Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod

+2
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
6 posters

Go down

DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod Empty DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 pm

DarkRob, who has done a large number of videos of SOWWL has made one on the KS mod.  This first one is a tutorial on the toolbar.  His next will be on gameplay.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod Empty Re: DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Awesome, very nice. How did you hear of this?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod Empty Re: DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Part 2 of Dark Rob's KS video series is up.  It's 3 hrs long, so fast forwarding will be frequent.  However, he makes a lot of interesting comments during the arty bombardment period, (~1.5 hr. long), trying to guess why the Austrians are doing what they are doing.  I don't think he realized the Austrians had already achieved their goal and were simply building an impregnable defense while running out the clock.

His frustration with Dalesme's halfhearted attack was also instructive.  Clearly the mod manual needs more information in it.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Didz Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Watched this video yesterday having followed DarkRobs series of tutorials and guides on the standard game.

I must admit it was interesting to see him play a none scripted battle.  I was most impressed with how orderly he kept his forces, mine tend to get in a horrible mess within a few minutes of starting a scenario, probably because I choose the wrong menu tab when giving orders.  

However, the biggest difference was seeing how conservative and cautious he became once he beleived that there was no objective to seize and hold.  I'm used to seeing him push aggressively onto an objective at pretty much any cost and hold it despite the losses, but because the KS scenario's don't emphasize the importance of the objective with a point score he just seemed to forget about it, even though he had clearly been ordered to take it.  In fact, I'm not even sure he knew where it was, presumably because he didn't want to ruin immersion by checking where he was on the map.

Having said that I was equally confused as to why Dalesme's attack wasn't more aggressive, but only because DrakRob had set his stance to 'All Out Attack' and I thought that would cause the division to react more rashly to enemies at a longer reaction distance.  I tend to avoid using that stance as it seems to cause my troops to get themselves massacred.

My own assumption at the time was that the close proximity of the Austrian Cavalry was causing Dalesme to hold off until they were neutralised.  But that's only because that's what I would have expected to happen had a similar situation occured during a tabletop wargame.  Using the WGRG rules cavalry always have a calming effect over nearby infantry, either forcing them into squares or preventing them from advancing any closer.  So, I was wondering why DarkRob wasn't doing anything to neutralise the threat posed by the cavalry so that his infantry could advance.  But then the Austrian's weren't really using their cavalry very effectively either, and they seemed to do nothing to support their infantry attackes at all.

As it happened when Darlrob's cavalry did advance he sent them to attempt a frontal assault on the enemy infantry which merely froze the entire tactical situation even more firmly by pinning the Austrian infantry in place like his own.
Didz
Didz

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:01 pm

I gave my interpretation of what was going on and why in the comment section of the video. He played the wrong side, so the AI, (Austrians), did all they were tasked with doing, which was to take and hold the objective. Had he played that side, the objective would not matter since he was tasked with destroying the barbarian Bavarians. If you are interested, it was KSAustrianScenario5.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRob Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi Guys. Im sorry, I didn't know that a thread had been made on my videos here or I would have been more active in posting here about it.

A couple of things I do want to clarify here. The first thing Il say, and that I said in both videos, is that I am no expert in playing the KS mod. My area of expertise is in playing the stock game. And even though I know the KS mod is very different from the stock game, my views, tactics, and strategies will probably always, even unconsciously, be influenced by the stock game.

That's because Im not a historian, Im a video game player. When SOW Waterloo came out 3 years ago, I knew virtually nothing about Napoleonic warfare, or the battlefield tactics and strategies it employed. I was an American Civil War guy and I loved the ACW Scourge of War games. I wasn't even especially excited that SOW was moving to the Napoleonic era. At the time I was hoping of course for another civil war battle.

Nevertheless, SOW Waterloo was still a Scourge of War game, and that point(and still now) Norbsoft had never released a game I didn't like. So I got it just based on the fact that it was still a Scourge of War game and Norbsofts past track record with me.

I did not fall in love with it instantly, and at first I had no idea what I was doing. But my past experience with the civil war SOW games had taught me there is always a way to win, and so I stuck with it. I stuck with it for years, learning everything I could about how things work in game. I would study what the AI would do and how the enemy AI would respond and look for consistencies and inconsistencies to see what appeared to work, and what didn't work, and then look for ways to improve those things. Eventually I mastered the game and developed the best and most efficient techniques for beating every scenario in the game.

Did that mean I was now a great Napoleonic commander? Of course not. Did that mean I was now an expert on Napoleonic battlefield tactics? No. It only means I knew a lot about what tactics and strategies work best for that particular game. If the game itself did not truly represent what historic Napoleonic battles were like, then my tactics and strategies wouldn't either. Again, Im no historian, Im a video game player. I didn't know how things were actually supposed to be, I only knew how they were in the game.

Why this little history lesson? Well when I started my youtube channel on SOW Waterloo, I really wanted to share all I had learned about the game with other players. At the time there wasn't any other channel on youtube doing anything like what I was going to do. I didn't know if anyone would care, or if the game even had enough of a following to matter.

To my great surprise, the channel began to grow. Very slowly at first, but later I began to see growth spurts. Eventually after more than a year the channel has gained nearly 200 subscribers and over 25,000 views. That's not a lot by youtube standards, but for a channel dedicated to single, very niche game, I think its pretty impressive. And most of all it showed me that there is a player base for this game. Quiet though they may be.

All through the video series on the stock game there were always a few people who would ask me about the KS mod, did I play it? Was I ever going to do a video on it? etc etc. I shy'd away from these questions for a long time because I knew I really wasn't the right guy to do a video on the KS mod. I knew it, I had it, and I played it. But I wasn't an expert on it. Certainly nowhere even remotely close to what I knew about the stock game.

But I did like the KS mod, and to my astonishment, when I looked for videos on youtube about the KS mod to point my viewers to, there wasn't much to find. Miko's Strategy was about the only channel I could find with KS mod gameplay on it. And his video's aren't really that accessible to watch. They are only gameplay videos, with no commentary or explanations as to what is happening and why.

On my own channel, I was beginning to run out of steam. Not in terms of the channel growing, but in terms of what I had left to put into it. My main series was done. Everything I knew about the stock game was already up there. I put up some HITS playthroughs of some of the stock scenarios every now and then, but basically at this point, the channel had run its course. It was time to either call it a day, or do something on the KS mod.

I still knew I wasn't the right guy to do it, but I did now have the right channel. With nearly 200 subscribers I thought at the very least I could draw a bigger amount of attention to the KS mod. Maybe it didn't matter how well I did? Maybe all I had to do was make it look good to get even just a few people interested. Because, more than anything else, Ive always wanted to support Scourge of War in any way I could. I wanted to show people it was a good game, and hopefully bring more attention to it. And if no one else was going to do a vid on the KS mod, it might as well be me.

And it was with that mindset that I went into doing a video on the KS mod. I admit, I made a lot of mistakes. I didn't realize it mattered which side I played. The stock game only lets you play the side and the officer you are supposed to play in the scenario. And since I could select either side in the KS scenarios I figured it didn't matter(I see now in the scenario description that it does say that the scenarios are meant to be played from a specific side)

I also didn't realize the objective was meant to be contested much more like in the stock game, where its an actual spot on the ground you are meant to occupy. Since the objective isn't even visible in game, but just as a spot on the map, I thought it was just meant to tell you what general area on the map to head for. Since its not visible in game, and not worth any points itself, I didn't accord it any real importance(again, a case of my views being filtered through the stock game, no points, no worth)

When I arrived, and scouted the French position, they occupied a range of high hills in what looked like a strong defensive position on the right most parts of the line. Only the French left seemed vulnerable to me as it terminated abruptly and the Austrians appeared to gathering their strength on that part of the line.

I decided to deploy on the left to lengthen the French line, and I set up somewhat further away to give my division time, and room to setup. I brought my guns forward to begin shelling the enemy(I thought the guns did a great job in racking up the hits) and I was really waiting for the Austrians to push this lone stubborn French battalion in my front out of the way and began pushing forward. I didn't understand why the Austrians were not pushing home their attack, but just seemed to stall.

Obviously, I didn't realize I was playing the wrong side, nor did I realize the Austrians had actually accomplished what they were supposed to do before my division had even arrived on the field.

So the action stalled, but my guns were continuing to rack up huge numbers of casualties, and so my division was continuing to rack up points. With the actual position of the objective not visible, and the French appeared to be holding their position, I thought we were doing ok.

