Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» DarkRob's Video of the KS Napoleon Mod
by IkerBilly Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 am

» 2019 schedule for face to face games at Little Gaddesdon
by gunboat diplomat Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:06 pm

» Hello, and a new product announcment
by Father General Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:42 pm

» New Player Intro
by Uncle Billy Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 pm

» Another kriegsspiel on the PC? HistWar les Grognards
by Martin Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:51 pm

» KS SOWWL Mod 1.28 is Released
by Uncle Billy Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm

» New to KS mod, question regarding couriers
by Vilius Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:18 pm

» Kriegspieling assymmetric warfare (Thoughts on StarWars as a setting)
by midgetmanifesto Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

» Wargaming in the military
by Martin Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:41 pm

» Presentation
by Uncle Billy Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm

» Set Up for SOW ACW GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Statistics
We have 1030 registered users
The newest registered user is Vilius

Our users have posted a total of 25204 messages in 1995 subjects
Log in

I forgot my password


The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Go down

The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  nichtstadt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 pm

I have just read 'The '45' by Christopher Duffy. I think it is probably the best account of a horse & musket campaign that I have ever read. The forces available are not large and Duffy spends a lot of time analysing the forces available, the options available to commanders and why they took the decisions they did in the light of the intelligence they received, their objectives, assessments of their own capabilities and so on.
There are huge numbers of kriegspiels of all types from cavalry patrols, night attacks, raids, sieges and bigger battles which typically only lasted 20 minutes or so - although the approach marches took much longer.
Strongly recommended.

Andy Grainger
(Nichtstadt)
avatar
nichtstadt

Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  hammurabi70 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm

nichtstadt wrote:There are huge numbers of kriegspiels of all types from cavalry patrols, night attacks, raids, sieges and bigger battles which typically only lasted 20 minutes or so - although the approach marches took much longer.
Andy Grainger
(Nichtstadt)

We will all be looking forward to being commanders in your games then. Laughing
avatar
hammurabi70

Posts : 173
Join date : 2008-12-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  nichtstadt on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 pm

hammurabi70 wrote:
nichtstadt wrote:There are huge numbers of kriegspiels of all types from cavalry patrols, night attacks, raids, sieges and bigger battles which typically only lasted 20 minutes or so - although the approach marches took much longer.
Andy Grainger
(Nichtstadt)

We will all be looking forward to being commanders in your games then. Laughing

Indeed. I hate groups where people offer ideas themselves and then do f*** all themselves.

Nichtstadt
avatar
nichtstadt

Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  MJ1 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Sometimes it is good to get pointers on books to read for inspiration.

The maps for me are the key and once I have a good map I can then do something with it.

If I had not found the maps for the Shenandoah valley I don't think I could have come up with the game despite all the good reading material on the subject.

MJ1

Posts : 720
Join date : 2009-01-04

Back to top Go down

Re: The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  nichtstadt on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:15 pm

MJ1 wrote:Sometimes it is good to get pointers on books to read for inspiration.

The maps for me are the key and once I have a good map I can then do something with it.

If I had not found the maps for the Shenandoah valley I don't think I could have come up with the game despite all the good reading material on the subject.

There are lots of maps and a few sketches in Duffy's book. I think he draws them himself - or knows someone who can. Not many milhist books these days have decent maps.

Nichtstadt
avatar
nichtstadt

Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The '45 Jacobite Rebellion

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum