Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Grog Today at 6:54 pm

» Odd/glitchy AI
by Mr. Digby Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 pm

» download/install
by Uncle Billy Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 am

» Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming
by Miko77 Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by rschilla Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by risorgimento59 Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 pm

» Objectives in the Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm

» How do you save a multiplayer game in SOW
by RickMandar Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:11 pm

» Saturday game
by DumpTruck Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 am

» KS Napoleon Mod Version 1.33 and KS Supplemental Maps 1.23 Has Been Uploaded
by jlan5031 Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:01 pm

» Selling large 18th C terrain model.
by Nathangun Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:08 am

» For all SOW players
by PraetoriaXXI Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Statistics
We have 926 registered users
The newest registered user is Hammy

Our users have posted a total of 28256 messages in 2145 subjects

I forgot my password

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 21 Empty Re: AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Post  Mr. Digby on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm

I don't want to give players the option of deciding if their disorganized troops should fight or not.

My apologies, that wasn't what I was asking for. I was hoping that a clearer indication that a unit is out of action could be implemented. Could battalion commanders send the player a message as well as the brigade commanders? That would be enough, then you'd know not to bother trying to order X battalion hiding back there in the woods to do anything like I was doing for ages yesterday. I couldn't understand why a brigade was functioning perfectly yet one battalion refused to move. If a single battalion is out of action I'd rather it went far to the rear rather than hung about getting in the way.

Alternatively might we scrap the single out of action battalion system and limit it to just out of action brigades?

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 21 Empty Re: AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Post  risorgimento59 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm

I think it's dead easy to create/refresh UI variables from C++, Kevin.

std::int32_t selectedUnitID; // offset 0x007A8154, v103-steam

When the unit actually updating its AI from the DLL matches selectedUnitID, then addcomm -> eComSetVar(key, value).
If I remember correctly, keys starting with # are interpreted as long; the ones beginning with $ as strings.

Finally retrieve that variable in the layout files. Wink

I guess this wouldn't work perfectly if the game gets paused and AI doesn't advance, though.
Alternatively you could put an hook at the end of UpdateToolbarUIVars, where change of selections, etc. would be handled implicitly.

Last edited by risorgimento59 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

risorgimento59

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:19 am

Is there a way that we could have the brigade commander be able to give orders, but the battalions will still only withdraw from the enemy within certain range? This way they wouldn't fight and would still behave as they do now, but you could still tell them to move away from the enemy without having to manually tell each battalion. Or if I were fantasizing about possible ways to do it maybe one could designate a 'regroup' area that detached brigades would head to, still obeying the required distance from the enemy.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Actually this is what Digby and I have been informally doing for a few years now. One of our first actions is to find the best place for a meal. Sometimes it is a cafe but sometimes it is an Ad hoc picnic area. Regardless of venue it serves as a rally point for “disorganized” (we prefer to use the term “famished” or “hungry”) troops to gather.

If Kevin can adjust the AI accordingly then great. What I would ask, however is that he put a rating icon - 1 to 5 stars- on the toolbar so we can crowd source the best rendezvous points.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Single battalions must be detached, otherwise the brigade commander will try to bring them back into combat. That decision is made by the game engine. Also waiting until a sufficient number of battalions are disorganized and only then withdrawing is not realistic. Battalions would withdraw individually when they became combat ineffective. When the brigade was no longer a viable fighting force would it withdraw.

An assembly point for disorganized troops seems like a good idea, but is not something that would be easy to program. Where would it be as battle conditions change? Put it too far away and the brigades will never be heard from again.

I have added a feature to the toolbar. When a unit is detached, a red 'Detached' pops up near the name of the unit. That should help.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Assembly point:

Could you not model it somewhat like you currently do for cavalry scouts? Relative to a destination such as a division destination but to the rear of it vice forward of it.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks Kevin. A lot seems to have happened while I was away taking my summer break. If the out-of-combat battalion is detached that will help identify it. I assume by clicking on the brigade commander and viewing the OOB tree his command would then only show those units attached to him? Yes?

That would be enough for me now that I know what to look for. It was the apparent lack of info that was bothering me.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  risorgimento59 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 pm

Candidate assembly point for me:
highest scoring location from a battlefield map subregion (centered on the btn or brig) where the combined enemy threat is low (or mitigated by interposed friendly forces or obstructed terrain) both in intensity and reaction times (less of a problem for cavalry than artillery) - a likely quiet place basically; cost/distance from the main brigade body within a range that would still allow to get everybody together in a reasonable amount of time (roads would ideally reduce that "cost", for example); additional retreats not obstructed by terrain; proximity to strong defensive positions (manually annotated in a txt file); likelihood of becoming an obstacle to allied troops deloyment; etc. scratch

risorgimento59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum