» 24th November face to face game at LG. The War of 1810
by Martin Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:46 pm

» Veterans/Remembrance Day game?
by Charmead Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:46 pm

» A Little Archaeology for Les Grognards
by King_Rufus Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 am

» Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.
by Mr. Digby Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:27 pm

» Full size Kriegsspiel maps downloadable free from Pinterest
by Mr. Digby Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 pm

» TableTop Simulator
by King_Rufus Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 pm

» Maps of Suabia - Strassburg to Augsburg
by King_Rufus Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:17 pm

» 20th October 2019 face to face game at Little Gaddesdon
by Martin Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:37 pm

» Looking to try the game and have some questions
by James Sterrett Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:25 am

» Scourge of war Waterloo with VR headset ?
by James Sterrett Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:15 am

» Waterloo OOB/blocks
by Martin Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am

Statistics
We have 1073 registered users
The newest registered user is barrent

Our users have posted a total of 26607 messages in 2079 subjects

I forgot my password

Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.

Go down

Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.  Empty Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.

Post  King_Rufus on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 pm

is found HERE at the Academia site .. but skip the first couple of pages.

John Curry's HISTORY OF WARGAMING site is also very interesting, and sells a number of reprints of wargaming classics, including Charge!, Little Wars, and the Featherstone books.
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.  Empty Re: Potted history of Kriegsspiel and of Wargaming in general.

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Unfortunately it is an entirely US-centric view and misses out a lot of crucial activity from Britain and Europe. H G Wells and "Little Wars" is quickly dismissed as not very influential when in the United Kingdom it was immensely influential and the article them goes on to cover in more detail than is really necessary, the board game genre which was almost entirely US-publisher driven in the 70s.

Miniatures wargaming seems to get completely ignored. For my own early hobby miniatures were everything and board games hardly even came onto my radar which was also the case with the wargaming clubs I attended in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The extremely active British miniatures wargaming hobby of the 60s and 70s is entirely omitted as are all the movers and shakers of that community at that time.

Dungeons & Dragons gets a mention but its British authors do not (!). D&D is not really even a wargame, it is an RPG and therefore quite a different category of military simulation, or story-telling.

I was somewhat disappointed and a little irritated by the narrow American view of the article.

Fletcher Pratt gets no mention that I could see when his naval wargames of the 1920s and 30s were used as staff college teaching aids by US naval personnel in the inter-war years.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum