Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Autumn 2012 face-to-face games

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Autumn 2012 face-to-face games Empty Autumn 2012 face-to-face games

Post  Martin Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 am

I'm planning to book some dates for the hall early with Paulette. Am thinking we should aim for a game in each of September, October and November.

Some of our younger players still have another year at university, and hopefuly we can can make the September game early enough in that month that they will still be avaialable to play.

Are there any dates we should avoid due to wargame shows etc?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 2012 face-to-face games Empty Re: Autumn 2012 face-to-face games

Post  Martin Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Village hall is available on the following dates this autumn:

• September - 16th, 23rd, 29th, 30th

• October - 14th, 20th, 21st, 28th

• November - 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th

It may be best to doodle these to see which are most popular but before I do that, is anyone aware of any wargame shows or other events, so we can avoid them?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:32 pm

This link shows most of the UK games shows in 2012

http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk/calendar2012.html

Biggest clash is in Nov when Warfare in Reading is on. I think we clashed last year so best to avoid the 18th Nov

No other big clashes IMO.

I can maybe run a Vietnam game in Nov if we have no one else volunteer...

Need to agree dates with higher authority but something should be possible...

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks Mark. Yes, let's avoid 18th Nov.

We have volunteers for September and November, so it's just October we're missing at the moment. I do appreciate that you ran our last one however Very Happy

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm

We are still planning games in September, October & November, and now have volunteers to run all 3.

• September - Zombies attack Flatwood Park School. Looks as if this will be on the Sunday 23rd.

• October - subject to be advised

• November - Late Napoleonic strategic game

Have asked Paulette at the village hall to confirm whether all the dates previously advised for October & November are still available. Once that happens, we can firm up on dates for those game, probably via doodle.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:16 pm

A reminder that we are running face-to-face UK k/spiels in September, October & November. We now have topics, and also dates booked for all, after barely fending off the advances of 2 local drama groups for our slot at the village hall. Dates & topics are as follows:

Sunday 23rd September - Zombies attack Flatwood Park School. Confirmed for Sunday 23rd. It looks as if we have 10 confirmed players for this, which is not bad for such an unusual game, but could always fit more in http://doodle.com/u7uvxmbepihwinun

Sunday 14th October – Our first traditional Reisswitz detachments k/spiel for a while. Battalions of infantry, cavalry squadrons, artillery batteries and all that jazz. Probably also inaugural group AGM. http://doodle.com/pwtpdxbrwantahrg#table

Sunday 11th November - Late Napoleonic strategic game http://doodle.com/3q3qhc2kxzsrhvk5#table
Martin

Can you please use the doodle links above to register your availability for any of these dates if you have not already done so.

Paulette has asked if there is any chance we could start earlier than 11 am and thus finish before our usual 4.30 pm, so she could fit in a drama group as well on those dates. Is this doable? It would be nice to be helpful, but I have warned her that some of you travel quite a distance.

Martin

Last edited by Martin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:49 pm

If another group is close to making a booking I honestly suggest we book one of the October Sundays and one of the November ones at random and be done with it. If we delay we may lose all!

Perhaps the group could fix a date in its diaries for future years, such as 3rd Sunday of Sept/Oct/Nov then book these well in advance and that would be the end of it?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:If another group is close to making a booking I honestly suggest we book one of the October Sundays and one of the November ones at random and be done with it. If we delay we may lose all!

Perhaps the group could fix a date in its diaries for future years, such as 3rd Sunday of Sept/Oct/Nov then book these well in advance and that would be the end of it?
At the moment, they are holding all the dates for us, but it may come to that. It's possible that the guy running the October game is still in the Dordogne, so am reluctant to commit to one date without his say so.

I think there is great merit in your suggestion for future years.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Autumn 2012 face-to-face games Empty October game

Post  gunboat diplomat Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Dear all

Martin has kindly posted some doodle options for the October game which I will be organising. It will be a traditional C19th century detachments game which I can scale according to numbers.

