Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

TURN 1 - Early June 1808

+2
WJPalmer
Mr. Digby
6 posters

Go down

TURN 1 - Early June 1808 Empty TURN 1 - Early June 1808

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I am going to close turn 1 very soon, probably after the weekend (which in the UK here is midnight at the end of Monday because its another national holiday here). This gives everyone 5 days after the original deadline so I think that's enough. I appreciate that some people are busy but on the other hand several have been waiting a long while after they submitted their orders and I'd like to try and strike a balance if that's possible between rushing people too much and not being prompt enough for those who do get their ordres to me on time. The campaign needs to maintain a lively pace to keep it interesting for the majority of players.

I will endeavour from now on to try and move the game on at the rate of a turn every 10 days. I'll do it more frequently of course if orders come in early.

LAST CALL:

For turn 1 I still lack move orders from:

Little Mac / Dupont
Sharpe55 / Moncey
Leffe7 / Verdier

I also need some feedback from events that ocurred to or replies/responss to messages that were sent to:

Sspoom / Palafox
Castro / Baldwin
Wittmann / Bessieres

Everyone else is done although some have not yet received replies from me to their turn orders because I cannot due to other players moves possibly affecting them.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

TURN 1 - Early June 1808 Empty Re: TURN 1 - Early June 1808

Post  Mr. Digby Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 am

WAR!

The Fires of Conflict have been lit! Cataluna is Aflame!

News is Reaching the whole of Spain that there is already Conflict in Cataluna.

From Gerona it is announced that a column of Italian troops in French pay under the command of General Lecchi arrived outside the city on 6th June and called upon it to surrender. Apparently the officer commanding the garrison, a Colonel O'Donnel of the Irish Ultonia regiment refused. He has only 350 soldiers of his regiment with him and a company of fortress gunners, but 2,000 loyal citizens rose up and demanded to be given muskets, powder and ball from the citadel magazines.

Lecchi has only a small force, what is thought to be 3,000 infantry, 500 cavalry and 10 cannons and he attempted to invest the city at first but it's walls were of too great a circumference and the prominent forts along the heights that protect the east side of the city, the forts of Montjuich, Constable, Capuchins and Santa Luis were too strong for the small Italian army to seal off. Supplies moved through to the city for a week. In this time Lecchi again demanded surrender or he would put the surrounding country, farms and villas to the torch. The Spanish defenders again rejected his demand and several days followed in whch the Italians committed many terrible crimes against the people of the region, burning farms, stealing livestock, stripping crops. There have emerged terrible stories of nuns raped in convents and babies bayonetted. The Spanish had never seen such atrocities. Lecchi it seems is a demon in soldiers clothing, the anti-christ come down upon Cataluna for its sins.

However God was merciful and sent his angels of retribution to drive Lecchi's legions back. Many angry peasants and villagers of the hill towns banded together and formed bandit groups and miquelet companies. These amateur soldiers harassed the Italians at every turn, skirmishing with them and preventing them from burning every barn and raping every nun.

After a few days the Italian force fell onto the defensive. Too weak to besiege the city and now outnumbered by what is thought to be 5,000 irregulars Lecchi's position is becoming difficult.

Aragon Thunders to the Hooves of Destruction! War in the Ebro Valley! Tudela Occupied!

A powerful French corps led by Marshal Bessieres of up to 12,000 men with 2,000 cavalry and, it is said, 50 pieces of ordnance has marched east down the valley from the area of Vitoria to attack the Spanish division of General O'Neille who was defending the town of Tudela, an important place that protects the crossing of the Pamplona Road over the river.

It is understood that General Palafox in Zaragosa gave O'Neille orders to fall back if he was outnumbered which he did, pulling back his threatened brigades in the face of numerous squadrons of French chasseur and dragoon cavalry. Nevertheless the poor citizens of Tudela wept as the Spanish retreated, unable to understand why the cowardly O'Neille would not stand and defend their town.

Over the course of two to three days and always harrassed by French light cavalry Gen. O'Neille's troops retreated south-east through the village of Mallen and finally across the narrow but turbulent waters of the Rio Jalón where he halted against the small town of Alagon just west of Zaragosa. Here another Spanish division was posted, that of General Conde de Lazan with 5,000 more men. More Spaniards may support these two generals from Zaragosa and what General Palafox may do is as yet unknown but the French picquets have closed up to the small steep-sided valley of the Jalón and are observing their enemies. Beyond, distantly seen, the spires of Zaragosa taunt the French.

Across the Borders! More Troops enter Spain! Pyrenees Miquelets Strike!

