The curious thing though is that all classical music (pre circa 1920s) is now copyright expired, so the only copyright that can be applied is for a certain orchestra's arrangement or performance, so YT would have to tell you which performance it is, which orchestra, etc. If the music is from an in-game menu then any copyright fees are already covered.

YT really should deal with these issues from the other direction - innocent until proven guilty - and then let any alleged infringed party raise the issue and provide proof.

One of the most irritating problems is that YT are so hard to get in contact with when there are issues.

I would suggest in the interim to just stop using music. I find it a little distracting to be honest and the games sounds are much more interesting so you could do that. You can zero out the menu music entirely by changing the name of the folder its stored in.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRob Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:The curious thing though is that all classical music (pre circa 1920s) is now copyright expired, so the only copyright that can be applied is for a certain orchestra's arrangement or performance, so YT would have to tell you which performance it is, which orchestra, etc. If the music is from an in-game menu then any copyright fees are already covered.

YT really should deal with these issues from the other direction - innocent until proven guilty - and then let any alleged infringed party raise the issue and provide proof.

One of the most irritating problems is that YT are so hard to get in contact with when there are issues.

I would suggest in the interim to just stop using music. I find it a little distracting to be honest and the games sounds are much more interesting so you could do that. You can zero out the menu music entirely by changing the name of the folder its stored in.

Copyright law is uber complicated, and it varies from country to country. Just to use the Beethoven menu music as an example again, it isnt the music itself thats copyrighted, but the recorded work itself. The record label owns the publishing rights to that specific recording.

So if its used or rebroadcast without their permission they can be entitled to "royalties", especially if the rebroadcast or re-use generates income itself. Now most youtube videos of the type we do dont generate any money, but the algorithms Youtube uses to strike down copyright infringing content are automated, its just a program and it makes mistakes all the time.

One common way around this is called "licensing". Movies and video games do this all time. They license the rights to be able to use the copyrighted material in their content, usually for a fee, or a percent per re-use.

Did Norbsoft actually pay to license that particular Beethoven piece from the Publisher? I dont know, maybe, but I could just as easily see them thinking the same thing, (thats its a 200 plus year old piece of music and they were free to use it) when in fact its the recording itself thats copyrighted, not the music.

Youtube almost always airs on the side of caution. Its easier for them to just flag everything and have us hate them, than it is for them to deal with lawsuits.

DarkRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Its easier for them to just flag everything and have us hate them, than it is for them to deal with lawsuits.

I think the word "easier" should be replaced with "less costly". That's the real point.

And therein lies the root of so much malaise in our society.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Well I guess the answer is to convince Phil to perform live for us every game.

DumpTruck

risorgimento59 and Miko77 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 pm

I can sing " 'Enery the eighth" quite well after a bottle or wine. Will that help?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

wow... would bottle of buckie do?
would be great to hear your performance - maybe with Grog's help Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4