Martin has included the link to the poll and we clearly need to get a date set early so please reply asap. That will help with my game planning as well!

On the wider issue of venue availability I agree with Digby that perhaps the time has come to pre book three dates in the Spring and Three in the Autumn. That should be enough pre notice for people to try and organise their other comitments and commit to the pleasure of our joint company! sep, Oct and Nov seem to be good months, which spring months should we go for?

Cheers

Steve

gunboat diplomat

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm

All sounds good to me.

If we are going for just 3 spring games, suggest Feb (late), Mar, Apr. Thus we avoid too much risk of bad weather, and those who like to be outside on good days are also happy. I supposed we could do a game in May to, if there are sufficient volunteers to run that number?

We did come under pressure earlier this year from the university contingent for a summer game, as they miss a lot of the others. However most are about to hit the job market, so that may not be an issue going forward.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Doodled the other months and I can not make Sept Game which is a pity as I would really liked to support that game...

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:23 pm

2 out of 3 ain't bad. Looks as if we have 8 for September at the moment. Which is ok, but it would be nice to have a few more.

We've had one play through so far and it does seem to work. I think Phil is going to post more details here shortly.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

After the rip-roaring September zombie-fest, we're back to more historical territory for the remaining games this year.

We have had to make some changes to the game schedule, due to work commitments and a double-booking at the village hall. On a more positive note, the request that we start and finish earlier has been withdrawn, so it’s a 11 am start and 4.30 finish as usual.

What follows is hopefully the final position. In view of the changes, I think it is safest to re-start doodle from scratch, so can you please re-register, even if you have previously notified your interest in these games.

Dates & topics are as follows:

Sunday 14th October – Late Napoleonic strategic game http://doodle.com/3fh4tg25wmqrqbvp?lt=2

Sunday 18th November - Our first traditional Reisswitz detachments k/spiel for a while. Battalions of infantry, cavalry squadrons, artillery batteries and all that jazz. http://doodle.com/zifi7n7b3p5fwxhi?lt=2

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Martin wrote:Sunday 14th October – Late Napoleonic strategic game

Can we have some more details about this please?

Thanks ...

Richard

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:22 pm

From what I have heard it could be 1813 in Germany or 1814 in France and will involve the movement of armies, corps and divisons over a large scale map with possibly several days per 'turn'. Combat will naturally be abstracted - if each turn is several days then battles will be obviously resolved during one turn, unless they are sieges.

That's my understanding from what was mentioned after the game last Sunday.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Hoping to make both....

Will the Hall be clear of Zombie mess / smell by then?

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

MJ1 wrote:Will the Hall be clear of Zombie mess / smell by then?
Absolutely. It was however necessary to destroy Little Gaddesden in order to save it.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:From what I have heard it could be 1813 in Germany or 1814 in France and will involve the movement of armies, corps and divisons over a large scale map with possibly several days per 'turn'. Combat will naturally be abstracted - if each turn is several days then battles will be obviously resolved during one turn, unless they are sieges.

That's my understanding from what was mentioned after the game last Sunday.
Just checked with the guy running the game, and it is indeed one of 1813 in Germany or 1814 in France. More details nearer the time as he doesn't want us all reading-up on the specific campaign! There are actually several possibile starting dates for each campaign, even if he uses exact historical forces & deployments (which me may not of course, this being a k/spiel).

Here's a reminder of the date and doodle link...............

Sunday 14th October – Late Napoleonic strategic game http://doodle.com/3fh4tg25wmqrqbvp?lt=2

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Martin wrote:
Just checked with the guy running the game, and it is indeed one of 1813 in Germany or 1814 in France. More details nearer the time as he doesn't want us all reading-up on the specific campaign! There are actually several possibile starting dates for each campaign, even if he uses exact historical forces & deployments (which me may not of course, this being a k/spiel).
Martin

I've just Doodled my name; I fancy being a Prussian commander for a change!