French columns have been reported passing through San Sebastian, Pamplona and Vitoria to reach the upper and middle Ebro valley around Miranda del Ebro and towards Tudela. However on their march, parties of Spanish irregular skirmishers who style themselves 'miquelets' or 'guerillistas' (men who fight 'little wars') have been harrasing the columns night and day in the hilly country. The miquelets are not soldiers at all but Spanish civilians or even deserters from their regiments who seek to bring the war to the French troops the minute they step on Spanish soil. Their tactics are to snipe at officers from afar to delay and confuse and to only attack weak targets such as foraging parties, stragglers or messengers. This is a new form of warfare, one hard to counter as any main force brought against them merely causes them to melt away into the hills.

Rebellion in the Asturias! Santander Rejoices!

Hussar cavalry of the Army of the Asturias have ridden along the coast road from Gijon and entered Santander, joining two weak battalions of volunteer troops that have been garrisoning the city. It is rumoured that a bigger force of Spanish is approaching behind their screen of dashing hussars.

The South-East Joins the Rebellion! Valencia and Murcia send Troops.

Spanish armies have marched out of Valencia and Murcia to much celebration from the citizens. Ever more flock to join newly raising regiments in both cities and while the Spanish in these regions have few cavalry and artillery, their foot soldiers seem to keep pouring in to rally at the colours.

Rumours fly as to where the Spaniards of Generals Villava and Llamas will strike but so far, athough columns have gone north and west, there is no news of where they are headed, but one word is on the lips of all: Madrid!

In the South. Andalucia Rallies.

Seville has been secured by a strong Spanish army. The much-loved and respected General Castanos is said to be in command. Spanish columns were reported by a French merchant passing the town of Ecija in the first week of June.

On the Border! Celebrations in the West!

A Spanish army has entered Badajoz. The flowery and effervescent Conde de Belvedere has entered the fortress and there is talk of his army holding a grand parade, a festival of "drill, marksmanship and a feast for the city's citizens". It isn't clear if this "Military Olympics" has actually taken place yet or not but only a general of the curious nature of the Conde would dare do such a flamboyant thing while the enemy of Spain is rampaging through the country.

Toledo has Fallen! French Armies on the March! Junta Flees in Disarray.

As a corps of French troops marched into Toledo's northern gate, out of the southern one cascaded a flurry of coaches, carts and wagons of all sizes packed with gentry, notables, judges and their families, dogs and servants.

It transpires that the Central Supreme Junta was planning to open sessions in Toledo when the French advanced on the defenceless city, causing the Junta and their families and flunkeys to hastily decamp and head south along th every poor roads to Mora and Madridejos. It is thought that only places with sufficiently fashionable facilities such as Granada or Sevilla will be a suitable stopping point for the Junta in the south.

Astorga Occupied!

Spanish troops have entered the fortress.

Valladolid Threatened! Where is General Cuesta?

The sixty-year old but much respected General Cuesta was thought to be raising an army in the heart of Old Castile; a good number of supply wagons and bullock carts have been seen carrying goods into the city during May. However a French army has appeared across the Rio Duero and is threatening to capture the place. Why is Cuesta the Lion not defending it? Where is he hiding? Has he fled? Surely not - that is not the Cuesta the world has come to know over so many glorious decades.

=======================

The early weeks of June are done. I will send out updated OOBs for mid-June tomorrow. I'll give about 10 days for the next turn, making it a week on Thursday deadline. If people complete orders and discussions/responses quicker though, that's good.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Great update. History moves on.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Digby only 1 note: it should be Lechi not Lecchi, the sound with the double consonants is different (for the chronicle in italian lecchi means "you lick" Smile )

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Great update. History moves on.

Excellent colour, Digby Smile
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue May 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Bravo Digby, first class
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue May 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you Mitra. I have seen it spelled both ways - by English speakers - probably through ignorance. Mind you "General Licker" is possibly quite a good nom de guerre. tongue

Thanks to everyone of rthe comments. I hope you are all having fun.

We may well have a battle this turn, it depends on the size of peoples, ahem, family jewels! Shocked
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Well, i think because the double consonant doesn't correspond to a different sound in english, so it is easy mistake also knowing the pronunciation. I remembered one of my first english teacher, a guy from London (of italian father my little knowlodge of italian language) to write dessert at place of desert and sujestion at place of suggestion, and consulting the dictionary when I exposed my doubts about it (i know, I'm bastard inside Smile )

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGIO_Suchet Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 am

wow .... I lost your post Martin.

Epic scenario. cheers
LEGIO_Suchet
LEGIO_Suchet

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 pm

At the middle of June 1808 the French had within their zone of control 14 Spanish towns, fortresses and cities. 10 of these were sufficiently well garrisoned to be under French control. With 2/3rds of settlements pacified the French just scraped a 'moderately successful' result for the campaign so far. No battles were fought, running score = 0.

Moderate amounts of taxation are flowing into Madrid. King José I might be able to hold a fancy ball soon. Or raise some Royal Guards.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down