Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill

+5
Mr. Digby
kg little mac
mitra
Martin
MajorByrd
9 posters

Go down

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill Empty Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Gentlemen

I wish to congratulate you on yesterday's fight.

I expect written reports from McKinney, Baylor and Knight if possible.
If you write a report, please post it in this thread for everyone to enjoy.

Respectfully
Major General Josef Amadeus Seitzinger
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill Empty Re: Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill

Post  Martin Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm officially a floater, and only have access to this sub-forum because I have admin rights, so it's probably not appropriate for me to either follow it in detail, or post an AAR as McKinney. I may after all be playing on the other side next time.

But I just wanted to say well played guys. The whole team did well, against a Union team which includes some strong and experienced players.

I would be honoured to command the 'Lightning' Brigade another time.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill Empty Re: Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Isn't the actual "Lost Division" forum open to everyone? That's why I posted here at least.

Hmmm, might be wrong though.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Well I should know the answer to that, as it was me who set it up!  But it was my first attempt, so who knows.

Let's see if any blue-bellies post  Very Happy 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Yep =)

If anyone from the Confederate side wants to contribute an AAR, please share it in the open forum section for everyone to enjoy. Make sure it doesn't contain information too valuable although I don't think even the locked confederates are privy to that Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Yesterday video

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Awesome Mitra!

I don't know how many times, within the first 4 minutes, I've had to surpress the urge to click the flags. Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill Empty A Letter Home

Post  kg little mac Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Dearest Lucy,

Perhaps it is the power of your love which keeps me from harm.  For that I am grateful.  However, without question, recently promoted General M.T Georgia is doing his best to get me killed.  I fear he resents my relationship with General McClellan, a real leader of men.

Once again, on 5 July 1862, near the city of Uniontown, the venerable men of 4th brigade were sent into the breach, unsupported, for a near suicide mission to save the division batteries which had found themselves in the midst of a hornet’s nest of rebels.  My brave men performed admirably in the bleak situation.

That morning the briefing was too casual, with General Georgia giving us no intelligence on the make-up of the enemy force reportedly moving toward Uniontown, only a vague order to move to the high ground south of the city and form up with my brigade in the center of the line (again), not out on the flank where my leadership excels.  No written marching orders were ever delivered, thus the division milled about for a good while before I noticed the guns heading south.  So I took the initiative and ordered my brigade south, following the guns.

As we began ascending a large hill (Babylon Hill), I saw rebel flags on the crest.  Two batteries of our guns were near the top, unsupported (we hadn’t caught up with them).  I recognized immediately there were too many of the enemy up there, and our only option was to march east, then south if we wanted to beat the rebels to town.  I didn’t dare send General Georgia a courier saying we needed to change our route.  And I thought for sure Lt. General Simpson would order the guns quickly back down the hill.  Acting on my own, I ordered my brigade east, around the hill.

Just as we turned to march safely away to a better position, I received a courier from Lt. General Simpson asking me to come support the guns on the crest of the hill.  I wanted very badly to refuse, but those were good men up there, and since General Georgia didn’t have the prudence to order those guns to retreat, I sent two regiments up the hill on the double-quick, in line, to save the guns.  My other two regiments set up a defensive line a few hundred yards back so that when we fell back, I’d have a countering force.
We almost reached the crest when rebel lines became visible everywhere.  I saw that the guns were realizing their predicament had limbered and started moving away.  My two regiments poured a horrendous fire into the advancing rebels, but they came on, like madmen, screaming that awful yell.

We began falling back slowly, firing as we did.  The rebels closed quickly.  I ordered retreat, but the boys on the left were overrun.  They fought bravely, hand-to-hand, but eventually broke and ran under the pressure of so many enemy soldiers.  The boys on the right masterfully got away and reformed behind my reserve line.

I rode hard to the reserve line and braced them for battle.  On came the rebels, without reservation.  We stood firm.  Melee ensued.  My boys showed their mettle and the 2nd Virginia surrendered before our bayonets – Glory!  The rest of the rebel hoard lost their nerve and fell back.  Perhaps their commander saw me and knew of my fierce reputation, or perhaps they sensed how determined my boys were to make a stand; I’ll never know.  Had they pressed with all their will, I more than likely would not be alive today.  For I stood resolute, knowing that if my brigade ran, our division would have been split in two.

