Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

The Saturday match

5 posters

Go down

The Saturday match Empty The Saturday match

Post  Charmead Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 am

Saturday's Match was a good fight. Joe and Martin it was fun fighting alongside you even as my entire division disintegrated. Thank you for that one, Kevin. You may have all my flatware for that one
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

The Saturday match Empty Re: The Saturday match

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 am

There's an offer you can't refuse Kevin: get Pat wiped out every battle and he'll smile happily as you take the pick from his saddlebags.

It was a fantastic fight - one of those where my opinion on whether we'd won or lost must have swung about 5 or 6 times. I think we migt have lost at the end as Kevin's boys steamrollered in but Andrew blinked first and gave up maybe 5 minutes too soon. Such is war!

The image of Joe's cuirassier brigade surging downhill into poor Al's scattering Austrians will stay with me a long time. Spectacular. It looked like every battalion in his division was breaking.

Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v9vno4abpd84ef/ScreenShots.rar?dl=0

#3 is the cuirassier charge.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

It was still fun.  I should have held on the right to cover the other two divisions against Joe rather than try to shift left to help take the objective.  I saw him coming and should have known better.  That brigade that the cuirassiers routed was trying to break contact at the very moment the cavalry attacked.  Very unfortunate timing.  I would have liked to have seen if two formed brigades could have withstood the charge.  C'est la vie.  (Some of my guards are teaching me French).

Joe's big attack looking to the East.  My division has already routed.  Objective is off screen to the left in the direction of the troop movement.  If you look at Martin's screenshot #7 and see the three houses in the upper left, that is where this picture was taken from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qx3wg8fpq4u4y1/screen0002.bmp?dl=0
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Sometimes it is hard to describe to a 21st century audience what my 19th century disintegrated French division looked like yesterday. And a picture is worth 1000 words. So this is perhaps a better explanation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jly9xjbg1sew2sq/Photo%20Feb%2028%2C%2007%2039%2008.jpg?dl=0

Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:07 pm

.... I didn't have time to view the panoramic landscape and take a screenshot. Too busy riding Iin the other direction, rallying troops, looking for better places to defend, and writing courier messages to Martin saying "oh please for the love of all that is holy will you look to your RIGHT!"
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:04 pm

There's an offer you can't refuse Kevin: get Pat wiped out every battle and he'll smile happily as you take the pick from his saddlebags.
Mostly it was full of soiled underwear.

It was a very typical HITS battle. Once Pat's forces were defeated, a bunch of smelly Badentonians showed up at the objective. I didn't feel they would be much of a problem and sent the cavalry in to show them a little love. As I was hollowing out this force, Andrew writes me and says he is raising the white flag. I couldn't imagine why. It was only after seeing the replay that I found out a third French division was on our right, below the crest of the ridge I was fighting over. Apart from a squadron or two of those soup tureens, I never had any idea that such a large force was there. I thought all the that the French had left was in front of me. Quite a surprise. affraid Well played by the French.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAndrew Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:I think we migt have lost at the end as Kevin's boys steamrollered in but Andrew blinked first and gave up maybe 5 minutes too soon. Such is war!

My remaining batallions and squadrons had no strength left in them as the AI commanders where struggling to form up on that hill quickly having crossed a couple rivers before and with Pat's remaining units threatening our back and Joe pushing Al's remaining troops. The scenario turned out to be pretty hectic and tough so thanks for that, Kevin. Wink
CaptainAndrew
CaptainAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Charmead wrote:.... I didn't have time to view the panoramic landscape and take a screenshot.
I had plenty of free time at the end  Smile  ....
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Nice screenshot Al. Joe's division coming down that hill really does look unstoppable.

When Kevin's fresh cavalry came over the hill and began to crush my battalions that were in line and skirmishing and Pat was bleating something about "have you seen my division? I had it here an hour ago," I had one of those moments you read about in the histories of battles but you never really believed generals could be that callous. You read about commanders ordering futile attacks and throwing in division after division just to occupy an enemy because they know victory is being won elsewhere. That was how I felt. My division stood and got thumped but kept holding - men were going down in heaps but I just didn't care because I knew Joe was swinging around on my left to come up on the objective with me and I was confident he'd be able to win over whatever was facing him by then.

It was quite a curious moment. I felt quite calm about it. "Poor soldiers," I thought, "France loves you!"
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Duly noted, oh callous one
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content