Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808

2 posters

Go down

12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808 Empty 12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 pm

This is a small fight, but again quite unusual in that it pits a very small but very high quality French force against a larger but poorer drilled Spanish force that must attack across a defended stream.

No Doodle as it's this weekend and probably Saturday, with Sesena being Sunday.

12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808 Navalcamero_02

Crampton's Gap map so you must have the Antietam add-on pack to play. The map is oriented normally, north to the top. The blue river is the Guadarrama which flows south and it's uncrossable except at the points shown where roads cross it. There are a total of seven of these: 1) west of Tancos; 2 & 3) At Punhete/Navalcamero; 4) south-west of San Luza; 5) west of Villa de Axeda; 6) south-west of Almerim; 7) east of Marta. The town of Punhete is Navalcamero. We can use all the other names as is, since they're Spanish.

The road from Talavera crosses from the west over a shoulder of high ground that is one of the foothills of the mountains to the NW of Madrid, passing via Azambuja and Trenies. The road then crosses the Guadarrama at Navalcamero before exiting the east map edge in a north-easterly direction on the way to Madrid.

The Spanish objective is to push across the Guadarrama and exit off the east map edge along this main road. Disabling or destroying the French blocking their path is a secondary objective.

The French must prevent the Spanish continuing east to the capital.

The defence is commanded by none other than King Joseph himself. I will invoke a special political rule if he is killed or captured! I will consider him killed or captured (25/75 chance) if his avatar is killed by an enemy unit and he'll be captured if he is with a friendly unit when it surrenders!

The attacking force are elements of el Conde de Belvedere's Army of Extramadura.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808 Empty Re: 12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 am

Official report:

The Spanish were completely defeated at this battle. At the end of the fight almost their entire army was in rout or taken prisoner. All 18 of their guns were captured along with 3 colours. Of a strength of 12 battalions and 6 squadrons in the two Spanish divisions, only 4 battalions of van Koerten's division survived unbroken at the end, making a fighting retreat down the Talavera road. All of Henestrosa's division was routed or captured and he as well as both his brigade generals and two artillery commanders were wounded or taken prisoner.

French losses were minimal - for example the 196 strong squadron of Grenadiers a Cheval de la Garde ended the battle 195 strong and racked up a score of almost 1100 points. This example sums up this terrible defeat for the Spanish, possibly the worst they have suffered.

King Joseph has shown himself to be a cool commander in the field, though it's said he did nothing but eat grapes handed up to him by a servant while the battle raged nearby. His division and brigade commanders, Dorsenne, Friedrichs and Lepic apparently did all the work.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808 Empty Re: 12. Battle of Navalcamero - 23rd August 1808

Post  Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:21 pm

The sad thing about this battle is that it was my Army and I could not play because I did not have the map. So much for that.

Kind of disheartening for me to find this out today. Just put a bunch of cold water dumped on this campaign for me.

Not that it would have effected the out come of the battle but after all the time I spent I could not play in the battle they were in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Mike, buy the add-on map packs, they are all worth it. I use them all a lot in campaign games so if you don't have them, you'll only be missing out on other battles.

In fact the campaign is suffering because players don't have these maps - so get them, support Norb financially, support the campaign and enjoy the MP games.

Don't be disheartened, Mike. Having you there would have made no difference at all, the French guard are a very strong unit; they are small though, so any losses inflicted on them will hurt them. One battalion and 2 squadrons suffered quite heavily.

On the upside we have had 3 other Spanish armies defeated heavily in battle and they are all still active, so don't worry too much about that. Unlike some other players this was by no means all your army either so chin up and keep calm!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannibal Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:22 am

My brother taught me that the key to command is to delegate, delegate, delegate! And to maintain a well-fed body at all times. But mostly to delegate.

His Majesty, King Josef of Spain
Hannibal
Hannibal

http://www.littlecaesars.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down