In the video, shortly before I sent in Dalesme's brigade I did mention that if this wasn't being done for a youtube video, I probably would not have sent in the infantry at all. I waited a long time for the Austrians to push that one French battalion out of the way and then I wanted to hit them with Dalesme's brigade once they had been lured further forward away from their cavalry and artillery support. But the Austrians never made another move(Of course, now I know why)

I sent in the infantry just because I wanted an infantry assault for the video, not because I thought it was a really good idea. In the stock game officers don't refuse to follow orders like that. They might get mauled and smashed. But as long as you give them an attack stance, they will do the best they can given the circumstances and their own abilities.
So I really hadn't seen that before. I wasn't so much frustrated as just confused. I also only called them chickens to try and interject some humor to the situation, it was not meant as a criticism of the mod.
Infact, I made it a point to say I wasn't criticizing the mod in the video because it was quite possible that something else was going on that I wasn't aware of. This is why I was asking for some explanation of what was happening.

I also didn't understand why units were staying in assault column to fire. Again, if I was more of historian I might have known this, but Im not, Im just a video gamer, and in the stock game units always form line to fire. Now, the stock game might be wrong, but its what I knew.

Likewise, the same with the cavalry. I didn't realize their command styles no longer matched up with the game and that's why they wouldn't have attacked. Im no programmer, there is no way I could have known that.

In the end I was just trying to send forces forward just to get them to do something, anything interesting for the sake of the video.

My assessment at the end of the video as to who won or not was, again, through the lens of what I would call a victory or defeat in the stock game. I couldn't really tell who had control of the objective because it isn't visible. I thought it might have been somewhere between the French and Austrian lines on the right? But I didn't accord it a lot of value because the French certainly hadn't been pushed back by a large degree. So I went by points, and certainly the French did far better in that regard. So in my own stock game mind it seemed like a French victory.

Uncle Billy says its an Austrian victory because they took the objective, regardless of the casualties they took. Im fine with that because it would be the height of arrogance on my part to argue with the designer about how to play his own game. You guys are the experts here, not me. And really it should be you guys making videos for the KS mod, not me.

That said, I only had the best of intentions here. I wanted to show off the mod, and make it look good to hopefully bring it to more peoples attention and maybe get some more interest generated for it. I was only trying to help.

The two videos have gotten almost 400 views between them so far in just a few days, so at the very least, that's a lot of people who might not have known about the KS mod before, that now do. I don't think I made the KS mod look bad, I just made some honest mistakes(not the least of which was playing the wrong side lol)

Hopefully when I have the time Il take another crack at it and do better(and play the right side). Maybe Il be the corps commander so I can have control over all the troops and just issue divisional orders and see how it plays out?

Anyway guys, sorry for the long essay post. I just wanted you guys to know I was only trying to demonstrate the KS mod for my viewers and make it look good. And anything that went wrong can surely be laid at my feet as I fully admit I don't know the mechanics of how the mod works as well as I should.

DarkRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

There is nothing to apologize for, I think you did a good job in the battle, given that there were a number of issues you weren't aware of. I've already added several new items to the mod manual as a result.
A number of us play several times a week. As such, we take for granted quite a bit that would be opaque and baffling to someone new to the mod. The questions and observations you make in the videos are very helpful. They show where more explanation is needed.
The scenarios are all unscripted and were all designed to be played by humans from a certain side. A map objective may or may not be important for the human side. The scenario description will let you know. However, in general, they are important for the AI side, as it requires a point(s) to concentrate on. These scenarios were made with the intention that each division should be commanded by a human. So if you wish to play them solo, it is best to take the corps command so you can order each division to certain locations and give them proper stances. Then you can choose a particular division to command in person. Just TC that division commander so he doesn't get in the way. You'll need to ride over to the other divisions from time to time to make sure they are doing what you had intended and give them new orders if necessary.
Keep going with your series. I'm sure your next battle will go much smoother. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:06 pm

The newest version of the mod has been posted for less than 12 hrs. and DarkRob already has a video up about it.  He planning to do a play through of one of the new scenarios.  As I recall, it's not an easy one and we had to play it 2 or 3 times before we beat it.  He can't be faulted for lack of bravery. Popcorn will be in order while watching, I think. affraid
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:02 pm

DarkRob's plan for the forthcoming KS battle is up.  It is perfection itself!  cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Taking that hill is going to make capturing the Grand Redoubt look like a walk in the Park.

