Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

+4
WJPalmer
Khryses
Grog
Martin
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February Empty Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

Post  Martin Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Some of us are planning to get together at 20.00 UK time this coming Thursday for a HITS game. What we do will depend on how many can make it.

I'm happy to host, if necessary.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February Empty Re: Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

Post  Grog Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 am

Sounds good Martin

Only the effects of paint fumes will keep me back. Perhaps we should fight Chancellorsville, with me being Hooker, post 'skittle' incident Shocked
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February Empty Re: Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

Post  Martin Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am

Yes if you'd like.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

Sounds like fun - does that mean we're trying the asymmetric suggestion WJPalmer had?

Here’s one that ignores objectives -- with a Jacksonian flare. Forces begin with Confederates outnumbered perhaps 2 to 1 or 3 to 2. The “surprised” Federals begin the game frozen in place (formation changes are permitted -- or maybe we allow movement for the first 2 or 3 game minutes). Federal leaders may move, familiarize themselves with the ground near their troops and communicate per usual, but must always remain within 100 yards of some friendly troops.

You KNOW where I'm going with this! Confederates move freely from the beginning. They have only limited time (darkness is closing in) to "scout the Federal flank," organize, and execute their attack. If it’s clumsily done, they will either soon find themselves knee-deep in enraged Yankees, without sufficient time to complete their mission, or both.

Triggers that free-up Union movement
Union troops are free to move when either
1) A Union player/leader spots Rebel infantry (defined as being able to click on an enemy regimental flag). This frees the spotting player only to move his own units. (Note: sighting a Confederate officer is not a sufficient trigger);
2) A courier is received from the Union CinC stating that enemy infantry is attacking (i.e., if a player hasn’t spotted Reb infantry himself, he may nevertheless move once he receives a courier from Fighting Joe reporting the attack on a teamate per 1 above.

Victory conditions:
Rebels win immediately at any point that finds them up a net 2,000+ casualties (not points) on the Yankees, after reaching a threshold of 3,500 casualties inflicted --or other suitably large number. The Federals win by avoiding Rebel victory conditions by game’s end.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Actually, fellas, I was just joking about the Chancellorsville/Hooker incident scenario (ie when he was dazed following him regaining consciousness following his injury from the artillery hit on Chancellor house. Appols for the vague reference.
I've just finished Steven Sears's book on the battle. Some recon he was entoxicated but most likely the effects of concussion.

I am happy to play whatever, its been 3weeks since I got an MP game in. Palmers scenario sounds good but it might take some organising.

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Khryses wrote:Sounds like fun - does that mean we're trying the asymmetric suggestion WJPalmer had?

This was one of the brainstorms for perhaps one of the HITS/GCM contests in the future, as these present unique challenges in asymmetric game set up.

I'll try to make the Thursday 20:00 game. Sounds like fun!

-Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Excellent. I think we're up to 4 at least then.

Is everyone happy to take at least a small division?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Khryses wrote:Sounds like fun - does that mean we're trying the asymmetric suggestion WJPalmer had?

I think there are probably a few more details to sort out first. The biggest of which is determining the magnitude of the imbalances. Fortunately, there is a very fun way to do this.

As many wannabe CinCs get involved in this process ahead of time. If they win this process, they will then essentially responsible for the fate of their command...

They "bid" for the imbalances, and can only "bid" lower than the previous bids. In this case, the only parameter to bid for would probably be the ratio by which the Rebs are outnumbered. Both CinC's are bidding to lead one side or the other. In this scenario, let's assume that both CinCs are bidding to be Jackson...

E.g:
A: Ok, I can do this outnumbered 3:2.
B: You must be joking, far too easy. I can crush the Yankees outnumbered 2:1!
A: I could probably manage 2.2:1
C: Laughable. I can do this while I'm outnumbered 5:2!!!
D: Stand aside gentlemen. I'm Jackson reincarnate, and I will take those Yankees on 3:1
(no further bids)

D would then take outnumbered CinC position, while all of the others have implied that they can defeat him, and so any one could perform the task, but in this example it should probably be C.

Thoughts?
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Splendid idea. General Georgia will be happy to take the other side of such a bet. cheers Will Gen. Jackson still be bringing the silverware along?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Splendid idea. General Georgia will be happy to take the other side of such a bet. cheers Will Gen. Jackson still be bringing the silverware along?

If Gen Georgia wishes to take the other side, he must first bid to take the outnumbered side!
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Blackstreet wrote:
They "bid" for the imbalances, and can only "bid" lower than the previous bids.

Ha, that remembers me of how the Clans attacked the Inner Sphere in Battletech (Mechwarrior, anyone? Twisted Evil ). There the invaders (clans) asked the defenders (Inner Sphere) with how much forces they would defend themselves in a coming battle, then the clan commanders would bid to gain the right to attack (lowest numbers win).

So, yes this could work with SOW. You would only need at least 2 wanna-be CinCs on the bidding side and be flexible to adapt the OOBs.

BTW, I will try to join the game on Thursday. 1930 would be better, but 2000 is ok if we start quickly.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Yes I can understand that, Stefan. Does anyone have a problem with 19.30 UK time?

Justin, Kevin .....that's primarily you I'm thinking of Smile

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm

If Gen Georgia wishes to take the other side, he must first bid to take the outnumbered side!
Gen Georgia does not subscribe to giving the other side a sporting chance. He is more of the forgone conclusion school of thought. It's far easier to pick up all the loose silverware that way. Very Happy

Justin, Kevin .....that's primarily you I'm thinking of
Alas, Thursday I must toil at the office.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Either is doable - I'm not bidding for C in C, so happy to receive my orders and start quickly.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 am

I will try to make 7.30pm. Very likely.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 am

It looks as if we have at least 6 for today's game:

Grog
Justin
Leffe
Ron
Blackstreet
Martin

Is that right chaps?

Given time constraints, I think we should get as much as possible agreed before we meet up. So:

1. Should we aim for 19.30 UK time or 20.00. Former is better for Leffe but can Ron make it that early?

2. How long a game - would 2 hours be ok?

3. Would folks prefer 3 vs 3 or all vs the AI?

4. I'm happy to host & provide an appropriate OOB, but it may just be simpler for Ron to run a GCM/HITS game, if he's willing?

5. What map should we use? One of Garnier's?

6. Objectives, hunt them down or something else?

7. Who is willing to be CinC (s)?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Martin wrote:It looks as if we have at least 6 for today's game:

Grog
Justin
Leffe
Ron
Blackstreet
Martin

Is that right chaps?

Given time constraints, I think we should get as much as possible agreed before we meet up. So:

1. Should we aim for 19.30 UK time or 20.00. Former is better for Leffe but can Ron make it that early?

4. I'm happy to host & provide an appropriate OOB, but it may just be simpler for Ron to run a GCM/HITS game, if he's willing?

Martin (J)

1) Preference is 8pm.
2) I'd prefer 2 hours, yes.
3) No preference, I'm easy.
4) Again, no preference.
5) No preference. Is this helping?
6) Might be fun to go for one of the asymmetric ones we've been talking about, but not sure if there is time.
7) I am always happy to be CinC, but am also happy if someone else would like to give it a go.

I expect that's really helped narrow down your choices, hasn't it!
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Martin wrote:It looks as if we have at least 6 for today's game:

Grog
Justin
Leffe
Ron
Blackstreet
Martin

Is that right chaps?

Martin (J)

Starting at 19:30 works fine for me as well. We can certainly play it as a HITS/GCM "Impromptu", if you prefer. That would make Garnier's Large Random Maps (or any of the others) available and, also likely bring in a few additional GCM players lingering about at that time if you're looking to expand the roster. This last is especially so if the word gets out a few hours ahead.

6) Might be fun to go for one of the asymmetric ones we've been talking about, but not sure if there is time.

This also is possible, but in order to getting off to a prompt start, it would be best to have any settings changes decided in advance, sides determined, etc.

Last edited by WJPalmer on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added comment about possibly adding asymmetry to the game)
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I should be able to play tonight.
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Starting at 19:30 works fine for me as well. We can certainly play it as a HITS/GCM "Impromptu", if you prefer. That would make Garnier's Large Random Maps (or any of the others) available and, also likely bring in a few additional GCM players lingering about at that time if you're looking to expand the roster. This last is especially so if the word gets out a few hours ahead.

This also is possible, but in order to getting off to a prompt start, it would be best to have any settings changes decided in advance, sides determined, etc.
Sounds good Ron, although it sounds as if Ollie would struggle to make it before 20.00. Given that Stefan can do that if necessary, I suggest we settle on 20.00 UK time.

I would very much like to encourage more GCM players, but given the shortage of time now, and the need for a prompt start, this may not be the best day to do it? What do you think?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Hays wrote:I should be able to play tonight.
Bravo, brave Hays. Your presence is always an adornment to any battlefield.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Martin wrote:
WJPalmer wrote:Starting at 19:30 works fine for me as well. We can certainly play it as a HITS/GCM "Impromptu", if you prefer. That would make Garnier's Large Random Maps (or any of the others) available and, also likely bring in a few additional GCM players lingering about at that time if you're looking to expand the roster. This last is especially so if the word gets out a few hours ahead.

Sounds good Ron, although it sounds as if Ollie would struggle to make it before 20.00. Given that Stefan can do that if necessary, I suggest we settle on 20.00 UK time.

I would very much like to encourage more GCM players, but given the shortage of time now, and the need for a prompt start, this may not be the best day to do it? What do you think?

Martin (J)

Sure, 20:00 GMT is fine.

I agree that opening the game to inexperienced players (to HITS) could delay a prompt start. If you think best, it would be easy for me to take a quick look at TeamSpeak perhaps a half-hour ahead of the game to see if there might be a veteran or 2 on hand ready, willing & able to play.

Without doubt the quickest and easiest way to set up a game in this format is to use the GCM website tools (i.e., the battle queue, fixed side selection, map area selection, division sizes and composition, etc.). With that, we can use either the KS HITS or GCM Teamspeak HITS sub-channel as the group prefers.

Bravo, brave Hays. Your presence is always an adornment to any battlefield
Didn't realize Hays looked that good! Very Happy
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Sure, 20:00 GMT is fine.

I agree that opening the game to inexperienced players (to HITS) could delay a prompt start. If you think best, it would be easy for me to take a quick look at TeamSpeak perhaps a half-hour ahead of the game to see if there might be a veteran or 2 on hand ready, willing & able to play.
Excellent idea. Let's (you!) do that.

WJPalmer wrote:Without doubt the quickest and easiest way to set up a game in this format is to use the GCM website tools (i.e., the battle queue, fixed side selection, map area selection, division sizes and composition, etc.). With that, we can use either the KS HITS or GCM Teamspeak HITS sub-channel as the group prefers.
Absolutely. Many thanks for volunteering Very Happy

Aunt Sally .....how about 2 hours, 2 teams, corps level with most players taking smallish divisions, map selected by Ron, objectives as per last Saturday's game. Whichever Teamspeak channel Ron thinks easiest for him. Objections anyone?

Is it possible to produce sides & OOB before the game Ron, so we all know our roles in advance?

WJPalmer wrote:Didn't realize Hays looked that good! Very Happy
The best cosmetic surgery money can buy. Not sure of the background, but it's apparently something to do with a 2007 bank heist.........

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Is it possible to produce sides & OOB before the game Ron, so we all know our roles in advance?

I just happen to have a handy-dandy OOB spreadsheet available that I developed yesterday to help speed along game creation in HITS/GCM games. I can quickly set this up and circulate it once I have a bit of input on preferences (HITS/GCM defaults are in green as a reference, but the numbers can be anything you'd like):

CinC's:
Ollie
?

Do either/both CinC's wish to command a small reserve of infantry (1,500 men)?
What size for a standard infantry division? (3,600 men)?
Guns per division? (12 guns)

Other than the CinC's, do you want me to just assign players to sides?

My preference would be the GCM HITS sub-channel, as I can easily move players between channels when necessary in-game.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

That's great Ron. Many thanks again.

m

CinC's

Would prefer not. Would love to fight under Hays. But I'll do it if no-one else will.

Do either/both CinC's wish to command a small reserve of infantry (1,500 men)?

Yes please, if I'm one of them.

What size for a standard infantry division? (3,600 men)?
Guns per division? (12 guns)

Sounds good to me.

Other than the CinC's, do you want me to just assign players to sides?

Sounds good to me.

My preference would be the GCM HITS sub-channel, as I can easily move players between channels when necessary in-game.

Sounds good to me.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next