Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Scenario Generator for Scourge of War

+16
vonAugust
Ike
Khryses
Blackstreet
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
Martin
Grog
SWeathers
kg_sspoom
Hays
WJPalmer
kg little mac
LEGIO_Suchet
mitra
Leffe7
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scenario Generator for Scourge of War - Page 2 Empty Re: Scenario Generator for Scourge of War

Post  Leffe7 Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Grog.
Yes, you can post a link of course. Although I'm not sure if the Scenario Generator is exactly what is asked by Cliometrician.
I intend to post the Scenario Generator on the NSD forum by this weekend.
I wanted to wait a week to see if some unforeseen user problems arise and to make it available on the NSD download server (not by Dropbox).
Cheers
Stefan
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Scenario Generator for Scourge of War - Page 2 Empty Re: Scenario Generator for Scourge of War

Post  Grog Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks Stefan

I think you are right, its not quite what he is asking for. I will post a link, anyway.

A little publicity for KS among MP players would be good, I think.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Stefan

Loving your Scenario Generator.

Was wondering if I could put in a request for version 2 Smile

Its more for the Napoleonic games, really.

Could there be one or two more options for brigade, division types, such as:

- Being able to choose light or Heavy cavalry
- Reserve type formations (grenadiers, Guards, heavy artillery)
- Option of 1st or 2nd rate Brigs,Divs,Corps

Very Happy

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Grog wrote:Stefan

Loving your Scenario Generator.

Was wondering if I could put in a request for version 2 Smile

Its more for the Napoleonic games, really.

Could there be one or two more options for brigade, division types, such as:

- Being able to choose light or Heavy cavalry
- Reserve type formations (grenadiers, Guards, heavy artillery)
- Option of 1st or 2nd rate Brigs,Divs,Corps

Very Happy

Hi Grog
sure, you can put in requests as you like... cheers ...but I can't promise to implement all of them Embarassed.

In general I like to keep the Scenario Generator a (hopefully) easy-to-use tool. This tool will be enhanced of course, but it shouldn't get too complex. Maybe I will create a more complex and sophisticated variant in the future.

As an outlook for version 1.1: You will be able to see some statistics about the size and quality of your generated OOB before you launch the game. So if it doesn't please you, you can change the setup or rerun the macro.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Groovy!
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Grog wrote:Groovy!
Now there's a word I haven't heard in a while. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Stefan, been looking at this today and its great. Could you add an option so that it pulls exact units/brigades out of an OOB you specify? Then it could be used for campaign battle generation as well.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Martin,
I will e-mail you to discuss the possibilities.
Regards
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Scenario Generator is updated to v1.1. See posts #1 - 4 for details.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Leffe7 wrote:Scenario Generator is updated to v1.1. See posts #1 - 4 for details.

This is big. The statistics enhancements have already saved a bunch of time in designing Saturday's Italian Campaign event. It is now much easier to create competitive asymmetrical battles. Thanks, Stefan!!

-Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Saturday's Italian Campaign event.

Have I missed something?
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Blackstreet wrote:

Have I missed something?

Apparently so!
http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t709-special-napoleonic-italian-campaign-hits-event-saturday-4-may#6355
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

WJPalmer wrote:
Blackstreet wrote:

Have I missed something?

Apparently so!
http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t709-special-napoleonic-italian-campaign-hits-event-saturday-4-may#6355

Darn - I'm out again this weekend Sad
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:54 pm

With the constant help of Martin and Kevin I introduced some major new features to the Scenario Generator. Therefor a direct step up to Version 2.0 is appropriate cheers
See posts #1 - 4 for details.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Outstanding!  Each of the new features is valuable, but the ability to introduce specific, custom OOB's will be nothing short of a godsend to both campaign and stand-alone scenario designers. Congrats! Very Happy

Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Thank you Stefan this is great.

While using the previous version of the ScenGen for one of the Peninsular campaign battles I discovered it limits brigades to a maximum of 9 regiments. Can this limit be increased please?

Is there a limit to how many entries an OOB can have in ScenGen?

Also might you and Hays get together and possibly discuss ways to bring his Campaign Tool and your ScenGen into compatibility with each other? Niall's tool adds a coded column of numbers into column B of the OOB and adds 4 columns to the far right hand end which control the system of troops losses and recoveries for campaign battles. As these differences make the OOB formats incompatible between the two tools I have been manually making the changes to satisfy both pieces of software but if they could both recognise these columns life would get extremely good for camapign umpires.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

The OOB that is output from the Campaign Tool is a standard OOB. The additional columns of data are only added to the Master OOB. (Don’t Load the Master OOB into the Scenario Generator)

I haven’t had a chance to fully checkout Stefan’s Scenario Generator yet but from reading the notes I can’t see why you would need to edit anything other than to add “1” to column “AK” in order to preserve any unit names you may have specified in the Master OOB that you wanted to appear in the scenario.

On the face of it I can’t see any issue but I need to do a full test to confirm there are no conflicts when the casualty results generated from a scenario are loaded into the Campaign Tool.

Great job Stefan.
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 am

Mr. Digby wrote:While using the previous version of the ScenGen for one of the Peninsular campaign battles I discovered it limits brigades to a maximum of 9 regiments. Can this limit be increased please?
The limit of 9 regiments per brigade is pretty hard-coded and would mean a lot of work to change. I haven't seen an OOB with that many regiments yet and I doubt it would be easy to handle for both an AI or human commander.

Mr. Digby wrote:
Is there a limit to how many entries an OOB can have in ScenGen?
Yes, currently the limit is 1900 rows. I could raise that limit easily if needed.

Re: Hays tool
By importing an OOB into the Generator, not all information is preserved:
NAME1: Preserved (but a roman letter is added if there are duplicates of the same name)
NAME2: Only preserved if flagged with a "1" in column AK.
ID: not preserved

Regards
Stefan
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:58 pm

10 cavalry squadrons seems to me very common in French cavalry brigades as this is 2 regts each of 5 sqns. There's several brigades of this format in the Peninsular armies.

Russian Napoleonic position batteries sometimes had 14 guns IIRC, so thats a 14-unit brigade.

I think the ID column is the essence of Hay's tool. Its a great shame that the Scenario Generator can't be used with OOBs created in Hay's tool. If the two of you could talk about it and see if full compatibility could be reached that would be really fantastic.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 am

I know we've discussed this earlier Digby, but it does seem that combining them into two-squadron units (as is done in a number of the base oobs we've used already with the Nap Mod) would both get us easily under the 9-regt-per-bde hard limit and make the whole formation a lot easier to handle. How often tactically would all 10 squadrons have been doing 10 different things anyway? 

Reading the book you kindly lent me with growing horror and amusement,

Justin
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am

Khryses wrote:Reading the book you kindly lent me with growing horror and amusement,
E-mail me to discuss. Smile
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Khryses wrote:I know we've discussed this earlier Digby, but it does seem that combining them into two-squadron units (as is done in a number of the base oobs we've used already with the Nap Mod) would both get us easily under the 9-regt-per-bde hard limit and make the whole formation a lot easier to handle. How often tactically would all 10 squadrons have been doing 10 different things anyway? Justin
Stefan recently raised this issue with Kevin and I, in the context of the Scenario Generator.  There is a tension here between history and playability.  Modding can only take us so far, and ultimately we felt that the best solution would be for the game code to be re-written to allow for more effective control of the cavalry in combat.

Diggers is quite right about the size of cavalry brigades - the largest in the Waterloo campaign had 13 squadrons, and many had 7 or 8.  But as you suggest, such large brigades are not easy to control in the game.  Brigade size is closely related to the question of squadron size.  There are a number of difficulties with combining larger squadrons however:

(a) Historically, squadron size was constrained because that was the largest force of cavalry that could act as one tactical unit, and because much larger squadrons could not physically have brought all of their troops to bear against an infantry battalion.  Establishment strengths were typically 150-200, with most being towards the lower-end.  So having most squadrons at 200 or even a lot more is anachronistic.  Not Napoleonic warfare, and not representative of any horse & musket army.  

(b) There even seems to have been a reluctance to combine 2 very small squadrons.  There are numerous examples of squadrons continuing to operate with strengths as low as 70 or 80.  I suspect (or rather speculate, to be honest) that this may partly have been because of status-related officer issues – a reluctance to ‘demote’ squadron commanders.  All that said, I admit that weak squadrons were occasionally combined, and that is reflected in some of the Austrian game OOBs.   But I think that was very unusual.

(c) If we have unhistorically large squadrons, with historical stats, then each one will be unduly powerful.  If we compensate by reducing cavalry stats to give infantry its historical ability to defend itself, then an army’s overall cavalry arm will be weaker than it should be, due to the smaller number of units.

(d) Having fewer (but larger) squadrons will also reduce the overall resilience of an army’s cavalry, simply because there are fewer units, so charge fatigue will have more of an impact.  If we compensate for that, by reducing charge fatigue penalties, then we risk making uber-cavalry which can just make continuous charges. As well as making infantry too vulnerable, that will also remove much of the tactical flavour and decision-making from pure cavalry fights.  Engagements where victorious squadrons are then charged and defeated by fresh enemy ones, would be unlikely to occur in a historical manner.

(e) Cavalry brigades of just 4 or 5 units are not satisfying to command.  One engagement and you can easily find all your units gone.  Yes it has happened to me!  Cavalry combat in the game tends to be over very quickly - as it should be.  But that is little consolation if you spend the next hour and a half with no troops.

My own view is that the least bad option is to stick to brigades of historical size, and work at getting better at controlling them.  Practice should help.  And there are some things you can do to assist, like using the ‘detach’ button creatively.  But that is not ideal, and I’m not sure I have even convinced Stefan and Kevin Smile.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Just a minor update to v2.1 to include the Brandy Station map.

And a small fix to increase compatibility with Hays carryover tool.
Note that when using Hays' tool your scenario will need to have an army commander. And you will need to delete all couriers and wagon trains in an imported custom OOB.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi guys

I updated the Scenario Generator to v3.0. See second post for details. The main new feature is the Carry-Over mode, which was also used in some of the battles in Neal's campaign.
As far as I can tell the new version is working ok. If not, please tell me. I will wait for some feedbacks before posting this version in the NSD forum.

As soon as the Courier and Mini-Maps Mod and the KS Napoleon Mod are updated to the next version, I will also post an update to v3.1 to include the new OOBs which will make use of new sprites, flags and portraits.

KR
Stefan
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Stefan

Looks great. I had a read through the manual. All I can comment on is the incorrect spelling of "casualties" and "permanently". There's also an issue with "colour" and "centre" but perhaps that's intentional? Wink
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next