Lt. General Simpson ordered me back to support the guns on a ridge to my north.  I formed my three remaining brigades in line, marched into position, and rested.  A few minutes later, my brigade was once again called to stop a rebel attack on our right.  Bravely we went forward and easily repulsed a force much larger than my three tired regiments.

All in all, it was a bad day.  I lost many good men.

My confidence in General Georgia diminishes by the day.  He fights like a rebel general, with no regard for casualties.   Tonight I will also write General McClellan, and in as roundabout way as possible, I will ask him to bring me back under his command.  I fear if I am unsuccessful, I will not live out the month.

Only your love protects me.

Your Loving Husband,
Brig. Gen. Martin Eden

Last edited by kg little mac on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Hah.  Very Happy 

Fantastic writing!
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:55 pm

With a copy 'leaked' to the War Office perhaps?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

After Action Report
For:5 July 1862

General Georgia,

Congratulations on your well-deserved promotion.  A finer leader of men this country does not have.  I am honored to serve under your command.

On 5 July 1862, my brigade saw action at Babylon Hill.

While marching toward Uniontown, our column ran into a large rebel force occupying the high ground on Babylon Hill.  Two of our batteries were well out in front of the column and ran into enemy lines near the crest of the hill.

Lt. General Simpson called on my brigade to relieve the pressure on the batteries so that they could relocate.  It was a tall order, but my men acted without hesitation.  Casualties were high, and for the first time under my command, a regiment actually broke and ran under overwhelming enemy pressure.

The rest of my brigade stood firm and eventually turned back the rebel charges, allowing the guns to escape.  In the process, we captured the flag and most of the men and officers of the vaunted 2nd Virginia.

Lt. General Simpson then ordered my brigade to support the newly formed batteries on the hill north of Babylon Hill.  There we counterattacked a rebel advance on our right, driving them back and capturing another rebel regiment.

The fighting was hard and casualties were high.  I cannot help but believe had I two more regiments, the outcome of this battle would have been more in our favor.

I have rounded up my missing and wounded and reformed my brigade.  We have resupplied and are ready for further action.

I implore you to expand my brigade by at least two regiments so that you can better use my leadership talents.

Your Faithful Servant,

Brig. General Martin "GD" Eden.
4th Brigade, 1st Division, IV Corps
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:10 pm

After Action Report
For:5 July 1962
Brig Gen. Juan Santa Maria
Italiana Brigada
“Spirit of the bayonet, Cold as steal”
Union Army
Mission: Reserve Brigade for combat operations.
Honorable, M.T. Georgia
Lt. General, Commanding Union Army

Sir this is my AAR for combat operations performed by this unit on 5 July 1962.

You assigned us to be the reserve unit in support of the Union Army’s operation in the Union Town area. We were moving out to our designated AO and we my aide noticed a Union a flag peeking through the tree line on a ridge to our west. The troops quickly started to murmur “So much for Army intel, what an oxymoron that is”
I gave the order to move out to the south west and we proceeded to find us a staging area. Then the men shouted, more Rebs!! I looked to the hill to my direct left and it was filled with red flags and gray uniforms and the stench of death. I noticed that our boys were going to intercept those Rebs. I continued to move out and tried to get up onto a hill top and hold. Shortly after I was giving the order by you sir to do that same movement.

Getting to the hill was not an easy task; it was steep and slippery too. As I looked around the area I noticed even more Rebs to my west and what appeared to be a whole Corps of Rebs to the right on an adjacent hill in the area I was trying to get to. In the attempt to get to the hill half of the men went to the left and half to the right. You gave us the order to flank the Rebs, we tried we no success. There was a continuous flow of Rebs to our AO area. We tried to fall back and occupy the hill you assigned us to hold and then I saw even more Rebs, to our direct west! They were on higher ground then us and moving swiftly towards us. I decided it was better to cross over the stream bed and get to better ground, regroup and try to take the hill again later in the battle. You told me that you were sending cannons to support us, they never arrived and I am concerned about their demise as I write this report.

One of the regiments come under direct and excruciating cannon fire and ran off into the hills. I rallied up the other remaining 3 regiments and we stood by awaiting orders. We could see that the battle was not going well for US. The men stood courageous and at the ready while under continued cannon fire.

We observed our reserve Army coming from the East and I quickly reported that to you. You gave me the order to attack when they attacked.

After 20 minutes or so we observed the Rebs moving south to meet the reserve Army and we made our move to reclaim that hill. The fight was going well until a Reb regiment was on a flanking move on our left. We were outnumbered, being flanked and going uphill. I decided to bring the men to a defensive position and hold the road and intersection at the east base of the hill that runs along the creek bed. We were successful in doing this.

We had a Brigade meeting of the Officers and we came to the conclusion that we were ill prepared for combat operations in hilly mountainous terrain. We had been practicing our HITS drills on flat land with moderate sloops and we did well. On the steep hilly terrain we encountered this day it was quite hard on the command and control of our battle. We the Officers and Men of the Italian Brigade are going to commence training in mountainous terrain to better prepare ourselves for battle.
Our losses were heavy this day but our spirit is strong and ready to go on.

My men have sent word to their homes hoping that more Italian’s will join the ranks so if you should have some arrive in your camp please send them my way. The troops wanted me to pass this along to you. They were glad that you pulled out when you did; it appeared that we were in for a severe beating and they are proud to serve under a General that has the sense to pull back and fight another day instead of one that is fool hearted and afraid to admit this was not his day and continue a fruitless fight. They further extend to you the invitation to join us for afternoon coffee; this is a daily occurrence at about 2pm in the afternoon. Please let us know if you need us to change that time to accommodate your schedule.

We did observe one strange thing during this battle, one of the Reb commander the one who repelled us back from the hill was riding a mule. It was quite a sight, the men called him Don Key Xote. One of the boys said “I guess they really did kill a bunch of horse’s last battle.”

Please except our apologies for not taking that hill and we as a Brigade will continue to serve you with honor and pride.

Your humble servant,
Brig. Gen. Juan Santa Maria
Italiana Brigada

Last edited by Morsey on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 am

Dearest Martin,

It is with great sorrow that I read your letter. How could I get through the first paragraph without bursting into tears? What a dreadful thought that that General Georgia is trying to get you killed and squandering our soldiers on ridiculous fights.

The rumors around here are that this General Georgia (recently promoted I heard – is this true?) is a man of loose moral character who spends more time lying with loose women and scavenging for loot like some kind of pirate. Could all this be true of one of our men in blue?

We were also told that the Father General did decimate an entire brigade of our valiant troops by ambush. What a low and mean character he must be to resort to bushwhacking like some kind of Kansas thug. It is my hope that you yourself bring him low, or bring him back to Washington in a cage.

I’m sorry, but I have little to solace me from your last letter. Indeed, our neighbor has taken to cooking for me because I fear I am sometimes too feeble to do the errand myself and will burn myself or the kitchen in my worry.

I know such deep and abiding worry is a sin, but I cannot help myself. I miss the thought of you by my side and cannot wait for you to return from campaign.

I secretly wish that you would resign your commission and return home to your work –it is good work, man’s work, and you don’t need to fight to prove your worth to me.

As for saving the Union, to the devil with it if it promotes such men as Gen’l Georgia and kills the only man I will ever love with all my heart.

All my affections,

Lucy Eden
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  SWeathers Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:49 am

Im not sure whether I am impressed or horrified  Shocked 
SWeathers
SWeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:51 am

I must admit. . . the sweet voice I'd imagined for Lucy has been completely destroyed.  Shocked Shocked 
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 am

But, but I composed this in perfect falsetto...
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

excellent written reports, Gentlemen! Keep 'em comin.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm

kg little mac wrote:I must admit. . . the sweet voice I'd imagined for Lucy has been completely destroyed. Shocked Shocked

Bearded women is it?! Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Bad visuals, here. ;-)
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 pm

My Dearest Martin

Recent nights have been restless for me and the days no less troublesome. Since receiving your last letter my concern for my love has grown and my faith in the cause of the Union is being tested. I pray each day for your safekeeping and that our Good Lord will bring you home safe and with all your manly vigour. I sincerely hope that Genl. Georgia does no more to place you in harm's way, but if he does, I send you this recent photograph, taken with my friend and neighbor, Annie, who is consoling me in these difficult times. Carry it close to your breast and think of me in dark times.

I look forward to the happy day when victory will bring you home to me and we can lay together again and you can comb the scrambled egg from my beard as you once did before this terrible conflict drove us asunder.

Your ever loving,

Lucy

Reports of the Battle of Babylon Hill CW-ballgowns
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:05 pm

It's all so clear now!

And what's with the ugly chick on the right?
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:11 pm

PALMER +1!

It's cool to see people make flags and insignia for their units.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Hah! This stuff might have made my day already Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down