Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now!

+6
WJPalmer
kg little mac
Uncle Billy
Leffe7
mitra
Father General
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now! Empty Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now!

Post  Father General Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:08 am

Here it is! Click the link to sign up for the first battle. The number of participants will determine the overall size of this initial battle.

http://doodle.com/4xrbu396inqgq8x3
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now! Empty Re: Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now!

Post  mitra Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Neal, do you have already decided the battle map?

mitra

Back to top Go down

Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now! Empty Re: Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now!

Post  Leffe7 Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 am

Unfortunately I can't play this Saturday, but I hope the inital battle will work out well.
Neal, have you already thoght about who is going to be the host?
Maybe you should also have a list of potential hosts. Looking at the doodle, the number of players is already well above 10. Not everyone can host that.
Once you have created a scenario with my tool, you can always send the folder (minus the big excel) by mail to the host.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Yes, this time we going to have human players also for the drivers of ammo wagons Smile

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 am

Holy cow...

I just reviewed the Doodle and we have about 15 players.

I haven't decided the map, but I'm open to suggestions as to which map would be the most stable.

The map determination will be in part, up to the choices the commanders make.

If anyone can host, let me know...

Worst case, I can break the battle into two parts which can run concurrently, so there will be room for everybody.

-Neal

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44 am

Given the number of people playing, I'd suggest one of the Pipe Creek maps. They require the fewest computer resources.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 am

I'm contemplating a split battle. 4v4 x 2, so far. Or do we dare try something larger? An 8v8 is still just a division action, but I'd hate to see a crash.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:37 pm

We play 20 player GCM games without crashes quite often. You should ask Ron to host.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Hosting a large game shouldn't present any special problems or dangers of crashing the entire game, so long as everyone has compatible mods, latest software versions, etc. There is always risk of individual players dropping and a few will, no doubt, fall hors de combat regardless of all precautions, game size, map, mods & format. But that's always there and, in a sense, may bring proportionally larger impact to split, smaller games (i.e., 2 players of the same side dropping in a small game is more devastating than the same 2 falling in a large game). In a battle of this sort, where there is really just one chance to "get it right," it might also be wise to give preliminary thought to the conditions that would necessitate a game restart vs. playing on (e.g., number of player drops on a side, lost commanders, how long in game, etc.)

To minimize overall risks and maximize performance, I would suggest avoiding especially the stock Antietam and Chancellorsville maps. Next worst are the original, stock Gettysburg maps. Best bet for getting through a game smoothly, with minimal lag are any of the GCM random maps. Second best would be the GCM'ized Gettysburg maps, as these have had some of the graphics and CPU-intensive features removed. I haven't played enough on the stock Pipe Creek or Brandy Station maps to have an opinion of their performance characteristics, but these choices would, of course, exclude a number of players who haven't purchased the expansions.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:20 pm

I think a single large game would be more fun, however I just don't want crashes. I may gravitate towards a GCM or Pipe Creek Map, with my current preference for a GCM map. However, the armies have not yet come close to a clash, so I can't pick a map for another day or so.

I think everyone has Pipe Creek, or that was established. If anyone does not have it, they should message me.

I have been told that Ron and Martin may make good hosts. Heck, even I might make a good host, but I have not tested my hosting abilities. I know know that I can, but not how large. I do have good internet and a stable machine, especially once I turn down my file sharing programs and reduce the volume on my streaming movies that play during battles and kick the neighbors off my open internet connection.

So, I am looking for 1 or 2 individuals who can commit to hosting by Friday. On Friday, I will send them the built scenario files. I am hoping to test the scenario by Thursday. It will be built with Stefan's tool. In the meantime, the OOB still crashes. Hays is graciously removing its rough edges for me. I am sure we will have it ready in time.

Anyway, I anticipate a good time will be had by all. If you have access to the subforums, enjoy the stories as they play out.

-Neal

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Neal, or Kevin,

If you would post links here for the latest KS (Kevin's) mods needed for the game, I'll put them on the GCM forum so the new GCM guys playing can get them and we can do some testing to make sure everyone's ready for Saturday.

Thanks,

Mark
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Kevin, if you can , please?
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Yea, that's all I'd need. It would be nice to get some practice in with the Mods & HITS viewpoint for us GCM guys to get acclimated to the changes too, before we "see the elephant"... good call Solider.
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Count also me as host if necessary, the machine is new and this is my speedtest: Doodle link for the first battle - sign up now! 3583433455

I think is also important ask to all the people to, if possible, not use WI-FI connections but attach the cable to the router, close AVs, ip blocker or other programs which scan the net packets (of course all the p2p programs)

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Carter wrote:Yea, that's all I'd need. It would be nice to get some practice in with the Mods & HITS viewpoint for us GCM guys to get acclimated to the changes too, before we "see the elephant"... good call Solider.

In the meantime, open any SOW scenario and in the options, set difficulty to what, Grognard? Anyways, there is a setting that gives you the pure hits perspective and command by courier only.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 pm

It looks like Ron or Mitra are better bets than me for hosting, as my connection speed is c50 meg. But happy to be a reserve.

Have you thought of any ground rules for the game, Neal? For example will there be any restriction on generals scouting ahead of their troops? I think Ron used to publish some when he was running the GCM/HITS games, and it may make sense just to use those.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 pm

I need to think about that. In my book, generals should stay with their men. Getting too far away is a serious disadvantage with couriers.

More importantly, I see it as a bit a-historic. Cavalry should provide the scouting services.

However, in a situation where cavalry is unavailable, I can understand a general doing double duty. This may be what I favor, since moving without any scouts whatsoever is also a-historical.

I'll rule on this in a bit, I need to think about it. Any input is appreciated, but understand I'll make my own decision for the campaign.

How does everyone feel about this issue?

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 pm

If it's possible to scout in more than one spot with a brigade of cavalry, alright, leave it to them.

As far as having inferior ranking officers and aides scout the ground ahead, I can not believe that that wasn't common practice.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm

As the game does not handle at all the very frequent scouting reports a general would get from his cavalry and infantry picquets, POWs, friendly locals and any other form of intelligence gathering I am quite happy for a general to be representative of an army's ability to see further forwards than its own front line.

In this case he no longer represents the general himself but a generic ability to scout ahead. Using couriers the game neatly balances the advantage of doing this with a disadvantage which is that reports and orders take longer to be sent back and can risk interception.

I always like to place a reasonably realistic restriction on scouting with generals which would apply to any other type of scouts most of the time - 1) keep out of enemy musket range and 2) if a general inadvertently finds himself behind enemy units he must at once retreat back the way he came if possible (and not return by going deeper into enemy territory).

How does that sound?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Excellent.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Mark wrote:

If you would post links here for the latest KS (Kevin's) mods needed for the game, I'll put them on the GCM forum so the new GCM guys playing can get them and we can do some testing to make sure everyone's ready for Saturday.

This should give GCM players everything you need https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-games-for-kriegspiel-style

It looks more complicated than it is.  Basically, all you need is one or other version of CouriersAndMaps, depending on your vertical screen resolution.

Hope that helps.  Good luck on Saturday, GCM guys.  And welcome  Very Happy 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:10 pm

An additional question that will be asked by many prior to the Campaign launch goes to what other mods are known to be compatible or incompatible with KS HITS. For instance, I regularly play (in GCM games) with Reb Bugler's "Bugles & Flags XIII" activated above the GCM Toolbar. In the Campaign, I would like to play with both of these turned on and above CouriersAndMaps 1-5, if possible. Would that create a problem? Perhaps there is a list somewhere that could be posted for GCM and other players of the do's and don'ts of mods for KS games? Best to get these details sorted out before the first battle if possible.

As to scouting with officers, just an observation that I don't have as much problem with officers roaming ahead in HITS as in GCM. HITS players have incentives to keep officers close to their commands. For instance, delays in courier delivery and view perspective/distance could render it somewhere between difficult and disastrous should officers stray too far. Interestingly, most of the GCM games I host now are "blind" games, where officers must remain behind friendly troops/guns. This is a pull-back from the traditional "200 yard rule" for officers ranging ahead of friendly troops. The distinction is important: Unlike HITS, GCM players are not otherwise incented to remain near troops and officers could range free to discover all hidden enemy movements without restriction.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Is there anyway we can set up a test to make sure we are all good to go with the setup before the start of the campaign?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:03 pm

The GCM toolbar (and all other GCM mods) have to be deactivated. I use Reb Buglers toolbar but it must be activated after Couriers&Maps mod.

Any mod that only affects graphics such as Jolly's/Garniers trees is fine. I use Reb Buglers flags as well without apparent problems.

I would say deactivate absolutely everything else except the KS mod (and any NSD add-on needed to access a map) or a Garniers random maps add-on.

I don't know if Kevin has made a large minimap for all of Garniers random maps. I'm sure he has done for 2, 3, 4 and 6. I do not think he has for 7 and the latest 100 map pack definitely not, so SMALL Couriers&Maps would be needed to run those maps.

Yeah, good idea, a test session is definitely something we should try to fit in.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next