Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Today at 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30497 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013

+3
Uncle Billy
kg little mac
WJPalmer
7 posters

Go down

HITS GCM - Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013 Empty Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013

Post  WJPalmer Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:23 pm

HITS GCM - Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013 Battle11

Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: “Battle of Busaco”
Saturday August 10/GCM TeamSpeak HITS Channel http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/home/teamspeak

In Europe: 18:30 GMT; 19:30 British Summer Time; 20:30 Central European Summer Time
In the US: 2:30 pm EDT; 1:30 pm CDT; 12:30 pm MDT; 11:30 am PDT

Begin signing up now for side and command preferences at: http://doodle.com/2bq3q7rcv2vmat8w#table

It is north-central Portugal, 27 September 1810. The army of French General André Masséna is approaching the heather-covered ridge of the Serra do Busaco, occupied by the Anglo-Portuguese army under the Duke of Wellington. The defenders enjoy significant advantages in terrain, artillery, and battlefield intelligence. The French bring infantry superiority and enhanced flexibility in making their initial deployments. Cavalry will be comparably sized between the sides and limited to a single brigade for each army. Players will, for the most part, lead brigade-sized commands under a division/corps/army organizational umbrella.

Special Rules:
-To replicate Wellington’s excellent advance knowledge of French dispositions at Busaco, Anglo-Portuguese leaders may roam freely around the battlefield. French player/officers, however, must remain within 200 yards of friendly infantry, guns or cavalry at all times;
-The single victory objective will be located along the Serra do Busaco ridge in area A1.
Both Armies have some choices in their initial deployments:
-The Anglo-Portuguese may deploy their units (individually by division) in any of the northwest areas A1, A2, B1, B2;
-The French may deploy their units (individually by division) in any other area(s) of the map.

Players are encouraged to sign-up on Doodle. This will get us off to a fast start with CinC designations and early side assignments.

Sides -- French (commanded by Masséna) or Anglo-Portuguese (under the Duke of Wellington). Specific commands will be determined from preferences expressed in the Doodle sign up and as players show up. This will take a few minutes, so please be patient. Most standard KS and HITS/GCM game practices will be in place (e.g., Army CinC’s, 10 minute Council of War at launch; foliage always turned-on, no restrictions on TC’ing subordinate leaders, etc.)

CinC’s and a few early side designations will be announced by mid-week

Mods, Maps & Files Required for this Event:
Go to Uncle Billy’s post “Set Up for SOW NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel Style“ for a complete list of links to the mods & files you’ll need. http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t759-set-up-for-sow-napoleon-games-for-kriegspiel-style

If you haven’t played the Napoleonic mod in the past couple of months, you’ll need to download the latest version of the “Road to Wagram & Peninsular” mod and either the large or small version of the“KSNapoleon” mod (note the need to delete/disable the Road to Wagram logistics folder)
Special note to Peninsular Campaign Players: Be sure to deactivate both “NAP_KSPeninsularMod” (large or small versions) and “RestrictedMovementMaps” mods

At game time, everyone should have (only these) mods activated:
*RandomMaps6
*Road to Wagram & Peninsular
*KSNapoleonMod (large or small)
*GCM Terrain 4 (optional)

Additional Background
Through the magic of modding, Scourge of War is now the best way to recreate Napoleon-era battles in multi-player. There’s no need to run the GCM Launcher or join the Battle Queue for this one!

There are many unique aspects of play involved with the Napoleonic mod. You will experience, for instance, cavalry charges, infantry squares, and 120 yard rifle ranges. The style of play is also different. As Marching Thru Georgia notes, “unlike the ACW games, [in Napoleonics] there tends to be a preliminary period before the infantry engages. During that time, artillery bombardments take place, cavalry try to establish their superiority and some of the infantry can go on long marches to attack an enemy flank.” In other words, preliminary action and maneuver is typically prolonged – with less of the dash-in for a quick fight.

Make plans to be there – and be sure to register your side and command preferences early on Doodle!

HITS GCM - Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013 Portug11

A full-resolution map of the battlefield may be downloaded at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfxy9jt5uxpeyn9/Portugal%20Event%20%20Map%202013-08-10.pdf

See you there!
-Ron (Palmer)
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

HITS GCM - Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013 Empty Re: Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013

Post  WJPalmer Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm

With only one sign-up expressing a willingness to fill a CinC role, it looks like we may be going leader-less in Saturday's battle. If this turns out to be the case, I propose that the game be run cooperatively at the corps/division C.O. level. We can spend a bit more time in pre-game Councils of War, if necessary. Might be a bit less coordinated than past games, but should still work.