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 pm

More details on the 14th October game at Little Gaddesden. We have enough players to run it, but could certainly fit more in. Please doodle here if interested
http://doodle.com/3fh4tg25wmqrqbvp?lt=2

CENTRAL GERMANY AUGUST 16TH 1813. The Tsar and the King of Prussia have been trying to follow up the advantage gained by expelling Napoleon from Russia in the previous campaigning season. But their spring offensive this year was turned back by Napoleon at Lutzen, who despite a great inferiority in his cavalry arm, pushed the Allies yet further back and, but for the inadequacy of his Marshals, would have trapped their army at Bautzen.

Incredibly, however, Napoleon was then persuaded to sign an armistice (it is believed to gain time to bolster his cavalry). This has given the Allies valuable time to recover their balance, and has kept open the possibility of the Austrian Empire intervening once again on their side when it is ready to do so.

The Austrian army has been assembling in Bohemia and is believed now ready to fight. It has not yet declared war on France, but is rumoured to await only a good moment to do so. However the Austrians are also believed fearful of being attacked by Napoleon while the Allies are too far away to intervene.

The future of Europe hangs in the balance.........

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Ah... the Leipzig campaign. Good choice. A very subtle cat-and-mouse strategic position. If its balanced out well this could be very interesting. I hope it'll be a fast-moving game though.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:58 pm

A final reminder that next Sunday's game at Little Gaddesden will start at 11 am. We now have 8 players (possibly 9) but could still fit more in. Please doodle here if interested
http://doodle.com/3fh4tg25wmqrqbvp?lt=2

Martin

CENTRAL GERMANY AUGUST 16TH 1813. The Tsar and the King of Prussia have been trying to follow up the advantage gained by expelling Napoleon from Russia in the previous campaigning season. But their spring offensive this year was turned back by Napoleon at Lutzen, who despite a great inferiority in his cavalry arm, pushed the Allies yet further back and, but for the inadequacy of his Marshals, would have trapped their army at Bautzen.

Incredibly, however, Napoleon was then persuaded to sign an armistice (it is believed to gain time to bolster his cavalry). This has given the Allies valuable time to recover their balance, and has kept open the possibility of the Austrian Empire intervening once again on their side when it is ready to do so.

The Austrian army has been assembling in Bohemia and is believed now ready to fight. It has not yet declared war on France, but is rumoured to await only a good moment to do so. However the Austrians are also believed fearful of being attacked by Napoleon while the Allies are too far away to intervene.

The future of Europe hangs in the balance.........

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

Megan should probably be there again. This will be her first ever actual historical wargame. She's played about (when she was much younger) with some Total War type stuff on PC and she plays lots of FPS and driving/racing games on Xbox but she's never done any 'real' wargaming, so this could be interesting.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 am

Mr. Digby wrote:Megan should probably be there again. This will be her first ever actual historical wargame. She's played about (when she was much younger) with some Total War type stuff on PC and she plays lots of FPS and driving/racing games on Xbox but she's never done any 'real' wargaming, so this could be interesting.
Excellent. I shall always remember the way she saw off the 'bullies' in the zombie game. Some things just stick in the mind. Like you launching a samurai charge on the lawnmower.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 am

Martin wrote:
Mr. Digby wrote:Megan should probably be there again. This will be her first ever actual historical wargame. She's played about (when she was much younger) with some Total War type stuff on PC and she plays lots of FPS and driving/racing games on Xbox but she's never done any 'real' wargaming, so this could be interesting.
Excellent. I shall always remember the way she saw off the 'bullies' in the zombie game. Some things just stick in the mind. Like you launching a samurai charge on the lawnmower.

Martin
As I wasn't her umpire in the second game I didn't hear her description of how she had her cheerleaders see off the bullies although I think her character actually shot their ringleader didn't she?

The fact the 1813 game sounds like it will be a high-level strategy game and one won't need to understand the finer points of lines, squares, skirmnishing, cavalry charges and deploying batteries should be a good thing. If its just a case of hurling divisions around things should be fine.

I'll tell her to consider Napoleon to be the head bully and her Prussians to be cheerleaders and it'll be fine.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next