I remember playing a similar scenario on this map a few months. I was in charge without a troop command. I think Pat went up centre, Kevin and Phil took the hill from the West and Mike did a wide flank march east to another objective there.

This one looks even harder but at least he does not need to defend a LOC objective.

Good luck, DarkRob
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm

The Battle for Richwol is up.  DarkRob did very well considering he was fighting it solo.  There were no tactical blunders but his mis-identification of the Prussian cavalry was good for a chuckle.  As I recall, his plan of attack was very similar to our first attempt at this battle.  His Morand did much better in crossing the Warta than ours.  Ours used the, 'Let's hide in the woods and hope those mean Cossacks won't hurt us' defense. Embarassed
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRob Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 am

(Copied from my reply to Uncle Billy in the video comments, I thought id post it here to)

The Russians were tough, very tough, and the AI handled them well. Nevertheless, I feel my two divisions of Morand and Friant fought really hard in trying to claw their way up the hill, but the Russians fought hard and made us fight hard for every inch of ground we took.

I figured out early on that Gudin's attack up the west side of the hill would be the key, and its my own fault entirely for botching that attack. I sent Gudin forward while he was still TC'd.(A rookie mistake if ever there was one, even in the stock game I know better than that) I really just forgot that I had TC'd him before so his division would form up but not do anything else while I was on the other side of the field. I meant to come back and take him off TC when I sent his division forward, but just forgot he was TC'd once I got back(I had a lot on my mind at the time lol)

And then of course I wasted a lot of time thinking the Prussian cavalry was actually enemy cavalry and even trying to shoot them with my artillery. Luckily, my artillerymen realized I was being an idiot and so didn't actually fire on them. I should have realized something wasn't right when I had to TC the battery commander to even get his guns over there in the first place, or the fact that my own infantry was sitting right by them. But my brain was being over taxed by that point.

Even more amazing was that I was somehow able to retrieve Gudin while he was TC'd and that he didn't get killed in the process. Once I got Gudin back and took him off TC I feel he launched as strong an attack as he could have been expected to given how strongly the Russians had entrenched themselves on the hill by that time. But I think that if I hadn't messed that up,  given the strength of Gudin's attack once I finally got him back, that if I had sent him forward properly when I first intended to, his attack would have had a good chance of succeeding.

When I first wanted to send his division forward, the Russian position on top of the hill didn't look anywhere near as strong as it was when I finally did get Gudin going. Had I not botched it, I think Gudin would have taken the hill and cut off the Russian forces to the north that were fighting Morand and Friant. Morand and Friant would probably have then been able to defeat the forces in front of them and push up onto the hill to link up with Gudin.

But credit to the Russian AI, it took full advantage of my screw up and tanked down hard on the objective so that it was to strong for Gudin alone to take once I did finally get him going, (though again, I feel Gudin still gave it as good a shot as could be expected given the strength of the Russian position at that point.)

All in all, I cannot fault my division commanders. They all made a good fight of it, and if not for a few screw-ups on my part I think their attack had a good chance of succeeding, particularly if I had launched Gudin's attack properly when I initially intended. They were squarely on the Russian flank and that hill appeared much more lightly defended as the Russians seemed to have stripped a lot of their infantry from the hill to send forward against Morand and Friant. Gudin could have taken the hill and cut those Russian forces off if I hadn't have messed it all up by sending him forward while still TC'd.

I could have won, but Im also the reason we lost.

DarkRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

It would likely take more than Gudin to knock the Russian guard off that hill, however, it is certainly worth replaying to find out. Once you get the attack across the Warta rolling, you could take personal command of Gudin's division and lead it to glory, storming that hill. cheers

By the way, if you play the scenario in MP, where you are the only player, you won't have to worry about dying. You'll respawn at the army commander's location. That way you can get closer to the action without worry. I think you'd have had an easier time seeing what was going on and deciding where the brigades should attack/defend if you were closer to the fighting.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  IkerBilly Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi all
Can someone tell me the name of the maps available for single player ???.
I usually watch videos and I notice that there are several maps that do not come out when I play in the sandbox.
As always, many thanks!

IkerBilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm

All the maps that begin with a country name are part of the KS mod. There are quite a few more than 40. A few require you to copy the map.lsl files from SOWGB.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  IkerBilly Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 am

Ahhhh Ok, Thank You !!

IkerBilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down