Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod

4 posters

Go down

Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod Empty Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod

Post  courtoisville Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi,

I find the KS mod quite enjoyable and realistic, except for what pertains to moving artillery units forward, even if the way and areas ahead are "clear" and deserted by enemy units. I can understand them being a little bit skittish, for instance if there are enemy units in the vicinity, but as far as I could experience, I see no good reason for not obeying my orders when the firts ennemy units are more thant 600 yards from my artillery units.

Furthermore, playing the French, I can hardly get the reserve artillery units of the Imperial Guard (Gen Desvaux de Saint Maurice) to obey my move orders: those units move back and forth, without being ordered to do so. This is rather frustrating. Can anybody help me find an explaination and solution?

Thanks

courtoisville

Back to top Go down

Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod Empty Re: Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod.

If the enemy is ~600 yd. away, the battery commander will begin looking for a place to deploy the battery. This may well be in a spot you don't feel is appropriate. The only way to prevent that is to TC the battery commander and place the battery where you want it. In general though, the battery commander tends to do a better job in correctly siting a battery than the player.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod Empty Re: Maneuvering artillery units playing SOWW with KS mod

Post  courtoisville Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:40 am

Hi,

Thank you for this quick reply. In such cases, I do try to take command of the battery, but when it moves forward, it retreats even further than its initial position (KS mods 128 or 129).

And for Général Desvaux de St Maurice’s units, it is worse, without finding a logical explaination.

courtoisville

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:29 am

I have found that deploying artillery behind friendly troops works well, then bound them forward with "advance 100/200/300 yard" orders under the combat tab. At all times TC the battery commander until he is in a position you like, then un-TC him and issue him "all out attack" orders.

I do not know if the KS Mod's .dll file takes account of friends between a battery and an enemy but guns do seem to prefer to be supported when they are ordered to deploy and planting a heavy skirmish screen or a battalion in line a couple of hundred yards ahead of your guns seems to calm the crews nerves a bit!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  courtoisville Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks Digby, I will try.

courtoisville

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 pm

I am so used to TCing battery commanders the whole time. Habits from SoW Gettysburg carried into earlier KS mods. Will trust the AI in future. Glad the question was asked!
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down