Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Glad to be invited here. Thanks!

+3
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
Yankee Rebel
7 posters

Go down

Glad to be invited here. Thanks! Empty Glad to be invited here. Thanks!

Post  Yankee Rebel Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks for letting me be a part of your gaming community. I was invited here by one of your members (Saddletank). I'm a member of the Scourge of War boards, The Miniature Page, Starship Combat News and other wargaming sites. My favorite fields of study are The Napoleonic Wars, (my favorite) The American Civil War, Vietnam and modern war history. I love to wargame via PC games, boardgames and miniatures (mainly 6mm).

I live only a few miles from 2 Civil War battlefields in Missouri and NW Arkansas, which I enjoy visiting from time to time. These two battlefields are Wilsons Creek and Pea Ridge. Wilsons Creek is practicly in my back yard....lol. These are two very pristine and well kept parks, even 150+ years later. Anyways, thanks for having me here and I look forward to gaming and visiting with all of you. Thanks, Alan
Yankee Rebel
Yankee Rebel

Back to top Go down

Glad to be invited here. Thanks! Empty Re: Glad to be invited here. Thanks!

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:13 am

Welcome, Alan.  It's always nice to find another who is interested in playing SOW from the saddle via couriers.  You'll find a very friendly and supportive group here. The games are always great fun and quite intense. There are a few mods you will need to play.

For Napoleonic games go here: http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t759-set-up-for-sow-napoleon-games-for-kriegspiel-style

For ACW battles go here: http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t370-set-up-for-sow-games-for-kriegspiel-style

There is a Napoleonic battle which will take place this Saturday. Take a look at the thread and sign up. Again, welcome.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Alan, great to see you made it.

As Kevin says, we have a Napoleonic game lined up for this coming Saturday and it would be great to see you in the game.

Sounds like you live in an interesting place. My house is on the edge of the site of the first major battle of the English Civil War - Edgehill, 1642, so its a little like our equivalent of Bull Run I suppose. The problem we have in Britain is we have so many battlefields, most of our country has been fought over several times that we pay less interest in retaining our military heritage than you Americans do. All our wars were a long time ago and so many battlefileds were disturbed in past centuries by new construction, etc. After Hastings in 1066 we were never invaded again so all our battles have involved either us fighting ourselves or different rebellions against the crown at various times. What this means is that the crown and governments of the past had no interest in preserving relics of failed rebellions (like the Duke of Monmouths in the 1700s) which means battlefield preservation and information is not good in Britain.

Edgehill battlefield for example had a huge ammunition dump built over about 1/3 of it in WW2. The army said they'd leave after the war so of course, true to their word they are still there 70 years later and the site has been expanded to include all kinds of missiles, exlosives and other nasty things in underground bunkers served by a railway system, so sadly large parts of one of Britain's most significant battle sites are inaccessible.

Anyhow, nice to see you and hope to bump into you online soon.

Martin (aka Saddletank on the NSD forums)
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Welcome from me too, Alan.

Do try and join some of our games. This is a friendly group, and our games are played in a very good spirit.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Welcome from me also Very Happy 

Interesting what you say about Edgehill, Martin. Did you fight in the 350th Anniversary ECWsociety/The Sealed Knot recreation in 1992 ( I believe ).

I fought there with pike for the King in Sir Gilbert Haughton's Regiment of foot. It was great fun but definitely the toughest thing I have ever done (and I used to play Rugby League!). All the worst for being extremely hung over following the festivities of the Beer Tent the night before. If I ever do it again I will be a musketeer:)
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:After Hastings in 1066 we were never invaded again so all our battles have involved either us fighting ourselves or different rebellions against the crown at various times. What this means is that the crown and governments of the past had no interest in preserving relics of failed rebellions (like the Duke of Monmouths in the 1700s) which means battlefield preservation and information is not good in Britain.

Well, not counting the French Invasion of 1215-17 where Louis, Dauphin of France took much of southern England and was proclaimed King at St Pauls after seizing London.

Or the invasions from Scotland in 1385, 1513, 1715 and 1745, or from Wales in 1405.

The 14 or so sizable raids on the English coast by the French during the Hundred Years War are probably too small to count, though the invasions of the channel islands and the Isle of Wight in the same period are probably big enough to pay some heed to.

That takes us to the Wars of the Roses, where generally English-led armies invaded on behalf of York or Lancaster claimants between 1399 and 1497.

If we're only counting successful invasions (in that the invader took the throne and was actually crowned) then most of the Hundred Years Wars invasions would probably be left out, though the York/Lancaster/Tudor/Perkin invasions should still be counted.

The final invasion would probably be William and Mary's 'Glorious Revolution' in 1688 with a Dutch army and fleet. He succeeded in taking the throne with only minor skirmishes, and while some characterize this as not being a real 'invasion' as it had support from some of the local Lords and Parliament - well, what quasi-successful invasion of a nation doesn't have some local support at some stage?

I mean...

Welcome to the forum, Alan! Laughing 
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 pm

They weren't invasions. They were raids. Wink
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Glad to be invited here. Thanks! Empty Welcome from Kansas!

Post  Streetgang6 Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Alan,
Welcome! Always glad to see another Kriegsspieler in the vicinity (sort of). I, and a few others, are but a short 3 1/2 hour drive away in Leavenworth, KS. We run traditional Reisswitz Kriegsspiels from time to time and I too also like to game in 6mm. If you are ever in the area, let me know.

Mike Dunn

Yankee Rebel wrote:Thanks for letting me be a part of your gaming community. I was invited here by one of your members (Saddletank). I'm a member of the Scourge of War boards, The Miniature Page, Starship Combat News and other wargaming sites. My favorite fields of study are The Napoleonic Wars, (my favorite) The American Civil War, Vietnam and modern war history. I love to wargame via PC games, boardgames and miniatures (mainly 6mm).

I live only a few miles from 2 Civil War battlefields in Missouri and NW Arkansas, which I enjoy visiting from time to time. These two battlefields are Wilsons Creek and Pea Ridge. Wilsons Creek is practicly in my back yard....lol. These are two very pristine and well kept parks, even 150+ years later. Anyways, thanks for having me here and I look forward to gaming and visiting with all of you. Thanks,  Alan

Streetgang6

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:They weren't invasions. They were raids. Wink

Uh-huh Wink

And how do we define 'invasion' other than 'must be before 1067'? Cool
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Alan, did you see my PM to you on the NSD forum? Its best if you get the mods all installed and working before the day you join your first game. I and Kevin can probably help you out with that on Friday evening if you've got the time?

Our teamspeak server is here (for Friday):

http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t269-hits-couriers-teamspeak-server-information

but on Saturday you'll need to join Garniers GCM Teamspeak server:

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/home/teamspeak
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down