A few preliminary side & command assignments will be made later today or early Thursday. That way, teams will still have an opportunity for pre-planning if they wish.

-Ron (Palmer)
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

HITS GCM - Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013 Empty Re: Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August 2013

Post  kg little mac Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm

I'll take C&C, only to keep Kevin from sending my boys on a death ride.

I will, however, blame you Ron if I pull a muscle while flailing my arms about like an idiot.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:58 pm

kg little mac wrote:I'll take C&C, only to keep Kevin from sending my boys on a death ride.

I will, however, blame you Ron if I pull a muscle while flailing my arms about like an idiot.

lol, no worries. I believe all SoW injuries are specifically covered in your healthcare plan.

Thanks for taking charge. Now's your chance to wreak real payback for past injustices by Kevin the Butcher.Shocked 
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Palmer wrote:Now's your chance to wreak real payback for past injustices by Kevin the Butcher.
A gross mischaracterization. It has always been pure coincidence that Soldier's division ends up in a hornet's nest. More likely it is the other side that holds some grudge against him and singles him out for punishment. Just like this weekend. Twisted Evil 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 pm

It will be refreshing having a direct command of my own this time around; though I have a sneaking suspicion I won't have any subordinates to distract me Laughing 
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

kg little mac wrote:I'll take C&C, only to keep Kevin from sending my boys on a death ride.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Preliminary sides (from sign-up preferences entered to date)

Anglo-Portuguese:
CinC = Uncle Billy/MTG
Leffe7
Digby (cavalry)

French:
CinC = kg Soldier
Palmer
Khrysis (cavalry)

Later arriving players will be slotted where necessary to achieve balance in numbers and experience.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 pm

At last! , I will be free to play another of Ron's superb scenarios:) 

Confirmed on Doodle.

Don't mind what side or command. If artillery, I might need some prior warning so I can get a little practice in first.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 am

It'll be great to see you again Mike.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Apologies for pulling out at this late date, gentlemen.

Mrs K was taken to hospital yesterday after an accident, and while we're home again I'm going to be devoted to her tonight instead of our rightful victory.

Hope you can find another cavalryman for the French!
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Sorry to hear of your wife's accident, Justin. All the best for her recovery.

I might be able to take over your command.

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Very sorry to hear of the accident. I hope she is on the mend.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi Justin, all the best to your wife. I hope she is well again!

re yesterdays battle:
I noticed some weird formation displays on the toolbar. Ordering a brigade around in collumn formation, the toolbar would still display skirmish formation. And the form square button looked the same as "use roads".

re artillery: One of the french batteries worked correct and the other not. Was there any difference between them in the scenarios OOB (like leader class, formation, ...)
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks again for the game last night, gents.

I didn't have any issues with the French Cav. There were occasions where they refused to charge but that might have been because I forgot to TC them.

Appologies to my comrades for my later performance. I went well back to try to rally a squadron and got distracted in my interest at how long the unit remained panicked. By the time I had come to my senses, the Austrian attack was in full swing. Oops.

Its a shame about some of the issues with this game and the way it spoiled at least one person's game. Perhaps we need to move towards establishing a core of trusted OOB's and push forward with a KS GUI.

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:45 pm

I was a very interesting battle. I am not at all convinced that the Austrians can win that one. The French cavalry performed very well in the initial stages of the battle and then blocking our advance through town and while the French infantry pulled out of the fight and established a new line on the ridge to the north.

I think the issue with the French arty may have been either a matter of some file not loading correctly of perhaps something to do with RebBugler's toolbar. We should have restarted the game at that point and tried to isolate the problem. I didn't have any problems moving my arty and having it behave normally, but I use the courier system for all that.

I agree that it is time to build our own toolbar for nappy games that will incorporate the buttons people find useful. I'd ask that people take a picture of Reb's toolbar and circle the non-standard SOW buttons that they like to use. Digby has given me a list of what he finds useful, so if a few others do the same we can jettison Reb's toolbar and avoid any possible file conflicts.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down