Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Discussion on Formations

3 posters

Go down

Discussion on Formations Empty Discussion on Formations

Post  Grog Sun May 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Kevin/Guys

Food for thought

Can we have a look at the formations/drills because, it seems that since we included the Column of Regiments formation, some of the other Inf brigade have become incompatible.
Switching to both Double Line or Skirmish formation will cause the battalions to switch over and march diagonally to their new position,presumably because the battalion numbering sequence in the Drills is now different. Could we try to standardise the sequence?

Whilst I like the 3 battalion frontage in the Column of Regiments formation, and am happy for the AI to use this predominantly, it would be good to have some good alternatives fro the Human player.

I also find it hard to position my battalions where I want them due to the Brigadier being way back from the front line. I'm sure this helps him stay safe when attacking but when in defense or if just deploying, it is much easier to have him up front with the line. This is particularly evident when trying to set up a defensive line on a ridge or behind a river, or even the edge of a wood.

There are some other things but I wondered what peoples thoughts and experiences are here?

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Discussion on Formations Empty Re: Discussion on Formations

Post  Mr. Digby Sun May 20, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree that having the brigade commander mark where the centre front of the brigade will be is a useful guide. You only really need this in defence, as Grog says. In attack he can be behind the first or even second line of battalions.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun May 20, 2018 4:11 pm

It's probably time to look at how the brigades transition from one formation to another. However, there will be some battalions jostling about whenever skirmishers are deployed as that opens a hole in the formation.

I agree the brigade commander in the middle of the formation is not ideal, but due to the limitations of how formations are constructed via the csv file, he has to be there. The idea is to have the supporting battalions, (2nd line), be well back from the front line. This keeps them from being fired upon by enemy guns and more importantly, it decreases the general chaos of all the battalions trying to move and engage the enemy at once. Even with this in place, the game engine sometimes spoils things by sending all units to the front line, but it has noticeably reduced this problem.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks

There is much more than jostling about with the present formation transitions. They cross right over from left to right and vice versa.

Yes I was mainly talking about formations that we could use for defence.

Being able to pick the frontage of your brigade would be the key factor. 1, 2 , 3 or 4 battalions/cavalry regiments.

There are plenty of formations in the stock game or Randy's Mod, where the Brigade commander is close to the front.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down